CCVM Column height advice needed

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ScotsPagan
Site Donor
Site Donor

CCVM Column height advice needed

Post by ScotsPagan »

Hey all,

I'm finally starting to put together my design for my first still;

Boiler will be a 50L beer keg with probably a 3KW water heater (depending on what's cheap) or 5KW...

Column will be 2" since there's already a 2" hole (plus 2" pipe Is easy to get here, compared to larger)...

But I'm stuck on how HIGH to make that column.
I get there's probably a formula that dictates height of column/diameter of the tube/total thermal input for the boiler etc. but. don't know what it is. Has anyone got a lead on that, or failing that, their own CCVM designs for column height (specifically of the packed column beneath the t-section?
I'll be operating in reduced space environment so a 2m tube isn't going to happen - 1.5m would be difficult but possible, so smaller the better - but obviously not so small I can't get reflux properly.

Also, whilst on the subject, how long should the section of pipe ABOVE the t-section be for my regulating condenser? Obviously large enough to fit the entire condenser in, covering the t-joint's "exit" hole but I don't know how big to make that condenser, so..
Thoughts?
Bushman
Admin

Re: CCVM Column height advice needed

Post by Bushman »

1.2-1.3 will work you can go 1.5 and depending on the length of your RC longer may be better.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

My CCVM has 1.2m of 2” packed column (SS scrubbers) and puts out 1.2 litres per hour at azeotrope. The boiler uses a 2200W element and I am usually running it at 1600W on the spirit run
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Mine is .89 meters, and does the same thing. I use pea size lava rock, though.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
ScotsPagan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScotsPagan »

Thanks all;

I'll aim for 1-1.2m for the "main column", given the t-junction and R-condensor will likely add on 30-50cm, and that will be into ladder & scraping ceiling territory...

Anyone any tips/preferences for the product condenser? Shotgun vs. Liebig etc.

Started modelling the beast in 3D here so I can think about cable routing, sensor positioning etc.
If only it was this easy in real life. I need Iron-Man's "OK, design done, print & make this while I get coffee" thing...
Attachments
Still design1.JPG
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

A liebig will be fine.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
ScotsPagan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScotsPagan »

I put the pic in the "my first" forum where I've got a thread, but I suppose this is actually more appropriate here...
Attachments
StillAnnotated1.jpg
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

For my comments on the design, nice graphics by the way, the 100mm section for a gin botenicals, you can’t run in line like that, you will end up with brown distillate, take a look at a carter head, this will sort this out, you will have botanicals stink your column out in this configuration and you will have brown gin.

Cheers

Tony
ScotsPagan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScotsPagan »

Ahhh! Thanks, I'd gotten confused as to the layout of the gin-head. So I want them at the very bottom or top of the column rather than in-line on the horizontal? Gotchya...
Tony1964
Swill Maker

Post by Tony1964 »

At the top of your still column the vapour will condense on your botanicals and drop this down your column, this will stink your still out, at the bottom of the column well not that efficient, you might as well steep the botanicals in the boiler and it will still stink the column, check out a carter head.

Here’s a picture of my version, it has a tap at the bottom to drain what condensed to much, a perforated tube sits in the top 2 sections that hangs in there full of botanicals. I can remove mid run by fully refluxing the column to add or change the botanicals. It’s offset to the still column so nothing drips in to the column.

Cheers

Tony
Attachments
C9001EE7-AB2A-4260-BAA4-0EB0DB2FBAB2.jpeg