convert internal to valved reflux

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

allen42
Bootlegger

convert internal to valved reflux

Post by allen42 »

Hey been yall, its been a good while since I posted . I have a question, I now have a Internal reflux still , its built per instructions on the site "how to build a world class still" it is pretty much the same internal as he shows how to make, the only difference is the way I couple my colum to the beer keg, i welded a SS Flange to the keg & also welded a 2" SS female coupling to the upper flange. ANYWAY , what i was wanting to know is , Can I turn this into a valved reflux by placeing a "T" with needle valves on 2 legs of the "T" with one being out put & the other going back into the colum 5-6" above the keg ? I want to build be a Valved reflux like is shown on the same web site and stil ldo, but in the mean time can I just modfiy the internal into a valved ?

Thanks

Allen42
Hawke
retired

Re: convert internal to valved reflux

Post by Hawke »

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Oaty
Swill Maker

Post by Oaty »

Yeah, read that one . It's an ongiong discussion on how to fix your screw-up.Why don't you wait to see haow it turns out. When I'm done I'll post step by step pictures and instructions.

However, you could get started on the condenser. I'd use Hook's design. It's really a good one.Just see my post!
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink-- under any circumstances.
- Mark Twain's Notebook
Oaty
Swill Maker

Post by Oaty »

I just re-read your post. Mine is based on the the Internal Reflux from Moonshine.com... I assumed that they were the same. Do you have a URL?
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink-- under any circumstances.
- Mark Twain's Notebook
allen42
Bootlegger

Post by allen42 »

Hi Otay, this is the link where I got my instructions from http://homedistiller.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I was thinking of adding the "T" & valves after the water jacket but before the output arm.which is about 5inches above the top on the keg & within the 1st 5" on the colum where the retun would be drilled & silver soldered in place. Thanks for the replys

Allen
Oaty
Swill Maker

Post by Oaty »

As usual homedistiller URLs just point you to the opening page. This is my design . Is it the same as yours? moonshine-still.com/page11.htm...

It's seems to be the most common screwed up internal reflux around here. It stills great. You get high abv, but you have no control over the heads. "Gotta kick, but makes ya' sick." :lol: Not really, but it does taste bad, unless you run it a couple times.

Basically, what I am doing is:

1) cut off cooling tubes through the column and capping.
2) built a condenser per Hook's design - see my thread for extensive pictures & reasons for using it.
3) place in a bokakob head with the downspot tube- I'd advise using the one Hawke suggested instead page 2 of my thread-alot easier.
4) attach the bokakob and re-attatch the liebig condenser to the column using tri-clamps - this allows use as a refux and the old liebig portion as a pot still. All you have to do is use tri plate cover for the section not in use.

When I'm done I'll have step by step pix you can view. In the meantime you can build your condenser. I basically used the coiling jig under related hardware/winding a coil page 2. It works great. Just fill with salt to prevent kinks. Afterward remove the salt by hooking the coil up to a coupling to hose adapter run it for several hours of hot water on your sink tub. It will only dribble for a couple hours, but eventually you'll get free flow.
- Mark Twain's Notebook
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

One thing I found while building my last coil. If you hold onto the ends of your fresh wound coil and gently twist it back and forth a few times, it will release the salt a whole lot easier. Only took about 5 minutes for my tripple to clear.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
allen42
Bootlegger

Post by allen42 »

Hawke & Oaty thanks so much for yall's reply ... but I THINK I will keep this still & just make me a new one from scratch . I am lucky enough to have free acess to almost everything I need. I'll try to post some pics of my new one when i finish

Thanks again

Allen