reflux column - ideas needed

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: reflux column - ideas needed

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Stonecutter wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:09 pm a jacketed column piece would work but that in experiments the coil type (“cold finger”) was a better choice
By "jacketed column " you mean something like this ??
8-Gallon-Still-with-2-Inch-Dual-Purpose-Tower.jpg
8-Gallon-Still-with-2-Inch-Dual-Purpose-Tower.jpg (13.64 KiB) Viewed 434 times
If so , they are not my favourite, people stopped building those as serious reflux stills before I even thought about distilling 10 years ago.
Stonecutter wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:09 pm is 1x the diameter of the column a “normal” head space for packing below the reflux head. RAD had suggested that in a boka thread.
Not sure Ive ever seen or read that thread, or remember it if I did, probably in the ball park, packing in my 3 inch Boka is approx 2.5 to 3 inches below the lowest point of the bottom slant plate from memory, maybe a little more.
People like Yummy know more about refluxes than I will ever know, maybe he will give you his opinion.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

I had a jacketed condenser column that was a CM reflux system. (Keggomax Super Reflux Still) It was a finicky bitch of a thing to run requiring split plumbing and a needle valve and a shit ton of cooling water. But that was before I learned about power controllers hmm 🤔.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

kimbodious wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:28 am I had a jacketed condenser column that was a CM reflux system. (Keggomax Super Reflux Still) It was a finicky bitch of a thing to run requiring split plumbing and a needle valve and a shit ton of cooling water. But that was before I learned about power controllers hmm 🤔.
Lot of truth in that post Kimbo …. Agree on all accounts :thumbup:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

"Keggo Max Super Reflux Still"..........quite a name.
Oh that is hilarious.

I do not think "they" know what super means?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Yes SBB that’s the exact kind of setup I’m talking about. Happens to be the kind that I purchased :? I don’t know shit about nuthin’ and I’ve never attempted a true neutral but with AG it does good… then again I can’t compare it to anyone else’s.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I believe that that configuration is useful if used as a system with a deflemmer (then partially pass the vapors) or better as a pot-still with partial reflux, in that way it has its own utility, for a total reflux (for neutral) i think it is very inefficient but a coil can be easily inserted in the top and make it a good column.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Stonecutter wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:59 am Yes SBB that’s the exact kind of setup I’m talking about. Happens to be the kind that I purchased :? I don’t know shit about nuthin’ and I’ve never attempted a true neutral but with AG it does good… then again I can’t compare it to anyone else’s.
I was achieving passably decent neutral at 92% ABV with a jacketed reflux column. Rinsing it and storing the one piece unit was a drag. It was slow and finicky as I said before but it was all I had and I could make do.

In the end I sold it to finance the purchase of a Stilldragon Big Baby shotgun condenser at the start of my modular adventure. By the way I used the SD BB condenser as a dephlegmator in a CM, RC in a VM and PC in my pot still and CCVM. :)

I sold the Big Baby to finance the purchase of a SD Long (shotgun) condenser
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

kimbodious wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:56 pm
Stonecutter wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:59 am Yes SBB that’s the exact kind of setup I’m talking about. Happens to be the kind that I purchased :? I don’t know shit about nuthin’ and I’ve never attempted a true neutral but with AG it does good… then again I can’t compare it to anyone else’s.
I was achieving passably decent neutral at 92% ABV with a jacketed reflux column. Rinsing it and storing the one piece unit was a drag. It was slow and finicky as I said before but it was all I had and I could make do.

In the end I sold it to finance the purchase of a Stilldragon Big Baby shotgun condenser at the start of my modular adventure. By the way I used the SD BB condenser as a dephlegmator in a CM, RC in a VM and PC in my pot still and CCVM. :)

I sold the Big Baby to finance the purchase of a SD Long (shotgun) condenser
I can totally see the advantage of the coil over jacket. It is finicky but I’m enjoying the learning curve. I’m sure I’ll get around to coils, speaking of which. Looking forward to vaporcatchers build. Keep us posted with plenty of pics brotha!
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine