First still

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Nibco
Novice

First still

Post by Nibco »

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and wanted to post about my first still I built.
B6C179C6-7417-48D9-899E-E485642B15FD.jpeg
It is a 2 inch column with about 9 feet of 1/4 inch copper pipe wrapped up into a coil. Stuffed with copper mesh. Then 1 1/2 going over to the condenser. Which is a 1 inch pipe in a 1 1/2 pipe with a little copper mesh in it also. Not completely done yet but excited and wanted to post
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: First still

Post by still_stirrin »

So, do you plan to put a packed column below the reflux coil? That is what is needed if you want to reflux to high purity.

Your coil (a coolant managed) reflux condenser is used to condense the vapor so it falls back down the column, and the rising hot vapors will transfer some of its heat so it creates a condensing/reboiling cycle. The more it does this, the higher the reflux ratio and the resultant product at the product condenser will be a higher purity.

What you’ve got is a lot of copper work, but it by itself won’t produce a high purity spirit. Sure, it’ll work fine for whiskey and rum. But then again, a simple potstill would work just as good and it would be a lot less expensive to build.

I think that your 1/4” coil with copper mesh stuffing the section of pipe will all but shut down vapor flow to the product condenser. If you flow any water at all, the condensing vapor will almost completely return down the column. If you remove the copper mesh, it might make it easier to produce at the outlet while still giving you a pretty good range of condensation return back to the boiler. Again, you want this condensate to interact with rising vapors on the packing to create reflux (boiling/condensing/reboiling, etc.) cycles.

I’d recommend ditching the 2” threaded adapter and getting a 2” T/C ferrule. That way you could easily add a section of pipe (a “spool”) and pack it with copper mesh. For a high purity, 190 proof or so, a 39” (1 meter) tall packed column is the proper length.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Nibco
Novice

Post by Nibco »

Thank you for the input. And yes I am going to pack the column underneath with more copper mesh. And it’s almost 39 inches from the bottom of female to the 2x2x 1/12 tee
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard Nibco, As SS has pointed out, your still will make booze,it will be more useful as a pot still than anything, as a reflux still the design was outdated 10 or more years ago.
There are many steep learning curves within this hobby......spending time researching on the forum before jumping in always pays in the long run.
Check the forums Tried and True recipe section , there are many great recipes there that will make you a fine drink run through that still.
UJSSM and Shadys Sugar Shine are two that I would recommend if your just starting to feel your way into the hobby.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

As mentioned that is a older design of a CM still and will work for whiskeys but not very efficient for neutrals. Are you using electric or propane? The reason I ask is our product output is close to the column thus you need a means of keeping it away from an open flame.
Nibco
Novice

Post by Nibco »

I am using propane as a heat source. I am waiting on my keg to 2 inch male adapter. Once I can clamp it to the keg I am going to run the output pipe further away. Just waiting to get it mounted up to see how I want to run it
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Well done building your own still :thumbup: .

You should be able to pull some product in the high 80s , good for Rum and Whiskey .

I think that you'll find the coolant adjustment to the reflux ( deglagmator) coil will be very touchy . You’ll need it barely cracked open to get any output from the still .

If you want to make Vodka or nutral , you’ll need at least double again the packed length ti get you in the mid 90’s .

Sure , you may be able to squeeze a higher ABV with this still as is , but you would be having it theottled back to about a drip a second for the whole run . And you would need to switch out the ball valve for a needle valve to get the ultra critical deglag control you would need .
Nibco
Novice

Post by Nibco »

Thank you for the responses. I may add a piece of two inch to the bottom to make it taller and add more packing. What height is to tall for a total column length
Nibco
Novice

Post by Nibco »

Ok thank you for the reply I am not done with it yet. I am waiting on my keg to 2 inch male adapter. And once it’s mounted on the keg I will run the output pipe to where I want it. And how tall is to tall for the still. I might add a piece to the bottom but remember reading it should be between certain lengths. It’s already almost 38 inches long. And thank you for everyone’s responses
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Nibco wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:52 pm Thank you for the responses. I may add a piece of two inch to the bottom to make it taller and add more packing. What height is to tall for a total column length
Nibco (like the fittings?),

Like I said, 1 meter of packed column BELOW the reflux condenser. The height of the tower from the condenser upwards won’t affect the purity at all. So, add a spool below the condenser coil.

I agree with the recommendation to replace the ball valve in the reflux coil line, or at least add in a needle valve above the ball valve (you could cut it into the water outlet from the reflux coil as well).

Good effort, but your design needs some improvements to make it more utilitarian.
ss
Nibco
Novice

Post by Nibco »

Ok I will make it 3 feet below the reflux condenser. Thank you. And yes nibco like the fittings. I do plumbing for a living
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Nibco if you search CCVM on the forum you will see another design that you could have built with your plumbing skills.......its actually an easier build and more efficent as a pot or reflux design.
Not saying you need to change ...... just to show you another option for the future maybe.
Nibco
Novice

Post by Nibco »

Thanks you I stumbled on this site after building mine. But I definitely want to build another one in the future. I enjoy building it
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Building can be addictive :thumbup:
Nibco
Novice

Post by Nibco »

FB301177-9F89-40B8-838B-E61B9EF36E6C.jpeg
I made it 39 inches long below condenser in column
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Nibco wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:27 am I made it 39 inches long below condenser in column.
Just remember, raising the head height won’t give you higher purity. You need to reflux through the column packing to get to a neutral. So your packing type does matter (I use 13mm glass marbles in mine).

I see you’ve cut your threaded adapter and coupled in a section of 2”. I would have used tri-clover ferrules and T/C clamps instead to allow for adjustable heights and purity, in the case you won’t always want to make neutrals. Obviously you have copper soldering skills (and tools), so a few copper ferrules would have been a nice enhancement. Perhaps you’ll “see the light” in the future and modify your stillhead yet again.

Granted, 2” copper ferrules aren’t cheap, but the added benefit of “modularity” will quickly surpass the inconvenience of cost. Plus, the Sanke opening on a keg is ideally suited for the T/C ferrule and clamp. Of course, you’ll have to remove the bead from one side of the PTFE ferrule gasket to fit the Sanke flange, but that is easy with some fine grain sandpaper and a flat surface.
ss
Nibco
Novice

Post by Nibco »

I had pipe and fitting laying around. It’s to easy to just cut and solder versus ordering fittings. And I am going to pack it with copper mesh. Just waiting on it to arrive. Amd get my keg adapter in