Deciding on 3/4 column height,any advice??

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

brewmaster2014
Bootlegger

Deciding on 3/4 column height,any advice??

Post by brewmaster2014 »

What is UPPPP everyone!!? It's been long time since my last still run.Im building new device got my hands on 23 quarts as pressure canner, I devide to equipped with 3/4 column, because I'm using the same hole the pressure gauge is attached to and I dont want to ruin it.i have 3 fit of 3/4 pipe for the column, the condenserwill of course be jacketed 3/4 OD WITH1/2 INSIDE of it.im mostly intrested in rum,bourbon and whiskey,.from standard calculation - diameter of the column x 15 I have just under 1 foot length. Now this sounds short to me,please let me know what you guys think!!
Cheers.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Deciding on 3/4 column height,any advice??

Post by tombombadil »

Sounds like you want to build a pot still.

I don't believe there's any benefit to having a tall column on a pot still.

If it were me, I would make it just tall enough to get whatever angle I wanted on the condenser.

Whatever the desired condenser angle, surely the column wouldn't need to be 3 feet high. Probably more like a few inches.
brewmaster2014
Bootlegger

Post by brewmaster2014 »

Yeah good point,I forgot to mention that ideally I will be able to destill more clean products such as vodka, is there such think as hybrid column? Also I'm debating on either putting the condenser on 45 angle or parallel to the column.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

3/4” is too small to use as a packed column . It is OK as a riser on a Pot still .

Yes there are Hybrid stills but in my opinion if you want to make A Neutral , use a dedicated packed reflux still like Boka, VM or even a CCVM . 2” is basically the minimum practical size as any smaller takes a ridiculous amount of time to run . .

A CCVM is good example of a Hybrid . You can remove the reflux coil and cap the top and its a pot still .
brewmaster2014
Bootlegger

Post by brewmaster2014 »

Good point,I shall be looking at the ans today! Much appreciated
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

If you are running an electric boiler it is safe to have a parallel condenser. A short shotgun works great

If you run gas , you want your collection point as far away as possible . In that respect a long liebig serves a special purpose .