Gin basket placment

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

butterpants
Swill Maker

Gin basket placment

Post by butterpants »

I have the ability to place a gin basket just about anywhere in the column I want. What is the preferred location? (ex before or after cold finger, between packing, top of all packing)

Thanks!

-BP
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Gin basket placment

Post by Expat »

The answer depends on the type of column you're running. Generally, It should be in the vapour flow and above any kind of active reflux or packing so the flavor ends up in your product and not refluxed into your boiler.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by NZChris »

What are you going to charge the boiler with?
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

ExpatLad wrote:The answer depends on the type of column you're running. Generally, It should be in the vapour flow and above any kind of active reflux or packing so the flavor ends up in your product and not refluxed into your boiler.
+ 1 - what type of column are you running ?
OVZ
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Boiler charged with 30-40% low wines. For me the ability to strip quick right when wash is done then sit on wines for a while till I'm ready for large spirit runs just works for me.

Stainless CM column packed w/ copper. A MileHi torpedo pro 3" tower I think it's called. The sight glass section will become the gin basket after a catch screen gasket is used below it. It can be moved above/below the cold finger, in this stock photo it is below. Based upon the advice here, I'll assemble it differently.
pro.jpg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you use low wines, you need to organize your basket so that you don't pass the heads through your botanicals. This can be done with a Carter Head, but they are normally offset, not placed in the column. Personally, I would never try to shortcut the process by skipping a spirit run.

You may run into problems if you try to run all of the botanicals in a basket the same diameter as your column.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=68785
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Thanks Chris. I've not made any Gin products but had a fleeting thought down the line to try it. Like most things in life it's more complicated than at first glance. I will need to research this and probably have something offset built or find kit that mates up with my 3" existing column. I don't much like halfassery.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I think if you research most forums this topic has been fully discussed with a huge difference of opinions with strong arguments for its location. When the National ADI conference was in Seattle I attended a workshop on gin. We tasted various varieties of gin flavored botanicals and also tasted gin where the basket was close to the boiler and also after the RC on the downward flow torts the PC. I guess at my age my palette is not as fine tuned as it used to be but I didn't notice a difference in taste.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It might be simpler than you think. I make mine in a saucepan and steamer, which gives me a gin basket the same diameter and volume as the boiler and probably larger than you were thinking you would have in your column. It lets me do small experiments but, if I want a large batch of gin, I do what some of the commercials do and pack several times the amount of botanicals into the still and cut it later with neutral. It can make over a gallon just as easily as it makes a fifth.
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

NZChris wrote:It might be simpler than you think. I make mine in a saucepan and steamer, which gives me a gin basket the same diameter and volume as the boiler and probably larger than you were thinking you would have in your column. It lets me do small experiments but, if I want a large batch of gin, I do what some of the commercials do and pack several times the amount of botanicals into the still and cut it later with neutral. It can make over a gallon just as easily as it makes a fifth.

I think whenever you post you should include a diagram or photos of whatever you're talking about. It's like this: I know you have something knowledgeable to say...and I want to understand...but for the life of me I have a hard time envisioning what the heck you're doing.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

NZChris wrote:It might be simpler than you think. I make mine in a saucepan and steamer, which gives me a gin basket the same diameter and volume as the boiler and probably larger than you were thinking you would have in your column. It lets me do small experiments but, if I want a large batch of gin, I do what some of the commercials do and pack several times the amount of botanicals into the still and cut it later with neutral. It can make over a gallon just as easily as it makes a fifth.
So like my essential oil still. I am making a one gallon larger dedicated to gin and absinthe, by rerunning hearts at 40% through with the botanicals. Below if you haven't seen it is my essential oil set up.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 95&t=63987
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

butterpants wrote:I think whenever you post you should include a diagram or photos of whatever you're talking about. It's like this: I know you have something knowledgeable to say...and I want to understand...but for the life of me I have a hard time envisioning what the heck you're doing.
Pot and Basket.jpg
Gin run leftovers.jpg
By having a large basket that matches the size of the boiler, you can make a highly concentrated distillation. Essentially a gin essence, which can be diluted down with neutral.
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Worth 1000 words...easy! Thank you
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Just my 2 cents.
I have a 5 gallon pot still with thumper.
copper pot.jpg
copper pot.jpg (18.94 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
Despite "conventional wisdom" I am going to distill something I am going to call GIN.
Debating exactly how to do it, whether infusion or putting botanicals in the thumper or in the arm.
For that last option I ordered this stainless steel tea ball from Ebay:
Tea Basket Choices.jpg
I ordered the 4.5 cm to put in the arm, cost less than $2.00, but they have options up to 11.5 cm.
Suggestions are welcome.
:mrgreen:
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Just my 2 cents.
I have a 5 gallon pot still with thumper.
copper pot.jpg
copper pot.jpg (18.94 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
Despite "conventional wisdom" I am going to distill something I am going to call GIN.
Debating exactly how to do it, whether infusion or putting botanicals in the thumper or in the arm.
For that last option I ordered this stainless steel tea ball from Ebay:
Tea Ball.jpg
I ordered the 4.5 cm to put in the arm, cost less than $2.00, but they have options up to 11.5 cm.
Suggestions are welcome.
:mrgreen:
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Nice
greenthumb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greenthumb »

I have a actual offset gin basket, but i have also ordered one of these infuse cages for the boiler 😏