Let’s see the coolant pumps for plated stills

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Let’s see the coolant pumps for plated stills

Post by Big Stogie »

I have a couple runs done and I have come to the realization that my cooling system is weak, I need more pump so I am looking for some recommendations, I also need to address the heat in the coolant tank I have a heat exchanger and fan coming that sould fix that part
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Let’s see the coolant pumps for plated stills

Post by Distillernz »

I tried a fish tank pump was not sufficient. I got one of these and it does the job well
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/ozito-350w-s ... _p04816179
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i use http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maste ... p.html#srp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

it holds a nice smooth 60psi and has no problem running all day
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Distillernz wrote:I tried a fish tank pump was not sufficient. I got one of these and it does the job well
That's the same as I got.

The idea was (IS) to install it in the rainwater tank. With an extra tap and return hose to reduce pressure/ flow if necessary, and another hose to water the plants...

I'll get it done one day...

Geoff
The Baker
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Distillernz wrote:I tried a fish tank pump was not sufficient. I got one of these and it does the job well
:thumbup:
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I don't have any pictures but I have a big submersible pump with something like 24 ft head lift, that I don't use because the pressure is too high and blows stuff apart if I try to use it without a relief valve. Some day I plan on making some kind of pressure relief for it and using it but for now I use a Harbor Freight pump with magnetic drive that has something like a 12 ft head lift for the RC and a second pump and reservoir and pump for the PC. It doesn't take a lot of water flow to the RC to keep the reflux where I want it and the two reservoirs keep temperatures more stable and the Harbor Freight pumps work just fine for me.
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

The more consistant you can keep your reflux coolant water temp the easier it will be to keep things running smooth and consistant. It just takes one more variable out of the equation while running. I know it's not an option for some but I prefer tap water for RC. YMMV
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

a second pump might be an option actually I have a harbor freight pump now but i just fell like I don't get enough flow and i want to add a heat exchanger which will only make it worse

cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Big Stogie wrote:a second pump might be an option actually I have a harbor freight pump now but i just fell like I don't get enough flow and i want to add a heat exchanger which will only make it worse
My HF pumps have plenty of flow at the 7ft level my RC is at, or even the 9ft level my ceiling is at. You have to be careful when selecting a pump because they have some that have relatively high flow but only 4.5 ft of head lift. I think mine has lower flow than some others but much higher lift. I have been thinking about adding an intercooler as part of the return and feel it would have no trouble at all.

My big pump with the 24ft lift and something like 1,400 gallon per minute capability blew a hose apart and emptied my 50 gallon reservoir all over the garage in seconds :oops: and I haven't used it since. Another option is to elevate your reservoir which moves the pump closer to the RC and reducing the amount of necessary head lift. I'm a cheap bastard so I sometimes have to figure out a workaround and that is one I have used and it worked well.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

When we had lots and lots of rain and water found its way into my cellar to a depth of over four inches;
I bought a modern version of the old household pressure pump. With a little foot valve and reinforced (wire bound) suction hose.
We had installed a suction pit in the cellar floor just in case; a big A10 can set into the concrete and the floor sloped slightly to that corner
That pump will happily provide full pressure (normal garden pressure) to a (one) normal garden hose. And height or 'head' doesn't seem to matter, the pressure is in the hose and you can lift it as high as you like.
(Otherwise I was looking at a twelve foot head and that was going to be a real problem....)
It was just powerful enough to empty the cellar in three quarters of an hour; a higher capacity pump would have sucked air at the inlet because the water would not have moved across the floor quickly enough.
And it was on sale at the time I needed it; maybe just over a couple hundred Australian dollars.

Geoff
The Baker
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

I've been using this for my still and for cleaning out my tankless water heater (water on the first, vinegar on the latter). It's plenty powerful to lift some 8-9 ft for my still and go through my radiator and have a high volumetric flow. I haven't measured the flow rate yet, but was thinking to run it through the still from one trash barrel into another for a minute to find out... maybe another day. It has been a little more fickle on the first time start up after being idle a week or two, but once I get it going all is well. It may be that it doesn't like to run as smoothly on start up due to the vinegar water heater runs in the past. Not too expensive.

http://www.libertypumps.com/Product/Model-260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

thata along the lines i was thinking i was looking at this https://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-gard ... 63319.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow and this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1- ... /300534069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Big Stogie wrote:thata along the lines i was thinking i was looking at this https://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-gard ... 63319.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow and this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1- ... /300534069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Just make sure you have somewhere for all that pressure to go.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

cranky wrote:
Big Stogie wrote:thata along the lines i was thinking i was looking at this https://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-gard ... 63319.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow and this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1- ... /300534069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Just make sure you have somewhere for all that pressure to go.
+1.

Those options both pump about 25 gpm (at zero lift) and are capable of roughly 25 feet of dead head (when flow stops).

So, because of the higher flow rate capability at your desired head lift, you’ll want to build-in a “bypass circuit”...a short return to the pond with a control valve in it. Keep the circuit at least as large diameter as the pump’s outlet (3/4” ID) and use a full opening ball valve. This will divide the flow between the bypass circuit and your condensers. It’ll allow you to adjust the flow rate better through the reflux and product condensers.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

My still has a built in “bypass” ...: its called the product condenser :D .

Not that it really needs it . I use the same 350watt submerable pump on my Pot still liebig and throttle back to a drbble and it’s still going fine
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote:My still has a built in “bypass” ...: its called the product condenser :D .
Thats how mine works to Yummy.

In my experience these types of pumps don't work well if you restrict the flow to much.
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/ozito-350w-s ... _p04816179" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
They are designed to pump volume not pressure. Ive notice with mine that the less flow it has the less pressure it can supply.
In short if you restrict the flow to much they struggle to make much pressure, For that reason I always run with my product condenser wide open, this allows the pump to be shifting enough water volume to also make a bit of pressure , which in turn helps with water supply to the dephlegmator.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

thats kinda the nice thing about the bump pump i use. it's designed to bump up pressure on a municipal system.it runs steady output and i can shut the flow off and lines pressure just like tap water, open a bit or a lot, the pressure remains constant it just changes the volume of the output.

contrast to the flex impeller i use for mash, if you restrict the output the pressure goes wayyy up as the volume decreases, and vice versa. it's great to move a quantity of liquid quickly but shite for fine control.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

This is Mine .
PICT1026.jpg
I Drop it into this 2000 liter tank .
PICT1027.jpg
But when I'm not using it I take it out and it basically sits out side under the carport ......but it must get a bit of sun on it .
Hmmmm ....Just noticed this on the cord where it enters the pump water proofing rubber sheath .
Strangely I ran it on the weekend and it didn't trip the Earth Leakage detector so I'm guessing these submersible pumps are pretty water tight despite having a cracked mains cable jacket .
PICT1028.jpg
Might wrap some self amalgamating tape or silicone over it but ultimately it looks like its time to replace it . :thumbdown:
Guess the lesson here is don't leave them in the sun .

And for that matter , don't leave them in the tank because I've found they tend to go slimey in there
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

You can repair the weathered PVC jacket by taking a short section of plastic pipe and sliding it over the power cable to the spot where the damage is. Then, fill the pipe with silicone sealant and let it cure. Once set, it will be water tight again and the plastic pipe will reinforce the fracture (like a splint) for the forces of pulling the pump out of the water tank.

Or....you could buy another pump. You decide.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K