4" or 5" borosilicate packable column? Simple Neutral azeo

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

squar_root_pharms
Novice

4" or 5" borosilicate packable column? Simple Neutral azeo

Post by squar_root_pharms »

Hello friends. I've been doing a lot of reading on the board and I'm thinking I'll build a boro column to use scrubbies or spp. Preferably scrubbies due to cost. Does anyone know where I would find a 4 or 5 inch borosilicate column
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: 4" or 5" borosilicate packable column? Simple Neutral az

Post by Yummyrum »

You might want to say roughly where you are.
Edit :
squar_root_pharms wrote:Howdy y'all. Texas expat relocated to Maine here. ......
squar_root_pharms
Novice

Yes sorry I'm located in Maine. Thanks
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Here’s a place I found online: http://www.fdglass.com/product/simax-glass-tubes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Northeast USA. Hope it helps.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

I don't know how big your boiler and heaters are, so how much vapor you can expect to be pushing up that column or how fast, but 4" or 5" is kind of wide for most packed columns that people build to put on a 15 gallon keg, for instance.

Also borosilicate is cool and would let you see everything, but I bet it's way more expensive than buying a few foot long piece of stainless steel "spool" with flanges already attached from Glacier Tanks or somewhere like that and filling it with scrubbies.

Not to say you're doing it wrong, just to say you might be doing it the expensive way. 8)
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

For educational purposes
I've always wanted a big glass column.

I don't know about a 5" column
A 4" column on a 16ish gallon boiler, works pretty good :wink:
squar_root_pharms
Novice

I have many different needs for this setup. Firstly I am discussing with a lawyer friend into acquiring our dsp permit. I am thinking of going with a larger than 30g boiler so I won't get detailed here with 2x 5kw heater elements. We only have 7'10" cielings in our shop so ideally I'd like to be able to produce clean 95% or better. We use ethanol for solvent in our hemp CBD production so being able to produce solvent for our sop would drastically cut costs. Also the still will work to reproof our solvent after a few hemp extractions and we pick up h2o and other lower bp terpenes. Essentially would like to go from 10% wash to azeo in a single pass and also take ethanol under 190 proof and reproof it. I am wondering is a 4" 24 to 36" packed spool and a bubble plate or two would work good here?
richard1
Novice

Post by richard1 »

When you are ready, contact me for helical SS packing
Attachments
IMAG0274a.jpg
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

It’s going to be tough to get 95+% with a single column in a 8 ft space. You might be able to do it with spp. Regular scrubbiest won’t. I had a 12 foot ceiling and ran an 8ft packed section in 4” and later 6”. The 6” would do it, but only over a single plate. Since you want to go commercial, I would go with 6” or 8”, 4” will be a bit slow for what you want.

The other option is a split column to deal with the height issues. That is probably cheaper than a short column with spp as larger columns use a lot of packing.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
squar_root_pharms
Novice

Should I be looking at downsizing to a smaller boiler? I was thinking a packed column above a plate or two would help. Does the hetp go up as diameter increases?

Could you explained what a split column is
squar_root_pharms
Novice

richard1 wrote:When you are ready, contact me for helical SS packing
How does that stuff compare to prismatic?
richard1
Novice

Post by richard1 »

My view point, SPP as is currently sold, is good for 1" and 1.5" columns. It gets crushed with weight on top, is way too light. What I have done is ideal for 4" - 6" columns.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

A split column is where the top of column 1 is piped to the bottom of column 2. It works best if there is a pump at the bottom of column 2 to pump to the top of column 1, but you can also plumb a drain from the bottom of column 2 to the boiler. It loses some efficiency so the two will need to be taller than one single column.

Hetp is theoretically independent of diameter. What does get effected is the weight of the packing and how it crushes. I started to look at raching rings and structured packing for my 6”. The rings were stupidly expensive, one quote for ss rings was over $2000. I tried structured packing aka stainless steel wire pucks 700 mesh which were reasonable ($300). The hetp was too tall for my setup and 8’ of 6” would not get to azeo. I went back to scrubbies and was able to get to azeo over a single plate using low wines. Scrubbies alone did not hit azeo, so the plate did make a difference.

It was harder to get the 6” to run than the 4”. I could get azeo with 6’ packed 4” over a plate. I went to 8’ as it ran faster. Taller is faster. I would have gone higher if I could have fit it in the building. Based on what Odin has posted you need 15 plates to hit azeo and the column will work better up to 40 plates. From my testing I think those are good numbers. I would aim for a minimum of 20 plates and 25 to 30 would be better.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

richard1 wrote:My view point, SPP as is currently sold, is good for 1" and 1.5" columns. It gets crushed with weight on top, is way too light. What I have done is ideal for 4" - 6" columns.

What is the hetp and what would be the cost to fill a 4’ section of 4”?
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
richard1
Novice

Post by richard1 »

My still with 5" (NW125) and packed 1.2m deep is shortly about to be brought into service. So actual performance in the near future can be better commented on then. But from a packing point of view and quantities required, you can work on 870,488 pieces per metre cubed. Costs are not that much and in honesty have not yet looked at the resale factor, certainly not until I have gone through the proven stage.
squar_root_pharms
Novice

bluefish_dist wrote:A split column is where the top of column 1 is piped to the bottom of column 2. It works best if there is a pump at the bottom of column 2 to pump to the top of column 1, but you can also plumb a drain from the bottom of column 2 to the boiler. It loses some efficiency so the two will need to be taller than one single column.

Hetp is theoretically independent of diameter. What does get effected is the weight of the packing and how it crushes. I started to look at raching rings and structured packing for my 6”. The rings were stupidly expensive, one quote for ss rings was over $2000. I tried structured packing aka stainless steel wire pucks 700 mesh which were reasonable ($300). The hetp was too tall for my setup and 8’ of 6” would not get to azeo. I went back to scrubbies and was able to get to azeo over a single plate using low wines. Scrubbies alone did not hit azeo, so the plate did make a difference.

It was harder to get the 6” to run than the 4”. I could get azeo with 6’ packed 4” over a plate. I went to 8’ as it ran faster. Taller is faster. I would have gone higher if I could have fit it in the building. Based on what Odin has posted you need 15 plates to hit azeo and the column will work better up to 40 plates. From my testing I think those are good numbers. I would aim for a minimum of 20 plates and 25 to 30 would be better.
Now you've got me thinking... What about running a 6" split column... First column is 4 or 5 bubble plates, second column is maybe 5 or 6 feet worth or packed column... This might keep me under my 7'10" cieling and give me decent throughput on a 200L boiler.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

That would work fine. If you don’t do a pump, make sure the drain for the second column has a return to the boiler with a liquid trap. There is a thread on the adi forums right now about drains.

The second column need to have its bottom above the liquid in the boiler if you don’t run a pump. That might mean you need third column to get enough height as you ceiling is low.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I'd make the column as tall as possible and redistill.
A 5' tall column run twice, will make as clean, if not cleaner neutral than a single run through a 10' column
700G
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 700G »

squar_root_pharms wrote:Hello friends. I've been doing a lot of reading on the board and I'm thinking I'll build a boro column to use scrubbies or spp. Preferably scrubbies due to cost. Does anyone know where I would find a 4 or 5 inch borosilicate column
Quartz.com
stillin' when I shoulda been buyin'
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

its a smart man that learns from his mistakes.

Its a smarter man that learns from the mistakes of others.

many others have made the same mistakes.

the more mistakes you make, the smarter you get. I'm still pretty dumb
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.