using DWV (drain) pipe in reflux still ??

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

eternalfrost
Trainee

using DWV (drain) pipe in reflux still ??

Post by eternalfrost »

so ive been having a real pain in the arse finding large diameter pipe in my town. checked the big stores and the scrap shop. so i decided to go looking online.

found some really good deals right off the bat. my one question though is if its ok to use DWV grade pipe. i looked it up and basically all copper pipe by law has to be 99.9% copper, the difference between the 'L' 'M' and 'DWV' is just the wall thickness. DVW isnt rated for any pressure so cant be used to carry water except for drainage. because of this its like 1/4 the price.

since all still dont build any pressure by design it should be AOK to use yes?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

From what you've said .Yes
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

DWV works fine.

NOTE we are not putting "pressure" on the pipe. That is the main reason to use L or M. If we had 100 lb per sq in, them DWV is not ideal.

The DWV is a little thinner, and much cheaper. It is all I have used, and works fine.

For me, DWV is about $80 for a 10', and M is about $110 for the same 10'. Cheaper yes, but not 1/4 the cost (for 2").

H.
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

Husker wrote:DWV works fine.

NOTE we are not putting "pressure" on the pipe. That is the main reason to use L or M. If we had 100 lb per sq in, them DWV is not ideal.

The DWV is a little thinner, and much cheaper. It is all I have used, and works fine.

For me, DWV is about $80 for a 10', and M is about $110 for the same 10'. Cheaper yes, but not 1/4 the cost (for 2").

H.
thats what i figured. well for me its wither 10 feet of M at lowes for 170 or about 12 bucks for 4 feet of DWV online haha
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

$12 for 48" is cheap, no matter where you are. NOTE the shipping make drastically change that price (like triple it), but I have not head of $3 per foot anywhere

H.
nutmg1
Swill Maker

Post by nutmg1 »

12 bucks for 4 feet?

Wow Its 14 bucks a foot here in Denver.
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

the beauty of eBay my friends :D

22 bucks total including shipping for 4 feet of 2 inch copper

sure beats the 70+ the local scrap dealers wanted, copper prices are shooting through the roof lately
blind drunk
retired

Re: using DWV (drain) pipe in reflux still ??

Post by blind drunk »

Just got 12' of this for $50. More than I need, but the scrappy wouldn't cut it. I guess it's a good deal. Do regular fittings work for DWV tubes, like t's and caps, ferrules, etc. The stamp says 2" on it. Want to make a VM with it.
I do all my own stunts
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

BD, in short..yes...they'll work — although some may fit a little loose before soldering them up. I haven't found it to be a problem (using standard fittings on DWV).
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

So just a basic soldering will do the job? Nothing too highly technical for a grunt dunce like me?
I do all my own stunts
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

You won't have "any" problems with it BD. Just treat it same as always. :D
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Thanks. Never done any soldering before :thumbup:
I do all my own stunts
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

:lol: :lol:
maritime
Novice

Post by maritime »

although some may fit a little loose before soldering them up.
the od stays the same
the ID changes with schedule

you can use pressure or DWV fittings on it.
7 year column distiller
makes pretty good barn vodka
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

So I’m going to start swapping out some of the SS pieces from my reflux still for copper. I’ve got 2 copper ferrules (2” OD/1.870 ID) that I’d like to attach a 12” copper riser to. My question is, do you guys think 2” DWV will be too thin to fit inside? I’d like as tight a fit as I can get. Could I go a little thicker with an “M” type pipe? I know NZChris had a little input on this subject in another posting but it was mainly regarding “M” type. I’ve never worked with the thin DRAIN WASTE VENT pipe and I worry about how it’ll handle daily use.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

that is certainly a convoluted question.

if you are worried about wearing out DWV. not in your lifetime most likely.

as to fitment K, L, M, and DWV are all the same OD. the thickness is made

up with the ID. look on the net for an ID/OD chart. that is why some ferules

fit well press fit and some don't. ALL dimensions for pipe and ferules are

available on the net.
Last edited by cob on Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be water my friend
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Thanks for the advice cob. I’ve never worked with copper. So any advice is appreciated. I’ll do more research on the inter webs and update with pictures of my work.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I have no idea of the designation of my copper pipe.
But it is quite heavy and I got it (old and very) second-hand and cheap.

Helps to make up for the amounts spent on work done by poor tradesmen.

Geoff
The Baker
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

All of the shotguns and stills I've made for members have been with Type L 2" pipe. A few months ago I picked up some 2" DWV to see how it was to work with. The pipe is quite a bit lighter/thinner than Type L and the ID noticeably larger (2.041 vs 1.985). Because of this, my ferrules (Brewers Hardware) had too much slop to just fill with solder and required filling the gap with a strip of soldered then grinded copper sheet. In the end I wasn't happy with the end result (these were 2x20" spools for a CCVM rig) so I took them apart and just went with Type L. Depending on what material you use to fill the gaps, your joint might not end up perfectly square, which may cause your copper spools to be out of plumb and to tilt slightly.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Stonecutter wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:02 pm So I’m going to start swapping out some of the SS pieces from my reflux still for copper. I’ve got 2 copper ferrules (2” OD/1.870 ID) that I’d like to attach a 12” copper riser to. My question is, do you guys think 2” DWV will be too thin to fit inside? I’d like as tight a fit as I can get. Could I go a little thicker with an “M” type pipe? I know NZChris had a little input on this subject in another posting but it was mainly regarding “M” type. I’ve never worked with the thin DRAIN WASTE VENT pipe and I worry about how it’ll handle daily use.
All of my stills have been DWV (3" & 2"), it works great. Can't answer your question though the fit since the ferrules might be different sizes and I used stainless fittings.

Overall dwv is pipe like any other, it's not as thick, but in a practical sense that just means it's lighter, as others mentioned you're never going to wear through it.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

cob wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:37 pm that is certainly a convoluted question.

if you are worried about wearing out DWV. not in your lifetime most likely.

as to fitment K, L, M, and DWV are all the same OD. the thickness is made

up with the ID. look on the net for an ID/OD chart. that is why some ferules

fit well press fit and some don't. ALL dimensions for pipe and ferules are

available on the net.
Thanks for the gentle nudge into the big boy pool Cob. I followed your advice and did some simple searches regarding ID/OD charts and from the ferrule dimensions I have I’m going to go with type “M” for the tightest fit around the ferrule. Not to hi-jack the thread too much but.. I’m super stoked to be adding this small “upgrade” to my rig. My brother is an HVAC guy and will be helping me with the braising/fluxing…me thinks this hobby is now starting to become a “family tradition”
Expat wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:51 am
Stonecutter wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:02 pm So I’m going to start swapping out some of the SS pieces from my reflux still for copper. I’ve got 2 copper ferrules (2” OD/1.870 ID) that I’d like to attach a 12” copper riser to. My question is, do you guys think 2” DWV will be too thin to fit inside? I’d like as tight a fit as I can get. Could I go a little thicker with an “M” type pipe? I know NZChris had a little input on this subject in another posting but it was mainly regarding “M” type. I’ve never worked with the thin DRAIN WASTE VENT pipe and I worry about how it’ll handle daily use.
All of my stills have been DWV (3" & 2"), it works great. Can't answer your question though the fit since the ferrules might be different sizes and I used stainless fittings.

Overall dwv is pipe like any other, it's not as thick, but in a practical sense that just means it's lighter, as others mentioned you're never going to wear through it.
I’m sure I’ll be doing more copper work in the future and I will definitely pick up some of the cheaper DWV stuff, thanks for the advice Brother. :thumbup:
-Thomas Paine