Downcomers and the evolution of them, where are we now?

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Re: Downcomers and the evolution of them, where are we now?

Post by Big Stogie »

If the cap was up off the plate I would not think it should boil I need the cap
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
googe
retired

Post by googe »

cede wrote:
googe wrote:1/2 inch sucks on a 4 inch.
Did you manage to flood it ?
Yes. There a pain to get plates to load but work OK when loaded but can unload indiscriminatky during a run. Just not Worth the hassle IMO.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

My plates for both 4 and 6" were with a #50 drill, .070". About 230 on the 4" and 500+ on the 6". Downcomers are 3/4 on the 4" and 1" on the 6". Both will easily handle 30w per hole. They will also run at lower rates, having run them under 15w per hole as well.

I much prefer them over the bubble caps I ran prior. They handle more power yet still give a wide range of vapor speeds to vary the composition of what you are making.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

What are your thoughts on flared tops I see a few guys doing that saying they drain better
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Big Stogie wrote:What are your thoughts on flared tops I see a few guys doing that saying they drain better
That's why I asked if it was a matter of open surface to collect the liquid. I was thinking about putting some kind of reducer cups to have a large mouth to the downcomer but you have a better/cheaper idea :)
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

@Bushman, this from Adam:

Hey Larry,
It’s complicated, unfortunately no rule of thumb for that since it greatly depends on your column design, heat source, preheating, etc.
Here are a couple rule of thumb related to the post:
Downcomer area = 0.1 * Column area
% Hole area = 8-10% This is the ratio of hole area to bubble area where bubble area is the area in the column that vapor is actually bubbling up in…basically column area – downcomer area – calming zone area (if you have any calming zones…probably negligible…)
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

cede wrote:
Big Stogie wrote:What are your thoughts on flared tops I see a few guys doing that saying they drain better
That's why I asked if it was a matter of open surface to collect the liquid. I was thinking about putting some kind of reducer cups to have a large mouth to the downcomer but you have a better/cheaper idea :)
I don't have any hard data that says that works best. But I can certainly see how a little trick like that could optimize $$ limitations on available size tubing or the like.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

LWTCS wrote:
HDNB wrote:the problem i see with bigger "cups" like the jbend for example, or with multiple down commers in the case of some designs of bubble caps is that each of the downcommer cups holds a quantity of undesirables for my finished spirit that shows up as clouding throughout the run. (diluted to sub 46% abv.)

the down commers on my perf plates (about 2" then the spirit falls 4" to the next bath) don't descend as far as bluefish suggests being better, i have not seen the problem with them as described. the idea of a drain hole in the makes good sense though...a modification i'm gonna make on my next tear down.
Sure that's always been a challenge.
Are you running back to back runs or do you have time to hook the water hose to your PC and back flush the system for 10 minuets or so? yeah i run some water thru the cip but it does not clean a black soot residue in the cups
Also, can allow the system to cycle in reflux mode so that everything in your liquid cups gets sent back to the kettle.tried that too, the residue remains (but it cleans the hell off the sides and plates)i got a ton of heat but the RC is a bit small to full flood the shit out of the plates so a single DC is lots on these plates

Cotherman Distilling actually sprays a bit of cold water on the top of his kettle. This immediately causes instant vapor collapse which in turn creates a vacuum. The vacuum created literally sucks all of the liquid off and out of all of his plate assemblies.
tried that once. scared the shit outta me when the vacuum breaker screamed bloody murder at me :shock: just a few drips trough the top cip and it got very loud all a sudden!

so i do fresh water clean them after every run and tear down after every 5-6 runs. the amount of shit in the downcomer always surprises me...and the more and bigger you have (DC's) the more shit ya got too.

i gotta spare perf. i'ma try that 45* deal up there^^^ one day when i'm rich and famous i plan to do a caustic/acid recirc on the cip too.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Haha, yeah when I first seen it ,,it kinda makes ya recoil a bit lol.