SPP Wire

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tiramisu
Swill Maker

SPP Wire

Post by tiramisu »

Does this look about right?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1869192 ... 8Wv4N&mp=1

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how many meters per liter of packing or wire is required kind of thing?

I will calculate it if I must but being lazy I figured I would ask first.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: SPP Wire

Post by NZChris »

Are you sure you want to use stainless?

I've got quite thick copper wire that I stripped out of cable that I bought at a scrapyard. It would be very suitable for that purpose should I ever decide to try it.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

I'm still in the basement and all the scrap yards are closed meanwhile copper prices are at an all-time high. steel is cheap and available.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Do you know any Sparkies? I've had copper from a couple. I don't know that I could bring myself to do all that work just to form a column worth of SS packing.
SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

Post by SomethingObscure »

I watched a video a fees weeks back where a guy was making Spp using stainless spring wire. He just wound the wire tight round a square piece of stock (imo it was too large) when he released the tension it naturally created a prismatic spiral. It seem very easy with the need for any jigs or complicated setup just square (I guess you could use triangular too) stock.

I think there is a part 1 too judging by this guy other bids and intro he make springs [emoji16]

Judging by threads I've read copper is easier to get to work with the mandrel. Also for second hand or scrap copper wire I guess there would be doubts on the purity of the copper. I've not done it yet but have been close to ordering wire more than once. My worried about using copper for spp would be that it will degrade with time and I'll also be worried how it might flatter / compress under its own weight. Probably unfounded but given the expense and time I wouldn't want that risk. .

As such a newb I hate to express an opinion contry so someone as experienced as Chris but just my 2 pennies.

Cheers SomethingObscure

Edited to add I think he said it's food grade stainless 188
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Odin had a comment on copper SPP. think it was you have to be carefull of oxidation after the run.

i had a couple of liters of copper tubing cuts that i used in a packed column. they showed oxidation when dry, espesialy the bottom portion.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

I'm not terribly bought into the need for excess copper in the vapor trail.
A little bit is fine by me.
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

tiramisu wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:41 pm I'm not terribly bought into the need for excess copper in the vapor trail.
A little bit is fine by me.
I say this not intending to be a dick at all as I am totally not , not even a little bit , I am not terribly bought into the need for SPP when lava rock and the right column height will do the job :D
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

0.5mm is too thin. Swede recommends 0.025" (0.6-0.7mm) in this thread: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 0&start=30
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

Boozewaves wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:15 pm
I say this not intending to be a dick at all as I am totally not , not even a little bit , I am not terribly bought into the need for SPP when lava rock and the right column height will do the job :D
Its high HETP makes it ideal for shorter columns. It's just a different tool for the job. If you've got the vertical space, lava rock or scrubbies work fine.
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

ThomasBrewer wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:18 pm
Boozewaves wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:15 pm
Its high HETP makes it ideal for shorter columns. It's just a different tool for the job. If you've got the vertical space, lava rock or scrubbies work fine.

yes you are right , I just read the replies and Tira is saying he is in a basement . :oops:
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

My max column height is between 50 and 60" / 3".

Am I going to be able to get ~21 HETP for neutral spirit with lava rock?

For whiskey 3 or 4 plates or pot still seems like the way to go but vodka, gin and limoncello/spirits by Christmas are my current objectives.
I will leave trying to get a palatable barley/rye/corn whiskey for the new year.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Boozewaves wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:15 pm I am not terribly bought into the need for SPP when lava rock and the right column height will do the job
Lava rocks, if sized properly, are very efficience, and light weight..
ThomasBrewer wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:18 pm Its high HETP makes it ideal for shorter columns. It's just a different tool for the job. If you've got the vertical space, lava rock or scrubbies work fine.

So do lava rocks, again the issue is people don't size them properly.. as to SPP, they are very heavy especially for a 3" column packing..
tiramisu wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:51 pm My max column height is between 50 and 60" / 3". Am I going to be able to get ~21 HETP for neutral spirit with lava rock?
Lava rocks size in 5/16 - 3/8" size for a 3" will give you the purity of 95% in a 36" column at a rate of 3L plus per hour..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

@stiller boy... I can see why you are pointing to lava rocks. They are certainly a lot cheaper and more obtainable if able to do such a nice job with only 36" of column to the head. It won't hurt me to get a bag of rocks and give them a try before I go down the whole spp route.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

tiramisu wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:02 pm I can see why you are pointing to lava rocks. They are certainly a lot cheaper and more obtainable if able to do such a nice job with only 36" of column to the head. It won't hurt me to get a bag of rocks and give them a try before I go down the whole spp route.
The issue with most people who want to use lava rocks don't know how to go about making them to the right size, and how to make that happen..

The following thread I have I outline how I go about doing so.. plus over the yrs have experimented with different rocks sizes for 1.5" , 2" , and the 3".. sizing it where it's at, plus properly packing them went the column is loaded..
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=82850

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein