Building Reflux still

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shark
Novice

Building Reflux still

Post by Shark »

I have got everything I need to do the build. I am following a design off the net. My questions are. 1. How tall should I make the column. The design shows a 48 inch pipe then more on top with a condenser above. 2. What does the condenser do on the top. Then there is a second condenser at the end.
Screenshot_20220427-143536_Chrome.jpg
Attachments
Screenshot_20220427-143536_Chrome.jpg
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Building Reflux still

Post by Demy »

I recommend reading posts of the topic because I believe you are missing the minimum necessary bases .... it is not an offense, but understanding at least the parts of a column is fundamental.
In any case, the coil at the top is the reflux condenser (RC) while the one at the bottom is the condenser of the product (PC), that is, where you withdraw the distillate. I hope it helps a little ... don't hate me for what I wrote, it's just my advice.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

There many issues the drawing provided, best you research the links below, and the unit is called a CCVM (coolant controlled vapor management)

Originator of the this unit.. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41579&hilit=controlled

Further research of built of this unit..

app.php/googlesearch?cx=012980085383122 ... itesearch=

Enjoy the journey
Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I can't imagine how much that Vapor Management still would cost considering the current price of copper pipe & fittings these days. If I were you, I'd shop for stainless steel Tri-Clamp parts and Tri-Clamp spools to build a VM still. You can make your own reflux condenser out of copper tubing. You could make a Liebig condenser out of copper fitting and pipe. I would search this site and you'll fine much better Liebig condenser builds that use significantly fewer fittings and would be much cheaper & easier to build too.

That 1/2" gate valve seems awfully small for a 2" VM still. I'd want to recommend a 1" gate valve, but I wouldn't go less than 3/4". I would also place the gate valve right after the tee reduces. I'd solder in a thermowell and use a digital thermometer that reads in 1/10th degree F resolution because during a spirit run, the temp only fluctuates within a couple 1/10th degrees and when it goes up a few and stays, you know stinky tails is about to come.

I'd say you picked a really great type of reflux still to build, but I'm bias. That's what I use, only mine is 3". It's a real pleasure to operate.
Last edited by Salt Must Flow on Fri May 20, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

StillerBoy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:41 am There many issues the drawing provided, best you research the links below, and the unit is called a CCVM (coolant controlled vapor management)

Originator of the this unit.. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41579&hilit=controlled

Further research of built of this unit..

Enjoy the journey
Mars
The still head pictured is a VM not a CCVM (Note the valve on the take-off). Either way, the OP clearly needs to read some more.

I understand that you're perhaps committed to this build, but what are you trying to produce? A reflux still is for producing neutral (or near as) spirits. If you're planning on making anything flavoured you'll be wanting a pot still. Having started with a pot still and flavoured spirits and moved on to a CCVM for making neutral for gin and liqueurs I would say that having a reflux still is a good place to start as making cuts for neutral is a bit less subtle than for other spirits so it makes for good practice identifying heads and tails. That said, the concepts you need to wrap your head around and the actually running of a reflux still are more complicated than for a pot still. I would strongly suggest that you pause the build and read everything that you can find about reflux columns.

Here are some keywords to search for: CCVM, VM, packing, reflux ratio, smearing, reflux condenser, product condenser, liebig.

When you've exhausted that lot you should find that you can answer your questions yourself. :wink:
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

StillerBoy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:41 am There many issues the drawing provided, best you research the links below, and the unit is called a CCVM (coolant controlled vapor management)
Mars. FYI, the design he brought to the thread is a traditional valved VM, not a CCVM. And I’m not sure on this part, but I think the CC stands for Column Controlled. Probably named that because calling is coolant controlled would lend weight to the argument that because the amount of product produced is controlled by adjusting cooling, which makes it a CM in my book.

Shark, as has been said above, you do lack some very important information that is necessary to properly build and safely use a still. That valve location is very bad. We were all in your shoes at one point, so do be discouraged by this. Good info is out there to be had, so keep researching and asking questions and you will get there.

In addition to the other reading suggestions, you should look for a copy of a book called “the complete distiller”. That will give you a good general background on the parts of various still designs and what they do. I found it very informative as a noob.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

OtisT wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:03 pm Mars. FYI, the design he brought to the thread is a traditional valved VM, not a CCVM. And I’m not sure on this part, but I think the CC stands for Column Controlled. Probably named that because calling is coolant controlled would lend weight to the argument that because the amount of product produced is controlled by adjusting cooling, which makes it a CM in my book.
Otis.. your probably correct on the term, as I'm not a advocate of the unit, plus my eye sight missed the small valve..
Thanks for the correction, as your explanation makes sense..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
tjsc5f
Swill Maker

Post by tjsc5f »

OtisT wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:03 pm

Mars. FYI, the design he brought to the thread is a traditional valved VM, not a CCVM. And I’m not sure on this part, but I think the CC stands for Column Controlled. Probably named that because calling is coolant controlled would lend weight to the argument that because the amount of product produced is controlled by adjusting cooling, which makes it a CM in my book.
The CC in CCVM stands for Condenser Controlled because you adjust the reflux condenser position to adjust the reflux ratio.
Last edited by tjsc5f on Fri May 20, 2022 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yes it is definitely a VM still in the diagram at the top of this thread.
They are an excellent design favoured by many people.
Shark , do read more on them before starting the build......there are many examples of them on this forum if you search.
Looking in the builds thread would probably be a good starting point.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

tjsc5f wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:55 pm The CC in CCVM stands for Coil Controlled because you adjust the reflux condenser coil position to adjust the reflux ratio.
We are all wrong. :oops: No surprise. Lol

It appears to stands for Condenser Controlled, at least that is what DAD called it in his original post from 2013.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
tjsc5f
Swill Maker

Post by tjsc5f »

Came to edit/fix my post and saw you beat me to it LOL
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Classic fellas . :thumbup:
Coolant controlled
Column controlled
Coil controlled .

LOL , what chance does a newby have :ewink:
Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:22 pm Yes it is definitely a VM still in the diagram at the top of this thread.
They are an excellent design favoured by many people.
Shark , do read more on them before starting the build......there are many examples of them on this forum if you search.
Looking in the builds thread would probably be a good starting point.
Agree , you can improve on the design by having the valve in the horizontal section . When it is in the vertical section as shown , it will build up a lot of condensate (pooling) when equalising.

The valve size will limit your maximum take off rate if you wanted to use the still as a stripper , but in reality it will be fine if you are just going ti use it to make Neutral spirit . I would always recommend using a dedicated pot still head to do stripping runs anyway and just dedicate this VM still to Nuetral spirit runs .

Also note the vent pipe in the top cap . Its very important . It stops the still potentially exploding when you have the valve closed. ( if the Reflux condenser is not working 100%)