Left over 3 inch Copper Pipe

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Left over 3 inch Copper Pipe

Post by hellbilly007 »

The "reverse tongue" directs the reflux to the center of the packing.
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

hellbilly007 wrote:The "reverse tongue" directs the reflux to the center of the packing.
Yep, I screwed up. The reverse tongue didn't make sense to me being on the top slant, but it does on the lower one. I'll redo the lower one to include it and make sure it's lower than either of the edges to insure center drainage.

I have just enough sheet copper to make a new one. It'll still turn out perfect I think.

Thanks for catching me before I got to the point of a mistake that's difficult to correct.
3 x 60 inch Bokabob, 8 gallon boiler, 4500w

3 inch pot still head, reduce 2, then to 48 inch 1/2 condenser. 8 gallon boiler, 4500w
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

If your set-up is modular...

On some forum (maybe here) I saw a Bokakob head in a four inch (?) tube maybe eight inches long with the ferrule thingies top and bottom.

It was like lightning striking to me. So much easier to make it, easy access to your work. Even doable for fumblefingers me, with the son-in-law doing the soldering....

Geoff
The Baker
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

The Baker wrote:If your set-up is modular...

On some forum (maybe here) I saw a Bokakob head in a four inch (?) tube maybe eight inches long with the ferrule thingies top and bottom.

It was like lightning striking to me. So much easier to make it, easy access to your work. Even doable for fumblefingers me, with the son-in-law doing the soldering....

Geoff
My plan is to add modular sections. I want to allow for pot stilling and a gin basket. I think it will make clean up easier too.

Adding ferrules and tri-clamps is something I'll do later though. Right now I'm focused on getting this bokabob finished...

I was able to correct my mistake. I haven't soldered the slants into place yet, but will this weekend. I'll then test it under my sink to confirm the overflow heads straight down the middle of the column before soldering it to the column. This is the fitting I'm using and cut the lower slant into: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Elkhart-331 ... ducing-Tee

3 inch pot still head, reduce 2, then to 48 inch 1/2 condenser. 8 gallon boiler, 4500w
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

My column is complete. Solder work not as pretty as I would like, but working with 3 inch heavy duty copper is more of challenge than I thought. I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the advice as I went through the process. I appreciate the knowledge you shared with me.

Two steps remain:

1 - Soldering up my jacketed condenser...10-15 minute job, just need to figure out length for collection convenience.

2 - Wiring up my heating element - Waiting on SSR, Element, and wirings

Won't be long till I'm posting in the "tried and true" forum! :thumbup: