Otis' 3" CM Build Project

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Otis' 3" CM Build Project

Post by OtisT »

Howdy. I'm looking for some advice and/or kind criticism for the following project.
3" CM - Starting Point
3" CM - Starting Point
This is the dry fit beginning of a 3" CM column designed to sit on my 5500 Watt boiler. It could easily become a CC CM but I plan on using a needle valve to control reflux coolilng so I don't need to raise/lower the condenser. I hope that the column will be capable of collecting at full power with no reflux, and that I can control reflux with enough resolution to make pure stuff (with a column extension.)

Condensers:
I chose to go with two coil condensers for several reasons. Chiefly among them were I am too cheep to buy a shotgun, I have a coil making machine, and I want to save space.
The reflux coil shown is a 10" length of coil that fits in my 2" column. I know it can knock down all of 5500W in the 2", but not sure if it will be as effective with more open vapor space around it. I am considering making a new double wound coil condenser to replace this with. That double coil would be shorter, maybe 7" of coil length.

Thermometer:
The thermometer will be placed in the center of the bridge. I will drill and solder on a 1/2" NTP fitting.

Column:
The column is currently 20 inches tall below the T
10"+/- of column available for packing. I have not yet done the plate equivalent math but I am hoping to mimic somewhere between 1 and 2 plates
The column will be insulated
I will make an extension, though the length is TBD

CM and Reflux:
The vapor path is reduced from 3" to 2" at the column T
The reflux chamber is 2" pipe and just long enough to house the reflux coil

Product Collection:
I plan to start with 5" long section of 1/2" copper pipe and call it good (not in picture)
I am somewhat concerned that the product collected may require additional cooling, and am hoping I don't need to make a mini-liebig to make it right

Thanks in advance. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Re: Otis' 3" CM Build Project

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Hi. What's it like (being finished and assembled)? Have you got any sketch or drawing?

And — what product for, mostly?

Still no advices, only questions, sorry...

har druckit för mycket
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

No drawings. Right now it’s going to look pretty much like what you see. All that is missing from the pic is to attach the thermometer, add that 5” section of 1/2” pipe on the off take and place the coils into their respective pipes with a cap, it’s done. Oops, Need to add cooling hoses too.

It may change, based on potential feedback.

Otis
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

So, it's The Tool to get some hard&heavy distillates, right? 8)

It will have not so much scrubbies inside, maybe like this:
cm.jpg
In that way, I'd make the reflux coil with a separate water supply, fine-tuned in a wide range of water consumption...
As for your "be as effective with more open vapor space around it"... I think if the scrubbies are evenly moistened along their entire length then it's OK anyways.

And... in my religion your build is still an "advanced pot". :angel: It doesn't mean your Tool would not fractionate your low wines at all... but my gods say me to turn it a bit into a VM-machine like that:
vm.jpg
Well, in your version it's important to get ready recovering a lot of heat into a flux and to spread it down evenly over your scrubbies.

VV

har druckit för mycket
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote:So, it's The Tool to get some hard&heavy distillates, right? 8)
Hard, Heavy, Soft, light. I should be able to do it all in this with practice. :-)
VLAGAVULVIN wrote:It will have not so much scrubbies inside, maybe like this:
That is exactly the plan, about 10"- 12" of scrubby space, for when I want a little separation with my reflux. I even showed copper mesh in the picture in the place packing would go.

I want just enough packing in this short column section to do a good job compressing heads and if I am lucky, give me a shot at some descent single distillation products.

I will use a column extension when I need more packing.

FYI, I have a 3" screen that will attach via tri-clamp to this column. I have never used solid packing materials like rings, rocks, or marbles but I hope to try one in this column. I still need to research which I want to try.
VLAGAVULVIN wrote:In that way, I'd make the reflux coil with a separate water supply, fine-tuned in a wide range of water consumption...
Yes. Separate controls are necessary and part of the build plan. I need to do fine adjustments on the reflux and be able to run it really low and steady, needle valve. I may just use a ball valve on the product condenser.
VLAGAVULVIN wrote:And... in my religion your build is still an "advanced pot". :angel: It doesn't mean your Tool would not fractionate your low wines at all... but my gods say me to turn it a bit into a VM-machine like that:
Sure. If I turn reflux off, it's a pot. Pot still collection is controlled by Heat. Collection on this still is intended to be controlled by Cooling. At the end of the day, the all use the same science and are similar. ;-) I already have a 2" VM and a 3" VM. I would have considered another VM, but I did not have a 2" or 3" butterfly valve lying around. ;-)

Thanks for the feedback. Otis
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

OtisT wrote: I want just enough packing in this short column section to do a good job compressing heads and if I am lucky, give me a shot at some descent single distillation products.

I will use a column extension when I need more packing.
The extension is great for all those fores and heads selection but... what do you mean by a "single distillation" and for what kind of mash? In any stripping run there are acids in the pot, till the end of the run they make heads over heads over heads... Nope?.. :egeek:
OtisT wrote: I may just use a ball valve on the product condenser.
And if the product condencer is quite big to eat your 5500W then just knok out the scrubbies, turn the reflux coil off and here we are - the super productive stripper )))
OtisT wrote: I already have a 2" VM and a 3" VM.
Did you post the pic of your 3"VM anywhere, please? :)

:mrgreen: So, thanks for sharing a good idea and go on with your Tool / VV

har druckit för mycket
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote:Did you post the pic of your 3"VM anywhere, please? :)
This is all that is left of my 3" VM still. Also in the pic, on the left, is my 3" boka head that I have since FU@#ed up practicing my TIG skills; Burned a hole in the side. After more practice on something else, I will go back and try to fix that beast.

Otis
Attachments
3" Still Parts
3" Still Parts
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I just made a new double wound coil to be my reflux condenser in the 3" column.
double wound coil for a 3" column
double wound coil for a 3" column
This coil is shorter, so a little more room for packing.
Updated pic
Updated pic
I checked the math last night and I can get up to 3 plates worth of mesh packing in this column, or 2 plates worth if using small rings. More than enough for most everything I want to make. :-)
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Otis, well done :thumbup:

VV

har druckit för mycket