almost there....

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tommy

almost there....

Post by Tommy »

I am in the middle stage of my vavled reflux still with offset still head. Basically I have all the peices for the column and still head ready to be welded together (I made my double helix coil today!). But, before I weld my still head to the column I have two questions..

:?: What size should I make my boiler? I have 6 gallon fermenters, and I read that your boiler should be about 3/4 filled with your wash. So, should I make it about 10 gallons? (I work in a fab shop so I can use all the stainless and copper I want, or need)

:?: Then, how long should I make the column? I have a peice of 2" copper left over from the still head parts that measures about 8 feet in length. And, my condenser is 3" x 10" and is nearly filled with 20' of 1/4" copper tubing (double helix).
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Boiler headroom depends a lot on what you are heating. You don't need a lot of headroom for a sugar wash but I have heard some good stories about foaming washes! 9-10 gal sounds like a reasonable target to me. Too big can be bad, too, as it may take too much wash to cover elements (only if using elements, that is!). Depends on shape, naturally. You are in a good position as you can get the proportions/shape right.

How about 3' 8ish" for the column? This would be about right for good separation capability.

Good luck and have fun.
Cheers,
Lindsay.