Boka and silicone?

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hotcat
Novice

Boka and silicone?

Post by Hotcat »

I am in the process of getting all the parts together to build a Boka still. However, parts are not readily available where I live.

So my question is: Can I use a silicone tube just after the draw off of the alcohol? In other words, as it exits the still. Can I use a medical-grade silicone tube here?
zed255
Distiller

Re: Boka and silicone?

Post by zed255 »

The general consensus here will be NO. Silicone is not suited to elevated proof alcohol that may also be quite warm. Best to route the distillate to a collection vessel via copper of stainless.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Hotcat wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:05 am I am in the process of getting all the parts together to build a Boka still. However, parts are not readily available where I live.

So my question is: Can I use a silicone tube just after the draw off of the alcohol? In other words, as it exits the still. Can I use a medical-grade silicone tube here?
Per the rules
1.i - Safety first and foremost! These forums take a very strong negative view on the use of plastics and synthetics in distilling. It simply is not safe to use these during any part of the distillation process with the exception of HPDE buckets which are acceptable for fermentation."

Use copper.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by HomerD »

It’s supposed to be resistant, but I wouldn’t want to drink anything from it. I’d use copper. https://www.phelpsgaskets.com/useful-re ... elastomers
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
Hotcat
Novice

Post by Hotcat »

Thank you. What if the silicone section of the draw-off is only about 5cm long, or 2 inches, towards the end where the draw off has already been cooled to about room temperature?
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HomerD »

The problem is the high alcohol content. It’s a strong solvent.
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

In the end you decide for yourself, but just don't show it or talk about it here. I personally won't use any kind of synthetic hose, though I'm sure it is common in other distilling circles.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

the teflon tape that is widely recommended here seems to dissolve in high alcohol liquid as well
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

I don't know what kind of "teflon" you are using but pure PTFE (Teflon) will not melt in alcohol.
PTFE (Teflon) is the only synthetic approved on this forum that strives for safety and exellence for a reason.
There have been many tests of this product on this forum including some years back a member soaking PTFE in alcohol and testing with a mass spectrometer.
There is tons of information on this forum and elsewhere about PTFE complete resistance to solvents even at high temp. (alcohol is a solvent)
Please don't spread misinformation here. Do some reading and maybe get some other teflon
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Windy City wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:15 am I don't know what kind of "teflon" you are using but pure PTFE (Teflon) will not melt in alcohol.
PTFE (Teflon) is the only synthetic approved on this forum that strives for safety and exellence for a reason.
There have been many tests of this product on this forum including some years back a member soaking PTFE in alcohol and testing with a mass spectrometer.
There is tons of information on this forum and elsewhere about PTFE complete resistance to solvents even at high temp. (alcohol is a solvent)
Please don't spread misinformation here. Do some reading and maybe get some other teflon
it says PTFE on the roll, this is the second one I have tried, I am not sure if the teflon itself is melting but after a run it turned from white to clear with little chunks of the white left on it. Not misinformation, just my own experience and whatever is happening to the tape either melting or just breaking down and coming off the carrier I don't really want little pieces or whatever of teflon in my drink.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

If it is flaking off it is not pure PTFE.
Try a different manufacturer (preferably not chinese) and you should have better results
I have over 20 PTFE tri-clamp gaskets on my still, nothing flakes off or deteriorates them
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

really no need, I have eliminated it from my still.