After a year I'm finally going to complete my ccvm, ?

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sailman
Swill Maker

After a year I'm finally going to complete my ccvm, ?

Post by Sailman »

It's been about a year since I've started this project and I never got around to finishing the reflux column. This is a modular build with tri clamps and I have a question. For the ccvm column it is going to be 2 in by 40 in Long. What would be the advantages or disadvantages of cutting that column down to two 20 in sections? I guess the thing i want to find out is will the joint in the middle of the column affect how it operates in a negative way ? I'm running a half barrel keg and soon will be upgrading to a 5500 watt heating element.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: After a year I'm finally going to complete my ccvm, ?

Post by Deplorable »

My 2" CCVM consists of two spools below the sight glass and T. I pack it with rolled copper mesh and the joint in the middle doesnt create any problems.
I see no disadvantage to a joint in the middle other than the $20 or so it'll cost you for the ferrules clamp and gasket assuming you're cutting a copper stick to build from.
As far as advantages, it's easier to pack away a couple short spools than it is to pack away a nearly 4' long peice.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Thanks for the reply and as long as there's not going to be any ill effects I'm going to cut it in half. The only thing I'll need to order is ferrules. I've already got all of the tri clamps and gaskets that I need because my pot still was set up into sections as well.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

The joint won’t be any problem. My 2” CCVM column has 2 x 600mm spool sections
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time