Bokakob build

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Bokakob build

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I've come to the conclusion that I need a reflux still to more efficiently make vodka (as a base for gin). I don't need to make the most pure neutral spirit because my end goal is gin, and I don't mind a few good flavors in my vodka.

As a simple minded pot stiller, I appreciate the design of the Boka reflux still, although, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around all of the theory.

So here's a run through of what I was thinking: 13gal boiler, fired by 60-120,000 btu propane burner, 3" x 36" packed column (copper mesh), topped by a 10" wrapped (double coil) cold finger in a 12" section (total column height 48"), 3/8" (or maybe 1/2") take off with a liebig condenser (because I have an extra one)

Short story is I'm limited by height in the new garage that I'll be moving into by an 8' ceiling, the keg and propane stand with a 4"x3" reducer (I have a 4" sanitary connection on top of the keg) measure 40" . total height of set up would be 88" plus the input/output of condenser.
I think it's pretty straight forward. Any questions, comments, concerns?
13.5g/50L keg
modular 3" pot/VM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
26g 4" stripping still
5500watts of fury
Bushman
Admin

Re: Bokakob build

Post by Bushman »

Nothing against that still but I think a well designed CM or CCVM allows a lot more flexibility. I have not used my VM still in over 3 years.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I checked out the CCVM. It's an interesting way of distilling. Although, I think I'll stick to the vapor management of the Boka. It makes the most sense to me.

And scratch the cold finger condenser, the CSST condenser looks awesome! I'll go with that.

I know I'll lack purity with the 36" packed column, but I'm really hoping to have a fast distillation rate with the 3" diameter. But the long term idea here is that the Boka still setup is modular. I can unclamp the reflux condenser & plates to clamp on a 90 deg bend to a carter head, and I have an off-set gin still!
Last edited by The Booze Pipe on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13.5g/50L keg
modular 3" pot/VM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
26g 4" stripping still
5500watts of fury
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

I had a similar issue with height constrictions, So I switched my coil for a crossflow condenser; greater cooling for less height.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd