Column still as Pot still ?

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

levaninep
Novice

Column still as Pot still ?

Post by levaninep »

Hello, I am newbie here, I got column still with theoretical plates.

This is how it looks like.
243739661_543699790259357_290751980999055566_n.jpg
I usually do corn mash. But Now I have technical questions about still.

1) On the first run, I put inside the column 1 cooper net and do not use deflegmator. as usually get product with ABV % (30-50) depends on wash.

2) On second run, I put inside the column 3 cooper net. But now I have question, If I do not use the reflux chamber (deflegmator), is there any idea to put this cooper nets, will they work as plates without deflegmator? or it work as just pot still ?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Column still as Pot still ?

Post by Yummyrum »

Without reflux , its just a pot still .
But Copper mesh will be doing some good … it will be removing some bad Sulphur stuff . :thumbup:
levaninep
Novice

Post by levaninep »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:49 am Without reflux , its just a pot still .
But Copper mesh will be doing some good … it will be removing some bad Sulphur stuff . :thumbup:
Thank you for your answer, so if I put there even 5 cooper net, and use as pot still, it would be better (more cooper will be) thats right ?

I have problem with regulating water flow, when using reflux... Do you have any idea how can I regulate water flow in chamber ?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

levaninep wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:15 am I have problem with regulating water flow, when using reflux... Do you have any idea how can I regulate water flow in chamber ?
Uhhhh….with a valve.

Split the water inlet into 2 streams: one to the product condenser and one to the reflux condenser. Then, you’ll be able to control the flow independently to each condenser.

The reflux condenser will require a faster flow when you’re running at higher heat when the reflux ratio is high (for high purity product). But the product condenser flow rate should be slow enough that the water out stream is warm, or almost hot to the touch.

Independent flows allows adjustment to best regulate the still’s operation.
ss

edit - corrected spelling.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K