CCVM build with gin basket

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

joshswest
Novice

CCVM build with gin basket

Post by joshswest »

Hello everyone! After doing a ton of reading and talking with other users I am thinking about building a new CCVM reflux column. Here is a quick drawing of my idea. The gin basket would be able to be inserted with 2'' tri clamps when it is time to run gin or the column can just be run as a pot still or a ccvm reflux column. The reason for the odd sized liebig is because I have extra 1 1/2'' and 1'' copper pipe at home. Let me know what you think!!

Thanks
IMG_2805.jpg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: CCVM build with gin basket

Post by still_stirrin »

joshswest wrote:...Let me know what you think!!
Time to "get it started". It will work!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

It will work BUT be awkward for swapping baskets and you will want to swap baskets on a 2' system during the run.
Check the link in my signature for how I used two tees for my offset gin chamber on a pot still (also on a 2" system).
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
joshswest
Novice

Post by joshswest »

kimbodious wrote:It will work BUT be awkward for swapping baskets and you will want to swap baskets on a 2' system during the run.
Check the link in my signature for how I used two tees for my offset gin chamber on a pot still (also on a 2" system).
Great point! I guess I never considered needing to change out the basket mid run. How much bigger would the basket need to be so I wouldnt need to change anything out during the run? Taller, wider or both? Thanks for the input!
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

@joshswest, that chamber will only hold a small basket, the flavouring will be gone after you've taken off a few litres, could be a good thing if the liquor ended up tasting shit. It is a good thing to ve able to swap baskets during a run. You can make separate infusions to blend later on while discarding the shit tasting ones LOL
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 Kim
That will work for sure.
Have a look at his build, it shows the versatility of a modular build.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Don't mess about reducing the liebig halfway through. It'll be a pain to build and no more efficient than one of a constant size.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
joshswest
Novice

Post by joshswest »

Mikey-moo wrote:Don't mess about reducing the liebig halfway through. It'll be a pain to build and no more efficient than one of a constant size.
Thanks for the input!! The only reason I was going to reduce it is because I only have about 18'' of the 1 1/2'' copper pipe and I didnt think that would be long enough to condense all the vapor. What do you think? I am going to crimp the 1'' vapor tube inside the 1 1/2'' pipe!

Cheer
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

I'd use 3/4" inner, 1" outer the whole way... need to balance the cooling power with the maximum heat input you have. How are you heating?

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
joshswest
Novice

Post by joshswest »

Mikey-moo wrote:I'd use 3/4" inner, 1" outer the whole way... need to balance the cooling power with the maximum heat input you have. How are you heating?
I am using a propane burner!
CirBeer
Novice

Post by CirBeer »

Here is my 3" CCVM modular build which I completed on Friday, I do plan to add a gin basket at some point so I'm curious about peoples insights to them and their functions.

Column height overall is 71", packing is 6L of SSP and 3LBs of copper mesh, column height is 59" up to the thermo collar (packable height). The 2" shotgun condenser length is 17".
Last edited by CirBeer on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Novice Distiller, Intermediate Brewer, Expert Drinker!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

CirBeer wrote:....Here is my 3" CCVM modular build which I completed on Friday...
Picture does not show up....external host is not advised. Post it on HD site.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
CirBeer
Novice

Post by CirBeer »

still_stirrin wrote:
CirBeer wrote:....Here is my 3" CCVM modular build which I completed on Friday...
Picture does not show up....external host is not advised. Post it on HD site.
Oooopps sorry I did not realize that, I have edited my post to reflect that, thank you!
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

joshswest wrote:
Mikey-moo wrote:I'd use 3/4" inner, 1" outer the whole way... need to balance the cooling power with the maximum heat input you have. How are you heating?
I am using a propane burner!
In that case you might consider a shotgun condenser. A single liebig may not cope on stripping runs otherwise...

kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

@CirBeer, very cool looking still, check out the links in my .signature for how I reconfig my modular still for whatever task is required, particularly for the carter head.
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
CirBeer
Novice

Post by CirBeer »

kimbodious wrote:@CirBeer, very cool looking still, check out the links in my .signature for how I reconfig my modular still for whatever task is required, particularly for the carter head.
Thank you! I'm very curious how you have your Gin column setup, without hijacking this thread could you please explain it to me maybe via a PM or a link to a thread where you already have please?
VictoryRay
Novice

Post by VictoryRay »

I like the Glass!
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

CirBeer wrote:
kimbodious wrote:@CirBeer, very cool looking still, check out the links in my .signature for how I reconfig my modular still for whatever task is required, particularly for the carter head.
Thank you! I'm very curious how you have your Gin column setup, without hijacking this thread could you please explain it to me maybe via a PM or a link to a thread where you already have please?
No problems, this thread shows the development of my modulay system including detail on the offset infusuion chamber (on a pot still) viewtopic.php?f=17&t=62101
--
Modular 2" Pot Still