3" flute build

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Re: 3" flute build

Post by Shine0n »

Most appreciated, now to the scrap yard for still parts and some others for this train build for the boy.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

This fukn thing has me soo frustrated I'm about to scrap the whole thing.

I've annealed the copper and have been trying to get the ferrule in the end and it's just completely fukd up a section no matter how easily I tried to tap it in.

I'm pissed off so I'm going to leave it for a while and think of some more bright ideas.

I have a lathe to work with but the damn thing is down for now, I'd like to skim off a few thousands for the ferrule to go in a little smoother but noooo the machine is down.

On a good note, I did get the end of the shotty to stop leaking so I guess that's pretty good news for a frustrating day.

How damn hard does this need to be!!!!!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I couldn't get the ferrule on my 3" to go in straight to save my life. I finally resorted to putting a bevel on it, and it went in easy-peasy. If ya got a grinder, try this.
Attachments
IMG_1788 copy.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

ShineOn, chin up. Keep at it. I am watching developments with real interests. This rig should produce a different type of product when compared to a pot and thumper - mé thinks. You are one of the lucky members who are good with their hands. I only wish I had your tallent. Fight on! JD
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'll get back on it soon, just had to walk away.

Thanks fellas
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Put one of these in a drill or Dremel if you don't have a die grinder. Run it around the pipe bore and it should slide in easy.
Attachments
IMG_20180419_3476.jpg
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Those sanding wheels and die grinders are gods gift to still builders pfshine :thumbup:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'm head to lowes this am, I got so frustrated I didn't even think of a flapper wheel. lol
Back at it today :thumbup:
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Glad to see ya back on the horse again. Some liquid flux helps lube it a lil bit when "tapping" it in. Just don't get a 8 pound hammer after it in frustration :twisted:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Shine0n wrote:I'm head to lowes this am, I got so frustrated I didn't even think of a flapper wheel. lol
Back at it today :thumbup:
Buy two or three,,,different grades of abrasive, course to fine, you wont regret it . :thumbup:
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Those stainless ferrules can be a b!#ch.. I use copper ones, abit softer, but mo pricey..Also ifn not tight and square when soldered, they'll cock sideways, or off center.
Love, hate relationship :clap:..
Very self rewarding after completion..One of these days I'm gonna........ :yawn: .
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Well I've decided to go another route with the design, I'm going to make the plates to sit in between the ferrules.

I'll cut the ID of the gasket to the center lip and make the plate to fit snugly into it, the gasket is only slightly thicker than the plate material I bought so I'll sand it down to a nice even fit.

All I'll need to do is braze the downcomer and the cup on the end, I did decide to go with 3/4 and 1"cups.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Believe you made the rite choice..Now ifn you ever want to try bubble caps, you can.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Looking forward to seeing your handiwork!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Didn't take any picks today but also got 2 of the sections ferrules put on and got one more to go hopefully Monday.

Also need to solder the water line connections on the shotty and build the deflag although I think I should make it a bit longer as it's imo not long enough. It will only have 4" of water flow after the ferrules are put in, I'm not sure that will be enough. I'll take a look around and see what others are doing.

I'm on a tight budget for this and little man's birthday is Monday so I have party things and gifts so I'll be on pause for a week or so.

I'll go get the water fittings for the shotty so it will be completed and ready :thumbup:

I'm getting there, I still need to get sight glass and flow level sights and it's not cheap so I have to have patience, I'm looking for copper sights, maybe I should look McMaster Carr. I read I believe in Detroit's thread so I'll go back to see.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I found the sight glasses on still dragon for 18 bucks a piece so not as bad as once thought, makes me feel better but it's only the outside flange and glass so I'll need to fab a 2" body and easy flange.

I have some #9 copper wire I'll hammer flat and solder to it for some more meat to drill and tap.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

No need to drill and tap. It's a front and back piece that comes with it. Just need the flange for it to mount around.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Even better :thumbup:
Do they clamp around say a ferrule?

I'd like to keep the flanges copper and could knock out some easy flanges for them in pretty short order.

I took the other (short deflag) and cut it and made the 5 hole plates, I'm now about to cut the tubes and solder them in.

I hammered out easy flanges on the deflag because I'm going to end up putting a in line sight glass with csst for the reflux soon. I seen Cranky's video and I liked the way it looked sooo that's what I'm gonna do eventually.

Getting that thing straight after hammering is a pita but I got her now.

It's getting there!
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Yes the glass and bezel sit flush on face of ferrule.
2pc matched coller butts up against it from the backside, pulled together with allen head screws..Neat n tidy. :thumbup:
Tiny chem resistant o-ring goes between glass and ferrule face, in the seal groove.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

20180423_160633-900x900.jpg
20180423_160648-900x900.jpg
20180423_150745-900x900.jpg
20180423_150711-900x900.jpg
Thanks MoonBreath I appreciate it.

Got a few things done today, the top of the shotty still has a small leak and I've had the hardest time getting it to stop. I think I have the plate too close to the ferrule and probably didn't have it clean enough after brazing it on. I thought I did but the solder just won't seal, it just wont.

I'm definitely open to any suggestions anyone has to help remedy this one. lol

I still need the ptfe gaskets
2"-3" reducer
5 3" tri-clamps
2"-1/2" reducer for shotgun
Cut and fit ss plates and tack on the downcomer with cups.
2" sights
Easy flanges for sights.

I'll get there soon as possible
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Well, I finally got the shotty finished. I had to cut off the ss ferrule right below the water line and redo it with a copper ferrule. I did get to keep the plate, I just heated and brushed with a wire brush and the pipes fell right out, cleaned it up and fit back in. pita!!!

I'm getting the parts slowly but surely, tomorrow I'll order the 3" ferrules with clamps and gaskets (ptfe) I need the gaskets so I know exactly what size to cut the perf plate to fit right inside of them once I bore the inside out to the center lip.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Hell yeah! You're miles ahead of me.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Got the clamps and gaskets ordered today so hopefully by Monday I'll be fitting the plates and drill for the downcomer and tack the cups.

That is if the damn excavator doesn't break down again.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Nice progress shineon

B
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'm such a damn bone head, I completely forgot to put the water port back on the top. lol

FAHHHK
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Being the cheap bastard I am I decided to make the plates of copper pipe I cut and pressed flat. Now that's done I need to drill the holes... Hmmm, 1/8" or 3/32"?

Also with this being only 3" and limited space inside I believe I'm going with 1/2" downcomers and 3/4" cups. It would be very easy to do the 1" if I don't like the half inch, looking inside the ferrule it's just not enough room.

Maybe I'll be lucky one day and have a 4" but I'll make due with what I have for now.

It's gettin there just slowly.
I did fix the shotgun water pipe issue I had forgotten.
MechEngineer_81
Novice

Post by MechEngineer_81 »

looking good! cant wait to see the finished setup!

Keep up the good work!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

It's going to look like Frankenstein's red headed step child. lol
Should do what I need it to do tho.

I'm getting there, will drill the holes today, set the height and solder them in.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Shine0n wrote:Being the cheap bastard I am I decided to make the plates of copper pipe I cut and pressed flat.
nothing wrong with that ...most of the best home done plated columns have plates made that way.....get them as smooth and flat as you can.
Shine0n wrote:Also with this being only 3" and limited space inside I believe I'm going with 1/2" downcomers and 3/4" cups.
Do your self a favour and go 3/4 on the downcomers , it will be very slight overkill , but there is nothing more annoying that flooding plates.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Work picked up so I didn't get to anything today,won't be able to get to it for the next few weeks. I'm being shipped out on an out of town job.
That will give me more time to read up on the flute.

SBB, how exactly does flooding occur? I really need to do more reading on this stuff and I will but from what I read I just hear about flooding and I'm a bit confused to be honest. If you have the downcomer, the plate should drain right back down., correct?