Running a new 4-plate bubble column

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Smokee
Swill Maker

Running a new 4-plate bubble column

Post by Smokee »

I recently bought a 4-plate bubble column from China. I make all-grain whiskey a couple times a month on my pot still and thought I'd start trying something new so, for $300, what the heck. I ran it last week, stripped 2-6 gallon buckets of my usual AG through the old pot still then ran it through the column slow. My thought was to run water to the deph to load the plates then cut off the water and drop the power, let the plates to their job and see if I get a lighter spirit. Everything was going fine but at around 85% I started smelling tails, I was on my 10th 8oz jar so I knew there was still a ways to go. I started recirculating water to the deph again and the tails smell went away and I collected another 9-10 jars that were clean, no tails. I opted for a modular column, each plate is it's own assembly as opposed to 4 in a glass tube. I figured I could take 2 sections out if I wasn't getting much flavor coming through.

In hindsight, I'm assuming I'm going to need to run some water for more reflux. Maybe take a section or two out? Is it typical to get tails with bubble caps that early?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Running a new 4-plate bubble column

Post by acfixer69 »

Try running the 4-plate like it was meant to be run. Reflux from the deflagmater needs to keep the plates loaded for the plates to act like plates "do their job". Do a one and done with the 4-plate you may like it. Then do a pot still strip and run it through the 4-plate. You may be surprised. Tails are totally compressed in a column that is built and ran correctly.
gwizard
Novice

Post by gwizard »

acfixer69 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:04 pm Tails are totally compressed in a column that is built and ran correctly.
Which might not be what you're after if you're making whisky, especially peated one.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

gwizard wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:04 pm
acfixer69 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:04 pm Tails are totally compressed in a column that is built and ran correctly.
Which might not be what you're after if you're making whisky, especially peated one.
what a plated column is all about separation
Mash master
Novice

Post by Mash master »

I’ve ordered a 4” 4 plate glass column, should I use a reflux condenser With it as well?
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

You have to in order to load your plates.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Mash master wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:59 am I’ve ordered a 4” 4 plate glass column, should I use a reflux condenser With it as well?
Ofcource it a plated column it needs reflux to stay loaded.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

gwizard wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:04 pm
Then why would any one run it in a plated column.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

100% AC
Lots of plated columns make lots of whiskey.

Even ole wutzis name extols the virtue of whiskey makin with a packed column for that matter.

Pickerell even talked (and recommended) an 8 plater for whiskey production.

4 plater makes a fine whiskey, as does a pot still.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

8) Ouch!! Watch it 8)