3" boka ?'s

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jeepshaun
Novice

3" boka ?'s

Post by Jeepshaun »

48 inch 3" column
Boka head
Keg 15.5 gallon boiler
How large of an output and valve should a 3" use
And how long a double reflux coil in 3/8
Any help is greatly appreciated thanks the new guy
rad14701
retired

Re: 3" boka ?'s

Post by rad14701 »

Most here would recommend a 3/8" take off and needle valve for your 3" Bokakob...

Your reflux condenser should be in the 8" range... I have a calculator posted around here, somewhere in these forums, that will aid you in determining how much copper it will take to make either a single or double helix condenser...

Here is the Condenser Coil Calculator topic...
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Go large diameter before the takeoff valve. It helps keep that part of the still strong. A 3" column can be tall (4' packing or so) and that takeoff is skinny by comparison. With water lines and all that jazz, it is easy to apply enough leverage there by mistake so that it causes damage. Been there myself...

I run a 3" LM most of the time and would recommend 1/2" diameter takeoff in type L rigid copper.

There are models over at Still Dragon for dual slant plate sections using 3/4" TC for the takeoff, and that looks ideal IMO. Pretty cool ideas out there.

I made a cross brace once for the product cooler and that worked great for it's purpose. Unfortunately it jacked up the temperature gradient in the column and had to go.
Attachments
20160212_135316 (450 x 800).jpg
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

I run 24 inch (I think, or there abouts might be 32inch) of packed 3 inch and get azeo at over 1 gph. Take that as you will.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Jeepshaun
Novice

Post by Jeepshaun »

Thanks for the info everyone I'm excited to get this build finished.
Are there any templates for the books 30 degree plates for a 3"
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Jeepshaun wrote:Thanks for the info everyone I'm excited to get this build finished.
Are there any templates for the books 30 degree plates for a 3"
There are templates here in the forums for 1.5", 2", and 3"...
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Bear Wrote,

I made a cross brace once for the product cooler and that worked great for it's purpose. Unfortunately it jacked up the temperature gradient in the column and had to go.
Same here. Had to replace the copper brace with a wood dowel.....Lost some cool.....but gained some control.
Jeepshaun
Novice

Post by Jeepshaun »

I have tried searching for the templates and no luck found one for a 2" but not a 3"
UnSub
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by UnSub »

Scale the 2" print up to 150% and adjust up/down for better fit.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

For my Boka, a 3" 48"column I made a condenser that consisted of a 3/4 inch copper pipe that extended 10" from the 3" cap i used to cap the top with. to the bottom of the 3/4 pipe i had teed in 2 tubes that acted as a double wound spiral, one was 3/8" the other was 1/4 " .

The flow of water went down the cold finger then flowed up the spirals to exit again out the top where they Teed together to drain off.

the tip of the cold finger was within 2 inches of the plates.

on the Boka i was running 4500 watt element. and that condenser put down any vapor i could throw at it.

i also used a 3/8" takoff.
Attachments
condenser.png
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

As big a takeoff as you can get. You won't regret it.

Nice site glass addition Bear!
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Jeepshaun
Novice

Post by Jeepshaun »

i was going to make a mudular liebig i have the fittings for a 3/8 take off with a 3/4 jacket and 1/2 inch water inlet and outlet what do you thing would be a good length for and allaround liebig for use with boka and pot still
Spriit Tisler
Swill Maker

Post by Spriit Tisler »

I was wondering when I'm planning to make some adjustments to my still(increase packing length from 0.9 to 1.4m), if I'd just get another pipe flange and attach a 3" column to it. Would it allow for how much higher speed @ azeo? I'd only need a 3" SS tube, a flange and little pieces of steel plate and tubes for reflux flow and takeoff and fill it with raschig rings, stuff I've either got or have at very reasonable price from my local junkyard.

Do I need a bigger burner? I've got 5000w gas for my 50L boiler, and at strip it gives about 4L/h and I feel it could push somewhat more because the column can easily knock down all vapors and raschigs do not choke even at full blast, unlike ss scrubbers.