How can I salvage this pipe to build a new column?

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

oakback
Novice

How can I salvage this pipe to build a new column?

Post by oakback »

pic album

I got this pipe from a neighbor, they're 3" copper and stainless. I thought worst case, for the copper, I could de-solder the joints and soak in acid and/or wire wheel all the oxidation off.

If the welds are sketchy on the ss pipe, would there be anything wrong with cutting off the sections to have straight pipe and have a new head section welded on? I was hoping to make a condenser-controlled still like DAD300 posted somewhere on here.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How can I salvage this pipe to build a new column?

Post by FullySilenced »

All those ideas are good ones... on the copper cut out the solder sections as you don't know what type of solder was used...

ends can be install on all of it ... do some reading...

happy stilling,

FS
Last edited by FullySilenced on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Are you sure that is stainless steel tube? Have you tried a magnet on it? I ask this after looking at the welds. I have never seen a stainless weld look like that. It almost looks like there was some fuming similar to what happens when you weld a coated pipe. Just wanting you to be safe.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

I've got to agree with Corene, I'm not sure that's SS pipe. Those weld heat marks look like a galvanized coating.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Kinda looks like aluminized steel exhaust pipe
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Post your pics here locally on the HD server and you'll get more responses... I won't view externally hosted pics, nor will many other members, due to security issues... Please refer to the Image Uploading and Posting Etiquette topic in the Forum Rules, Notifications and Helpful Hints forum... You should have already read that entire forum as part of what we consider mandatory research...
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

does look like aluminized steel tubing .... except for the copper one LOL
oakback
Novice

Post by oakback »

I found out these were definitely used for distilling (different stills for alcohol/water/not sure what else). I found his kegs too, already outfitted with electric elements, treaded neck, and insulation. 4 kegs altogether.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

OK guys slow down, Oak back you can get cheap tester kits to make sure you joints ate lead free. I would deffinatly do that before considering cutting what may well be a safe still.
The other stainless one looked to me to be standard 409 exhaust grade stainless steel or similer with a low chromium and nickel content, a magnet will tell the story there. Generally folks will recommend grades 304 and 316 or similar for use in distillation as these have a much higher nickel chrome content and provided joints are satisfactorily pickled should better resist corrosion and contamination. It might be the way the photo is taken but yours looks dodgy.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
oakback
Novice

Post by oakback »

Would different steel be safe to use for distilling water?