New flute build /buy

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

freefall
Swill Maker

New flute build /buy

Post by freefall »

I know most on here would build there own. I would prefer to do so myself. But I am just not getting things done. I priced around at Larry's site as well as MH.
I will be ordering stainless column sections from Larry and sieve plates from MH. Not Naming because I don't know there standing on this forum.
I will gladly edit after someone tells me its ok.
So I will build the shotgun and the dephelemator.
Dephlegemator will most likely be 4x4.5 used in a 6 inch jacket. internals will be 5x3/4 hard tube.(1.0 o.d.)
The shotgun will be 2.0 copper jacket about 20 inches over 4 .5 hard copper tubes.(.625 o.d.)
I drew a few sketches up in cad. These seem to be the quickest for me to build.
At this point I think this will be my final build. At lest my last still. I currently run a bolkabob and a pot still head. I would like to cut down on my still times.
I enjoy it...But I have had 14 hour days on the Bolka. Pot still time adds up too. I usually do an 11 gallon run or so. strip untill I have enough for 2 spirit runs.
My spirit runs usually end up being about 6-8 hours for 11 gallons.
Trying to run when the kids are with their mother makes for some really long days.

I will try and keep everyone in the loop as things come in and I get some stuff build.
As a P.S. Thanks Green for the advise and help in design that you have given.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New flute build /buy

Post by raketemensch »

I built my flute in a similar way, but my condensers are both based on DAD300’s corrugated stainless gas line method. The PC took all of about 10 minutes, and the dephleg was about the same, except for the drilling through stainless and getting the ins/outs sealed.

I picked up my plates on eBay, the whole thing came together very quickly.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

I was seriously looking on ebay for plates. I came across full perf. plates with down comers at MH. I Have been wanting to do a modular unit. So 3-5 sections all removable and able to run in the dishwasher.
I have the 2" copper for the shotgun already. I am still looking at weather I want to do the dephleg in copper or ss. I will look into the csst build. It mat be something else to try.
Thanks
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

freefall wrote: I am still looking at weather I want to do the dephleg in copper or ss.
Do it in copper , its going to preform better and its so much easier to work with.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

Thanks for the input Saltbush. I appreciate it
Edited after thinking on your reply Saltbush.
I was just going to make the dephlegmator jacket stainless. It should keep internal temps a bit more insulated. But there are pros and cons to both copper and ss.

Ok I did a google search. I haven't found a thread for loading images directly into a post vs. using a hosting service. I thought we were able to load photos on here without a host now.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

For me the hard part was the dephlem and the shot gun, the column and plates were the easy parts to solder.

OVZ
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

[quote="Oldvine Zin"]For me the hard part was the dephlem and the shot gun, the column and plates were the easy parts to solder.[/quote
I agree , your building the hardest parts and buying in the easy stuff, its your build and your call. If it where me Id be doing it the other way around.
Last edited by Saltbush Bill on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

I enjoy a challenge. that is how I wound up here. I have the need to build things to see if I can.Money is always tight. I looked at a cost and time, I won't tear onw of my stills apart for the copper until my flute is running how I want. So I need to buy all my copper. I want it modular. It is a priority for me. doing stainless sections for now because it;s cost effective. I have some experience soldering copper and ss. after this I need to turn my second keg into a real boiler. That will take some tig work. Which I don't have yet.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Al good reasons to go the way you have chosen :thumbup: good luck with it :thumbup:
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

Saltbush Bill wrote:Al good reasons to go the way you have chosen :thumbup: good luck with it :thumbup:
Thank you Sir.
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

I got some 4" tube from Detroit Diy, I got some drilled plates from bluefish (thanks guys) I had every intention of building a full copper unit. Then I ran across some stainless Tee sections with sight glasses installed at a price where I could not pass by. Like free fall my time is short so this will accelerate the process quite a bit and I will make the condensers to start plus the Gin Basket and then after I figure it out some pretty copper sections. This is the fastest path and also most cost effective in the short term
B.S.
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

The 4” copper would be perfect for a packed section above your plates, too.
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

That’s exactly what I was thinking, 5 plates and then 36” packed into my gin thumper. :D
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

I thought the packed sections could be a lot shorter in a flute? Something along the lines of 18" or less?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i like rocketmans coiled corrugated SS inside the SS section for deflag and PC. easy and inexpensive to build.

in a it of insanity i put a bunch of copper inside a SS section...that last joint on outside was a bitch to put together.

you can add photos with the upload attachment button just below the submit button. there is some size rules and such. a how to guide appears in off topic i think.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

ok...Hopefully this is a photo of my Dephlegemator.
Attachments
small image of dephlegemator.png
small image of dephlegemator.png (35.2 KiB) Viewed 3371 times
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

freefall wrote:I thought the packed sections could be a lot shorter in a flute? Something along the lines of 18" or less?
Freefall, I've read a lot of different numbers on this for the length of a 4" packed section over a flute. My packed section (over 1-6 sieve plates... we see what works) is 22", but having heard so many different accounts of the length needed for the packed section, I saved another 11" from the 4" pipe before I handed it over to Big Stogie. Hopefully, I'll never need it.

I think it may depend on how you run your still (are you looking for fast through put? I believe this needs a longer section), and whether you're after azeotrope or just 94-95%. I'm more interested in rums and whiskeys, with an occasional neutral or gin. That said, I'm building my flute for the same reason you appear to be building yours... I don't want to spend all day stilling in the workshop. So I want decent throughput on the former spirits, but am willing to take a bit more time if it's needed with the neutral spirits.

Keep posting more pictures as you go, I'm interested to see your progress.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

Here is this months package from Larry.
Attachments
first section.png
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

Thank you for the help HDNB As you can see I got it. I hadn't noticed that there before. But remember hearing that photos were best posted directly.
Detroit DIY .......I am going to try and keep progress going on this thread. Hopefully to keep me on track.
I am almost tempted to take some of my 2" pipe and cut it into sheet and make my plates for the dephleg.
I am a bit unsure of the height of this section being too tall for a flute section. But it would be a really cool Dephlegemator with the window.
Currently:
I am waiting for perf. plates to arrive which were allegedly in stock at MH but haven't been packed after almost a week.
I have 4" ptfe sanitary gaskets in route.
5' of 3/4" copper
4' of 2" copper
5 3" slight glass kits.
4' of 1/2" copper
10 ptfe sight glass gaskets

I am going to continue to Edit this list as I get things in and work done.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

Shout out To Jesse. Thanks for moving my thread to the proper section.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

Star date 1622018 . Got my shcs in for my sight glasses.( after using a pfte gasket on the inside edge of the sight glass the included hardware isn't long enough. My roll of Harris came in. I got my 1/4 npt half couplings in. I will mill a radius on them to fit on the Dephleg, and shotgun condencer.
well..My perf. plates are do to be delivered today.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

You may have to remove some material from the inside of your PTFE gaskets to nest the plates inside them. My components wouldn’t have fit together otherwise.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

Yes..I see that. Thank you. Looks like it is just a little I need to remove. My hook razor blade will make quick work of it.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

freefall wrote:Yes..I see that. Thank you. Looks like it is just a little I need to remove. My hook razor blade will make quick work of it.
I cut an indent to receive the plates, with the ptfe gasket I still have to wrench tight the tri clamps a bit.

OVZ
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

I still haven't decided on a cut about the depth of the plate or just to cut out just enough. I need to take measurements and see if they are all the same and if I have anything to make a milling jig available.
VictoryRay
Novice

Post by VictoryRay »

I am A fan of the Blue sight glass!
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

VictoryRay wrote:I am A fan of the Blue sight glass!
I really wasn't sure on color . but blue was on sale..So that was the deciding factor. But I think I need to go with all stainless externals now. I am now thinking of using a sighted section for my riser and dephlgemator section too. Just think it would be kinda cool to watch things as it happens.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

As long as your color choices don't clash :lol: :thumbup:

OVZ
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Golly jee, I'll go ahead and say it.

Those come from StillDragon baby!
Larry Taylor, Riviera Beach Florida come on. :D
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

I said they same from Larry. Just wasn't sure if it was acceptable to say from still dragon due to the past bad rep from other distributors.
He has some nice looking stuff on his sight.