Modular build

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Modular build

Post by Tummydoc »

Ben wrote:Oh, and thanks @tummydoc
Tummydoc wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:20 am You might consider adding a fill port to the top of the boiler so you don't have to disassemble the column between runs. A 2 inch port and a funnel make filling easy.
It serves as a fill port which is convenient and allows me to get everything set up and tested before a run, but also gives me a port to open up to speed cooldown. It still takes time, but certainly less than it would if I just let it sit closed up.
Looks good Ben. Now the airstill becomes your gin still. Works great for that use.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Thanks for the compliments.

I'd rather drink skunk urine than gin, but I am not doing that either :)

I am not sure 4 plates would make an appreciable difference. I am going to dial in the recipe on 2, run it a while then make 2 more and try it again. That way I can give a reasonable analysis of whether or not 4 plates is better for my whisky.
:)
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I was able to run a full wash yesterday. It went a lot better, kept the plates loaded and the hearts run seemed to go on forever. Lots to get used to with this, but it seems simple to use. I need to add one more valve to the system and patch one little tiny hole in the deflag that periodically drips a drop of water. I may use solder for it, copper has to be completely dry to weld otherwise it ends up with hydrogen impurities that cause a real mess. I didn't take hydrometer readings, just ran it by feel/performance. I will check the concentration when I start making cuts tonight or tomorrow.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Pulled these jars out and did my blend and toss. I was pleased to see that the whole hearts run came over at 84%, I will keep it at 2 plates for the time being, after a little time the product is delicious :)
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

New, dedicated controller

Post by Ben »

I was tired of lugging my electric brewery controller back and forth between the brewery (outdoor) and the stilling spot, so I built a dedicated, compact still controller.
1121221537a_HDR.jpg
Left (red) light/indicator is main power and feed power voltage.
Right (green) is pump power/voltage
DSPR220 for the hard working part.
The layout lines are still on it, things aren't straight. I will test today or tomorrow, disassemble, clean, and paint if everything seems to function well. Or maybe just leave it rustic~
1121221539_HDR.jpg
1121221555.jpg