Plate and reflux methods for whiskey

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bluefish_dist
Distiller

Plate and reflux methods for whiskey

Post by bluefish_dist »

In another thread it has been discussed how to run a flue for best whiskey. I would like to start a new thread to share setups and compare how people run a flue when making whiskey. Let's talk real numbers, diameter, power, plate setup, output abv. Let's hear how and why you run the way you do.

My setup, on 4" vm, I started with stilldragon bubble plates and would run 4000w prior to flooding on a wash. I ran 3 plates for whites with an output of 160-170 proof. I then swapped to sieve plates 205 holes, .070" (#50) hole. Those could run up to 6500w without flooding. Again 3 plates for whites and 2 for barrel aged. Barrel aged with 2 plates came off 130-140 proof. Reflux rates varies depending on wash/wort abv. Higher abv, less reflux.

I know 4 plates is a common setup, but I couldn't get the abv low enough for whiskey (less than 160 proof) with 3 plates consistently. That is when I moved to two plates. I found I could easily control the output abv in the range I wanted 120 to 150 proof.

Let's hear how you run.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Re: Plate and reflux methods for whiskey

Post by Big Stogie »

I’m going to pull a couple plates and try three in the next few days I will report back with good data
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

You seem to be jumping all over the place Stogie, every time you change the number of plates it will run differently , cuts will be different, your fractions will change , fores , heads , heats and tail sections will change in size as well as how abruptly they start and finish. How is that going to teach you anything ?
Only days ago you wrote this.
Big Stogie wrote:I’m going to drop back to 4 plates and see how that works, I think I need to get a better handle on my gear the more I read I’m not sure I am running this thing at its best.
Use 4 plates, Run it slow , run it careful, use lots of cuts jars ........then experiment when you know how it works.
Not trying to be an arse, just trying to help you.
Last edited by Saltbush Bill on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Use 4 plates, Run it slow , run it careful, use lots of cuts jars ........then experiment when you know how it works.
Thats the best advice anyone could ask for sbb, start at the top and work your way down. No matter how much you read and different opions, from what i've learnt, start with the max you still can produce, eg; 5 plate still, start with all plates, max cut jars, play with coolant, play with power input, play with blending. Listen to regular well know distillers that have been there and done the ground work, but adapt it to your own personal choice.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Thanks Gooman , sometimes I feel like I'm banging my head on a brick wall. A comment like that makes it feel like the typing was worth while.
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

I wanted to try 3 been running 5, then I thought maybe just 4, so maybe I am a little all over but I am trying to get a handle on this thing and just feel like something is not right. I suppose I just need to get more time on it but I might be a little inpatient. I also like to tinker by nature so trying different setups to see how it changes things to get a faster learning curve might be the wrong approach, I did make a decent product with 5 but there is room for improvements for sure, too much reading and thinking and not enough stillin, thanks for the advice I’ll use it

DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

If you have more plates, why not just run more power with less reflux? It will push the abv down, but your product condenser has to be able to keep up with the increased production!

I have five 8" plates, at 15,200watts (40% power) it will make 92% abv
At 17,000watts (~45% power) and less reflux it makes 85% abv.
At 17,000watts and no reflux it puts out 75% abv but then my PC can't keep up cooling the output.
So, if I want something less than 75% I have to shut down the dephlag and reduce power to stop the reflux.

Make sense?

Remember a reflux still without reflux is just a tall pot still. Right?
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I probably need to do more testing on the more plate, less reflux. The first time I did it, I felt that the 4 plates, less reflux vs 3 plates, more reflux had less flavor. Both pulled off at 82%. Granted it was a different wash of the same product. Probably should revisit it with a split wash to compare the same known starting point. I also felt the difference in takeoff was not that much different.

The reason I went to two plates is it was hard to keep the abv low enough on 3 plates. I could not back off reflux enough with a vm to easily hold less than 70%. With 2 plates it's easy.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Bluefish , love to see a pic of your still .Keen to see how you set the VM up . I've just recently converted my 4" to VM and getting used to it .Sorry about the Off Topic
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Use 4 plates, Run it slow , run it careful, use lots of cuts jars .........
Great advice by Salty....

If your still not happy with your whiskey, take all the plates out and potstill it. Lol :lolno:
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

Little update, ran a rum wash and ran it with 4 plates yesterday, dropped my starting ABV about 10 points. The big change came from a new coolant pump with a lot more flow. I think that was part of my problem initially not enough cooling I now have a much better handle on how to drive this thing and it’s respinding to changes in power and cooling. It did drag a lot of flavor over but I do thing I dragged the tails up way too soon but that’s inexperience I hope. I think I am on the right raid now, just need to do some navigation, thanks for all the sage advice.