Otis’ 4” Column Condenser - RC / Dephlegmator

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Otis’ 4” Column Condenser - RC / Dephlegmator

Post by OtisT »

RC Al wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:34 pm So, this RC raises an interesting question

Its able to knock down 5500w with just the inner coil, so even with a clear path up between the side and the outer coil, the hot vapour was still attracted to the more restricted colder coil to be condensed?

And or is having a hot coil next to a cooler coil creating a flow effect, cause its working the same with the flows swapped?

Is there an concentric reducer (cone) above it? Perhaps an influence?
There is no concentric reducer. The only part I use that has not been shown is a piece of copper mech I wrapped around the coils to collect and focus liquid reflux to drip in the center of my column. I’ll take a picture later today and attach so you can see what that looks like.

The attraction of vapor from the outside edge to the inside is because vapor collapsing on the inside coil lowers vapor pressure around the inner coil, drawing in vapor from the sides.

I believe the difference in knockdown power between the two coils at the same flow rate is mainly because the outer coil has more surface area than the inside coil. With equivalent dwell times no matter what coil is used, more surface area = more knockdown before vapor blows past the condenser.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Copper mesh used to direct liquid reflux to the center of the column. This is looking at the bottom of the condenser (it is currently upside down). I stitched the mesh into a point with a few strands of copper wire to get the point.
0D7B8A4B-9CA0-4E07-94EA-EDB8DB800054.jpeg
2DF04FCE-1938-41DB-AF45-C9510B1E1F1E.jpeg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I like how you made that beard. I've been trying to improve the conrol of the run off from my RC by wadding mesh into the middle and between coils. This looks so much more effective. :thumbup:
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:12 am
shadylane wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:12 am I think turbulence in the vapor decreases a condensers effectiveness.
Part of me wants to agree with that too Shady .Turbulence reduces dwell time in contact with cool surface .

I’m just curious about the space between the inner coil and the 4”shell . Theres maybe an inch all around . I’d imagine that if there was no outer coil , the vapour going up the sides of the shell would be a laminar flow and likely not get condensed , where as if its swirling around a coil, there’d be more chance of outer vapour coming in contact with cool inner coil .

Hey sorry to go OT otis . But your design and findings are intruging . :thumbup:

Yummy, your thoughts are welcome any time, and I don’t feel this post is off topic. I love the conversation because this stuff all swirls around in my head anyway, so why not raise the questions and talk about it out loud with friends. :thumbup:

You may be right about what would happen without that outer coil, even though the dwell time would increase a little due to more open volume around the coil (volume currently occupied by the outer coil). If I were to build one with a single coil, it would be the larger diameter coil or possibly one of varying diameters, like Shady’s hand wound column cap dephlegmator.

Otis
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:11 am I like how you made that beard. I've been trying to improve the conrol of the run off from my RC by wadding mesh into the middle and between coils. This looks so much more effective. :thumbup:
Thanks. This one works really well. It is made from about 2’ of 5” wide copper mesh. I stuffed the opposite ends of the 2’ piece of mesh up opposite sides of the column and around the coil, then folded the loose ends up over the top of the coil. Then on the bottom, I tucked the two sides in like folding origami to get the point, then stitched the point in place with a few strands of copper I pulled from the ends of the mesh.