Scrapyards or Junkyards-Can't get in.

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Scrapyards or Junkyards-Can't get in.

Post by Jstroke »

Wondering how everyone is doing with finding odds and ends at the scrapyards or junkyards. Where I am, they won't even let you walk the yard. I tried several yards and they looked at me like I had two heads. In fact most of them seemed to have a policy in place that you couldn't walk the yard or past the fence posted on the wall, covid or no covid. Now admittedly I haven't had the need in a while, well maybe a long while. Just seemed strange. Maybe times have changed.

Thanks
J
If in doubt leave it out.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Scrapyards or Junkyards-Can't get in.

Post by nerdybrewer »

Likely due to insurance and lawsuits.
Sucks, right?
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

No scrapyard will allow you to walk onto their property, and that applies pretty well all over..

What you have to do is talk with someone at the front desk, and ask they would sell some copper pieces.. if they say yes, then usually someone will show what they have.. if it no, then there nothing one can do..

I've had no issues with that method, as most will accommodate..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

What you have to do is talk with someone at the front desk, and ask they would sell some copper pieces..

I've had no issues with that method, as most will accommodate..

Mars
[/quote]

Aha-words of wisdom. Much appreciated sir.
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

I still pick 2 here in sandals lols
But thats rare for here too - when i was serious about it i showed up with steel caps and a hi-vis vest
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Around here they look at you crazy when you say you want to buy their junk
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My 'scrap yard' is a metal recycling business and all the workers in the yard know me. Anyone can wander in and browse at their leisure. Every kind of metal from aluminum, galvanized, stainless, brass, copper. Sheet, plate, pipe, fittings, valves, square tubing, rods, blah blah blah, all organized my type, length and gauge. Barrels full of all manner of copper fittings. Its where I got my stainless conical, all my 2" and 3" copper fittings/pipe and a couple dozen 2" tri-clamps. Almost bought a 40gal stainless boiler/fermenter with multiple 2" ferrules, but passed. The manager and I have gotten close, and he likes home distilled spirits. I squarely blame this place for my copper addiction...
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:55 pm I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My 'scrap yard' is a metal recycling business and all the workers in the yard know me. Anyone can wander in and browse at their leisure. Every kind of metal from aluminum, galvanized, stainless, brass, copper. Sheet, plate, pipe, fittings, valves, square tubing, rods, blah blah blah, all organized my type, length and gauge. Barrels full of all manner of copper fittings. Its where I got my stainless conical, all my 2" and 3" copper fittings/pipe and a couple dozen 2" tri-clamps. Almost bought a 40gal stainless boiler/fermenter with multiple 2" ferrules, but passed. The manager and I have gotten close, and he likes home distilled spirits. I squarely blame this place for my copper addiction...
same here all organized and under cover, but you can't wander the yard anymore

thanks to some dumbass from out of state climbing the large piles.

from a few years ago; https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 36&t=11232
be water my friend
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Work Health and Safety have pretty much screwed it for all the yards around here too .
Luckily my son put me on to one down his neck of the woods about 6 months ago that had shit loads of copper right up to 8” . I grabbed a few lengths of 4” but even being as careful as I could ,manoeuvring a 10’ length of 4” out of a stack in the corner , I still managed to gash the hell out of my arm on some other metal in the way .

I wasn’t going to let them know though ... wasn’t gonna be the guy that makes then decide no more of the street walk in’s .

Just be real careful folk .
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Ya, there are lots of opportunities for a person to hurt themselves at a scrap yard. I guess I am somewhat blessed to have a scrap yard in my area that I can walk around and dig through bins and piles for materials. Last time I was there was the early days of COVID and I’m not sure if they are open now. Unfortunately they don’t deal in copper but they do have lots of aluminum, stainless and iron, which I am always using to make something. Otis.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:55 pm I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My 'scrap yard' is a metal recycling business and all the workers in the yard know me. Anyone can wander in and browse at their leisure. Every kind of metal from aluminum, galvanized, stainless, brass, copper. Sheet, plate, pipe, fittings, valves, square tubing, rods, blah blah blah, all organized my type, length and gauge. Barrels full of all manner of copper fittings. Its where I got my stainless conical, all my 2" and 3" copper fittings/pipe and a couple dozen 2" tri-clamps. Almost bought a 40gal stainless boiler/fermenter with multiple 2" ferrules, but passed. The manager and I have gotten close, and he likes home distilled spirits. I squarely blame this place for my copper addiction...
You are a very lucky guy, I envy you. Where I live (at least nearby) there is nowhere to look for the pieces. If I had a "treasure island" close at hand I would be very happy!
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

Well, much appreciated. Looks like I’m not the only one. And for those that can still pick I’m envious. Keep up the “relationship building”.

J
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

over here in my neck of woods no issue to enter and browse. but the stainless steel and copper is seperate and they are not always accomodating, think it is rather to get their shipment out to bigger refinaries. bigger issue is when you pay and the police inspect the yard and dealings. THEN my story is i am into home brewing... funny is if you meet a policeman at the yard that you helped to build a still.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?