Ccvm product line

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bamafig
Novice

Ccvm product line

Post by Bamafig »

Most designs (2”) have a tee with a 2” funnel or reducer going to the product line (let’s say 1/2”). Could one not just braze in a 1/2” line straight to the 2” column? Thus eliminating the need for a tee and associated clamps, etc. The cost savings could be significant for those on a budget or truly small scale, hobby schedule. I’m not a metal worker so I don’t know if the reason for the tee is structural or just easier.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Ccvm product line

Post by OtisT »

Yes, you could just solder a vapor output pipe directly on the column.

The output vapor port often has a fair amount of weight on it so you will need to address this with your build. The tee offers a lot of strength/rigidity that you will not have with two pipes soldered together. If you go this route you will likely want to also solder on a few braces for added mechanical strength.

Using a tee is heavier and more costly but it is also a lot easier to build with than making your own tees, especially for someone with limited build capabilities.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

My 3 "CCVM is welded as you say.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Bamafig wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:27 am Most designs (2”) have a tee with a 2” funnel or reducer going to the product line (let’s say 1/2”). Could one not just braze in a 1/2” line straight to the 2” column?

A 1/2" takeoff, on a CCVM, leaves no practical room for "adjustment" of the condenser position ... you're either going to run fully open or closed.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

The difference in diameter of the offtake compared with the diameter of the column has an effect on amount of reflux and rate of output in the fully open position. Smaller diameter offtakes will lead to higher levels of reflux and slower rates of output even in the fully open position. I recommend that you keep the offtake the same diameter as the column and only reduce at the point where the vapour starts falling down to the product condenser
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Bamafig
Novice

Post by Bamafig »

Good answers all. So, to sum it up, it can be done but not necessarily the best way to go. Got it.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Both ways will work . But do you want “ touchy as all f#%k “ adjustment … or a more smooth adjustment .

Strangely ,its just the opersite on a VM .
On a VM a small take off port valve will give a more smooth control……. Eilbiet …VM is a Nuetral machine .. not a stripper :thumbup:
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Bamafig wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:45 am Good answers all. So, to sum it up, it can be done but not necessarily the best way to go. Got it.
A friend of mine has a CCVM still with a 2” column and a 1/2” offtake. The copper coil RC actually can’t be moved so I guess his is a VM without a valve. The size of the offtake “is” the valve. His system puts out product at azeotrope at two drops per second. The very small offtake means that most of the condensate is returning to the boiler giving a really high reflux ratio and highest ABV output but the rate of output is severely throttled. He also can’t put the system in to equilibrium but that doesn’t seem to matter as far as the final blended product.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time