kettle element controller

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

baldyben
Novice

kettle element controller

Post by baldyben »

So built myself a forced reflux column still. will hold 30ltr for distilling.
Runs well and i can get just under 180 % from it The problem i have is to achieve that the reflux water is running flat out (internal reflux), so no control...
I have a 240v 2.5 kw kettle hearer running it and i think its too much power.
How do i throttle back the " power"
I have read that i need a power controller . Now i am no expert on these things so dont know what to look for
Can someone point me in the right direction (what to get ,where to get it) . I am in the UK
have looked on amazon , lots of things on there if i knew what to look for ...lol
Thanks
Setsumi
Distiller

Re: kettle element controller

Post by Setsumi »

An easy way is to get a SCR voltage controller. You could look at Stilldragon's kit but a SCR is the simplest and cheap enough to have a backup one. Get one that is rated appropriate. In your case i would look at least at the 6Kw or higher. Get a fan as well.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Aliexpress will have more options than Amazon specific to distillation. Lots of prebuilt power controllers if you aren't up to making your own.
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

Type in '220V 10000W Electronic Voltage Regulator' on ebay uk - Im UK based and this is what I use for the same set up as you. Its easy to set up and use. You can get them cheaper from Aliexpress also.
baldyben
Novice

Post by baldyben »

Rum Agol wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:17 am Type in '220V 10000W Electronic Voltage Regulator' on ebay uk - Im UK based and this is what I use for the same set up as you. Its easy to set up and use. You can get them cheaper from Aliexpress also.
Thanks Just ordered one . Amazon were cheaper than e bay.
Stupid question but how have you wired it . I see it has 220v ac in and 220v out out on the back , also a plug socket on the top.
Do i just connect the ac in to the mains and use the plug????
( I'm defiantly not an electrician) lol
Thanks
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

Yes, I removed a flex from an old iron I didnt need and wired that to the ac in then just plugged my boiler in to the controller. Remember to connect the earth wire to the metal body of the controller there should be a screw at the side of it.
baldyben
Novice

Post by baldyben »

Rum Agol wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:28 am Yes, I removed a flex from an old iron I didnt need and wired that to the ac in then just plugged my boiler in to the controller. Remember to connect the earth wire to the metal body of the controller there should be a screw at the side of it.
thanks , much appreciated