Higher proof output ...?

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

willee
Novice

Higher proof output ...?

Post by willee »

I bought a 3" column from a well known supplier.
It is 28" tall and packed with copper mesh.
First run today ... and the best I could get it to produce was 150 proof.
I want as close to 200 proof as I can get.
Would adding an additional 15" column section do it or would it need more.
Also would those copper or stainless steel packing saddles do better than copper mesh?

I have a Still Spirits t-500 and it will produce around 196 proof but it is really slow.
I bought the 3" column thinking it would speed up production.
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Higher proof output ...?

Post by Skipper1953 »

How are you controlling the reflux ratio? You could be trying to go too fast.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I run tall columns and subscribe to the 15 plate minimum to hit azeo. Along those lines you will need more than 60" of column to hit 191. My current vodka rig is a 4" with 8 ft packed over a 6" plate.

Now with that said, I think you have an issue with something if you could only hit 150 proof. I easily hit 180 proof off of three plates which should be equal to 12" packed, with 28" packed you should be able to run 180-185 pretty easily. Going to need some more info to really address the issue.

On another issue are you temperature correcting your output abv? 196 is beyond what you can get with distillation.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
willee
Novice

Post by willee »

Skipper1953 wrote:How are you controlling the reflux ratio? You could be trying to go too fast.
After heat up I flow water thru the condenser at the top of the column.
After about 40 min I start reducing the flow of water thru it till I get a proper flow of product.
I take it down to dripping and then reduce it a bit more for a very thin stream.
willee
Novice

Post by willee »

bluefish_dist wrote:I run tall columns and subscribe to the 15 plate minimum to hit azeo. Along those lines you will need more than 60" of column to hit 191. My current vodka rig is a 4" with 8 ft packed over a 6" plate.

Now with that said, I think you have an issue with something if you could only hit 150 proof. I easily hit 180 proof off of three plates which should be equal to 12" packed, with 28" packed you should be able to run 180-185 pretty easily. Going to need some more info to really address the issue.

On another issue are you temperature correcting your output abv? 196 is beyond what you can get with distillation.
According to the fella at the place where this was made a packed column is 20 times better than a plated one.
I know that that was not very scientific with all the physics facts and figures but he was trying to express that for a given height of column packed is better than plated.

What I find hard to understand is that my 24" tall 2" dia Still Spirits T-500 column will produce 196 proof on the first run ... but it is very slow doing it.
I don't have a super calibrated system of measurement ... just a parrot and a hygrometer (2 of them) measured at room temp (around 75 F).
Could be only 190 proof in reality ... its just that measuring with the same devices the taller 3" produces 150 to 160 proof and the T-500 produces 196 proof.
I would very much like to get the 3" column to produce a higher proof.
That is the reason for the question I asked here.
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

I found lava rock that’s 1/4 - 1/2” much better than copper packing

Got me 2-3% more

Did you strip first then rerun it?
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Plated or packed can both do the job. Just depends on the number of plates or equivalent plates for packed. Packing is more efficient for the same height usually.

Reflux rate, heat input, height/hetp/# of plates, vapor speed (function of diameter and heat), wash/wort abv will all effect the final output abv and speed. We are going to need a few more inputs to really figure it out.

What was you starting abv? Any idea of reflux ratio? Sounds like you are on gas so heat input is harder to measure. Personally I like to keep under 20 fps vapor speed for a good neutral. Do a search for column vapor speed to find calculators.
One way to help trouble shoot is to run a thermometer at the head to get output temp, also one right under the deflag as I assume you are running a cm style still. See what the temp is as full reflux. If it's not at the boiling point of alcohol for your altitude you won't be able to make 191. If you can't hold azeo at full reflux, then you either need to adjust the heat, probably lower to slow down vapor speed or increase the number of plates. Either more plates, more packed column height, or a more efficient packing.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051