flute or t500 for neutral?

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

flute or t500 for neutral?

Post by Shovelhead89 »

I picked up a 6 plate ss modular bubble cap flute yesterday to start making whiskey. I've been using a turbo 500 for some time now to make neutral. Would I be better off using my flute to make neutral or strip with the flute and fill the turbo with low wines? Or any other options given the equipment I have.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: flute or t500 for neutral?

Post by yakattack »

Are your plates lose? Or soldered in? If they are lose then keep them out and put your packing in after a few strip runs. I'm building my flute and I'll be running 3 to 5 plates with about a 20 to 24 inch backed section above it.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

Post by Shovelhead89 »

yakattack wrote:Are your plates lose? Or soldered in? If they are lose then keep them out and put your packing in after a few strip runs. I'm building my flute and I'll be running 3 to 5 plates with about a 20 to 24 inch backed section above it.

Yak
Not a bad idea, so remove all the plates and fill the column up with rolled up copper mesh?
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Nah. I'd used lava rock (scoria) or marbles before copper mesh. (If your column is ss make sure you do add some copper mesh but not the whole column. ) but the cats meow would be spp sized for your column diameter. But copper mesh would still work.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

Your plated column will make a nice neutral, you might just have to run it through twice. Even twice through would still be quicker than a t500.

Adding a packable section would be a nice addition, but you'll need all 6 plates under it for good clean single run vodka.

You wont want 6 plates for flavoured stuff.
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Thanks for setting that straight empty. I'll have to make sure I make a 6th plate for mine as well.

Yak
Dima
Novice

Post by Dima »

Its been some time now since original post but it seems to be close to what I am after :)
How did you end up going about it ?
I have 3"4plate flute and got a 21" piece i can fill with lava rock or ss scrubies
Or i can add 4 more plates, i got a piece of copper sheet left that i can make another removable tree and put it inside 21" piece
Or the other option i am considering is making a 6" pipe with boka plates in it, im wondering if it worth it :)