Bypassing the reflux condenser

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bypassing the reflux condenser

Post by Distillernz »

I did read something about Bypassing the reflux condenser in the column by not letting any water flow through it to run it in potstill mode. Anybody do this or have thoughts? Is this a viable way to do stripping runs?
Bushman
Admin

Re: Bypassing the reflux condenser

Post by Bushman »

Yes, if you have packing in your column you will get some passive reflux unless removed it as well.
Distillernz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Distillernz »

Bushman wrote:Yes, if you have packing in your column you will get some passive reflux unless removed it as well.
I have a 4 plate column there is no packing, I want to strip a rum wash
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

IMG_20181029_171851.jpg
I have a similar system I just use all the fitting from above the reflux condenser like the picture above. Hope this is of use.

Lee
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Distillernz wrote:I have a 4 plate column there is no packing, I want to strip a rum wash
Yes just turn the water to the dephlegmator off, by doing that you are pretty much turning your column into a pot still.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I don’t have a plated column, so this may not be applicable to your rig. If your column is open to the atmosphere at the top of the column like mine is (not counting the path through your PC) you will need to plug that opening at the top of the column to run like a pot.

My VM is open at the top above my reflux condenser. With RC cooling turned off and if I were to produce more vapor than can flow through my VM port without pressure, the excess vapor would come out the top of my column. I can and have left the RC in with no cooling flow and simply plugged the atmosphere port to run it like a pot. Sometimes I remove the RC all together and cap the top of the column. In either case, you MUST make sure your VM port is open or you will go boom.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

OtisT wrote: If your column is open to the atmosphere at the top of the column like mine is
Plated columns are not open to atmosphere at the top of the column. There is no need for them to be.
They are at all times open to atmosphere via the spout / parrot end after the product condenser. The same way as a pot still is.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Saltbush Bill wrote:
OtisT wrote: If your column is open to the atmosphere at the top of the column like mine is
Plated columns are not open to atmosphere at the top of the column. There is no need for them to be.
They are at all times open to atmosphere via the spout / parrot end after the product condenser. The same way as a pot still is.
:thumbup: Thanks Bill. Maybe I’ll have a plated column some day. My next build? :D

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels