New flute build /buy

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

freefall
Swill Maker

Re: New flute build /buy

Post by freefall »

ok...I guess an update is way over due. I have received just about all my hardware. I am waiting on some irrigation parts and it is done. I wound up buying everything from Larry. THANKS LARRY. I attempted to solder up my dephleg and made a mess of it. I didn't leave enough gap to solder to the edge and got some leakage. So for the sake of saving time I just bought those too. I am wanting to upgrade my brewery and have a ton of other projects. So my time was worth the little extra.

I also have a source for getting yeast for my beers. I am going to meet up with a brewery owner on Thursday.

I do have a question..I reran a years worth of heads and tails through my Boka (twice). They smell incredible. Mostly all from ujssm a few runs of pure corn. Any way.. they smell like butter. But lord the taste is horrible. Any suggestions?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

freefall wrote:I do have a question..I reran a years worth of heads and tails through my Boka (twice). They smell incredible. Mostly all from ujssm a few runs of pure corn. Any way.. they smell like butter. But lord, the taste is horrible. Any suggestions?
What does "horrible" taste like?

The solution depends on the paradigm...you could rerun it. Or, use it as "flame starter"...depends on what "horrible" is.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

horrible would be pure taols oil and astringent of heads mixed together. right now I use it to clean with.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> They smell incredible. Mostly all from ujssm a few runs of pure corn. Any way.. they smell like butter. But lord the taste is horrible. Any suggestions?

Make a wider heads cut.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Maybe a silly question but did you do any cuts on the boka run ...or did you rn the lit into a big jar ?

One of the great things a Boka or any other good reflux still does is compress the fractions but if we don't collect in small jars then we miss the whole advantage of using this kind of still .

Especially at the Tails end . Compressed tails is very nasty tasting and if it gets into you hearts collection it will contaminate it .

A trick I do when nto hearts using my VM ( read Boka in your case ) is I collect about 300mls at a time . Before I pour this jar into my hearts collection vessel I dip a spoon into a glass of water and then quickly collect a splash frm the spout . I smell it and taste it . If tails are present , I dump the last jar and finish . If it still tastes like hearts I pour the jar onto my hearts vessel . Tails will compress and when it comes you know immediately . One taste of compressed tails and your tongue will twist into a knot .
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

I have the run in quart mason jars about a case. I aired for a week or more. dropped down to about 95% still taste rough. all jars.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

freefall wrote:...a years worth of heads and tails through my Boka (twice)....the taste is horrible.
Well then, it sounds like there was nothing good in your feints jug. You must have collected all the good stuff during the original spirit runs, leaving only the solventy heads and oily tails in your feints. You may not get anything good scrubbed out in the end.

Have you added sodium carbonate to the feints jug yet? Sometimes that will help esterize the heads and liberate some drinkable ethanol. Maybe...
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

still_stirrin wrote:
freefall wrote:...a years worth of heads and tails through my Boka (twice)....the taste is horrible.
Well then, it sounds like there was nothing good in your feints jug. You must have collected all the good stuff during the original spirit runs, leaving only the solventy heads and oily tails in your feints. You may not get anything good scrubbed out in the end.

Have you added sodium carbonate to the feints jug yet? Sometimes that will help esterize the heads and liberate some drinkable ethanol. Maybe...
ss
I sprinkled in some baking soda. I thought I was being really tight on my cuts and keeping the hearts mixed with the tiniest bit of heads and tails. I did dig deaper for filling up my barrel. So the last 150 or so gallons of was I ran I had pure heads and tails going into my feints containers(corney kegs). I think I saved up 15 gallons. then watered and split between two Boka runs. Then combined those, watered down and ran those again through the boka. Not a biggie. I was just trying to get the most out of it. I already have a life time supply. LOL. I am going to run some of my ujssm through the boka again after changing paking for a nuetral. I am getting a little low.
Anywho..Thanks for helping out.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

Ok...Well had a tough time cleaning out all the rouge from the shotgun being polished. I used my .308 cal cleaning kit. then did a vinegar run. Still had rouge in it. (ha...didn't even mean that pun.) Then ran some of my feints that went through the Boka. Still had rouge left in it. Ran everything through the dish washer and ran some cleaning patches through the shotty. Looked pretty good after that. Did one last sacrificial run. All is nice and clean. Perf. plates have a nice heavy patina. I was hoping to get in a bourbon mash I made up a few months ago. But that second run took the last of my free time this weekend. I am hoping to get some free time one or two evenings this week to try and get a real run in.