Powder coating for still safety

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fim
Novice

Powder coating for still safety

Post by Fim »

Thermal powder coating for a metal still is this safe or would it be toxic,or better still is their a safe powder coating for a essential oil/alcohol still, any advise would be gtlreatly appreciated.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Re: Powder coating for still safety

Post by bcook608 »

Fim wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:49 pm Thermal powder coating for a metal still is this safe or would it be toxic,or better still is their a safe powder coating for a essential oil/alcohol still, any advise would be gtlreatly appreciated.
You should only be using copper or SS for your boiler. Powder coating the outside won't have any affect either way, but do not coat the inside as there could be any number of chemicals that would react negatively to low or high ABV spirits.
Fim
Novice

Post by Fim »

Yeah I only ask because a have an old essential oil and alcohol still that was powder coated and was damaged and I was thinking of trying to get it repaired but I'm not sure what type of powder coating it had
Fim
Novice

Post by Fim »

To be more clear this is not the boiler but the coloum and condenser that was powder coated
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Fim wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:30 pm To be more clear this is not the boiler but the coloum and condenser that was powder coated
I would say as long as it's external, you should be good. Just make sure you mask off the openings real well to avoid contamination of the vapor path.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

Another option is remove the powder with aircraft stripper and polish it up then let the patina kick in.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

post pics of what you are working with.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Most powder coat is made of polyester powder. Stripping it requires aircraft stripper and its a pain in the ass. Wear gloves and a respirator.
I'd be interested to see what you've got going on. I used to powdercoat as a hobby, but sold off my oven and sandblasting cabinet. I kept the spray gun though thinking someday I may dabble again.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Yeah I'd post pics. Pics are worth a 1,000 words otherwise we're all speculating. What is it constructed of?
Yeah I only ask because a have an old essential oil and alcohol still that was powder coated and was damaged and I was thinking of trying to get it repaired but I'm not sure what type of powder coating it had
I wonder what exactly was damaged exactly what needs repaired? Is it only the coating or is the physical damage? What color is the powder coating? More questions than answers.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Taking a punt , but I have one of these old Still spirits Reflux stills . AFAIK they were made of copper but looked liked the outside was powder coated .
27D52205-98A3-48F2-BF07-8FFDD9D96A7D.jpeg
Don’t get me started on the plastic and rubber
Fim
Novice

Post by Fim »

Yeah I'll try an take some.pics,I'm pretty shore its aluminium metal with grey metallic powder coat ,their is no damage to the still just that the powder coated bubbled up and off the surface
Fim
Novice

Post by Fim »

No its no a still spirit reflux
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Fim wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:54 am Yeah I'll try an take some.pics,I'm pretty shore its aluminium metal with grey metallic powder coat ,their is no damage to the still just that the powder coated bubbled up and off the surface
If it is aluminum Don't use it as a still for consumption!! more info is needed.
be water my friend
Fim
Novice

Post by Fim »

Hey this is a photo of a similar column I found on home distillers.org it has the same powder coating
still-head.jpg
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Fim wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:06 pm Hey this is a photo of a similar column I found on home distillers.org it has the same powder coating still-head.jpg
Wut? There's a knockoff hd?
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Fim
Novice

Post by Fim »

What not sure what the means but I found this pic on an old post and it looks really similar to what I'm asking about what type of powder coat would this be,and is it something that could be re done safety
Fim
Novice

Post by Fim »

Or should I start to look into something new
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Fim wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:17 pm Or should I start to look into something new
I seriously think that powder coating the inside of a still is a DIY poison experience waiting to happen .

Why the hell would anyone powder-coat a perfectly good copper still head . :crazy:

Fim , you are obviously very capable of using our search feature :thumbup:
And able to save and repost a pic .
So I’m wondering why you didn’t just post a pic of your own still head , which I’m curious to see .
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Ok, so what is pictured is hammertone paint.

That reflux coil is -painted- If your unit looks like that - kinda irregular bumpy surface, Please stop using it immediately. Powder coat finishes smooth. I would not use a unit with any internals coated with anything

Gosh.. the things they sell

Ps Yummy, pretty sure the old SS units are enameled on the outside
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

RC Al wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:59 am Ok, so what is pictured is hammertone paint.
How do you know this from a photo? Powder coat can be textured as well...
:)
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Having worked with China, we had certified lead free powder coat come in a 40,000ppm lead. I would not use powder anywhere you have alcohol. Too much of a chance of getting contamination.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Fim
Novice

Post by Fim »

Yeah its been put away for some time but its still been inmind to repair,it is Australian made at first I always thought it was anodized, then I thought more enameled but then in reading I heard may by powder coated,
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Ben wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:12 am
RC Al wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:59 am Ok, so what is pictured is hammertone paint.
How do you know this from a photo? Powder coat can be textured as well...
Cause its on the hinge pin, powder coat a hinge n see what happens the first time you flex it, would have to be done in two pieces, trimmed and pin inserted, the pins head is in the same stuff and that sounds like too much work for a pos mass produced cheapy still?

Sure i could be wrong but i doubt it
Fim
Novice

Post by Fim »

So is their any thing I can do to anodize,powder or paint to make it useable again or would I be better off buying something new or trying to make a ss copy,,,
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Fim wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:06 pm Hey this is a photo of a similar column I found on home distillers.org it has the same powder coating still-head.
Can you please post a link to where you found this picture on HD?

Hopefully it's in the what not to use section. don't copy this design

without reading a great deal more. Many better designs are available.

Edit: to answer the above question. NO nothing
be water my friend
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

This cob .
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6952&p=7715798#p6749070
Fim wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:16 am So is their any thing I can do to anodize,powder or paint to make it useable again or would I be better off buying something new or trying to make a ss copy,,,
No , theirs nothing safe you can do with it other than chuck it in the bin . It’s an unsafe Piece of shit for making alcohol safe for human consumption .

If you want to keep it for essential oil making , knock your self out . :thumbup:
Fim
Novice

Post by Fim »

What coating or get rid of the coating all together for essential oils, yeah all NO for alcohol
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Do you know what metal that still is constructed of? If it's stainless steel, I'd try using a paint stripper and be sure 100% of the powder coating has been removed. While I was at it, I'd remove it from the exterior too. You just don't need a coating at all, anywhere on a still. Obviously a thorough cleaning would be necessary.
Fim
Novice

Post by Fim »

I haven't looked for ages but I think if my memery is correct its aluminium
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Fim wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:23 pm I haven't looked for ages but I think if my memery is correct its aluminium
Aluminum is a no go. Stainless steel or copper otherwise ditch it quick.