Alcoholmeter

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

wpkluck
Swill Maker

Re: Alcoholmeter

Post by wpkluck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:17 pm

Has anyone ever experimented with a bobber-type SG indicator? I’m thinking about building one, that will sink automatically around 1.01 FG. If used with a clear plastic cover for the fermenter, it would provide an instant, and perhaps even gradual, indication of current SG.

Of course, the weight of such a bobber would depend on the size. I was just wondering if anyone had done it. I wasn’t able to find any in a search, either here or on the Internet. An experiment, to be sure!
- The Doubler

Run it, X. Thump it, XX. If you get 1.5, well, I think you can do better!
It's EASY to make good liquor. It's even EASIER to make bad liquor!

Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:38 pm

wpkluck wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:17 pm
Has anyone ever experimented with a bobber-type SG indicator? I’m thinking about building one, that will sink automatically around 1.01 FG. If used with a clear plastic cover for the fermenter, it would provide an instant, and perhaps even gradual, indication of current SG.

Of course, the weight of such a bobber would depend on the size. I was just wondering if anyone had done it. I wasn’t able to find any in a search, either here or on the Internet. An experiment, to be sure!
A standard hydrometer will float in a wash no problem, no doing needed there. The problem is that with most washes/mashes bubbles and floating material will mess up the reading. So you end up having to pull the hydrometer and sample to get a clear reading.

Og course many will say, it's just not needed. Wait until it slows down then taste it, and feel if it's sticky on your fingers.

Current boiler and pot head viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71855
Cross flow condenser viewtopic.php?f=87&t=47632
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

wpkluck
Swill Maker

Post by wpkluck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:01 pm

Expat wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:38 pm
A standard hydrometer will float in a wash no problem, no doing needed there. The problem is that with most washes/mashes bubbles and floating material will mess up the reading. So you end up having to pull the hydrometer and sample to get a clear reading.

Og course many will say, it's just not needed. Wait until it slows down then taste it, and feel if it's sticky on your fingers.
Thanks, Expat. I have a std hydrometer, and of course it works fine. But I have to take the top off my bucket to check. I’m trying to think of a way to have a visual indicator. Like a bobber on the lake, when it goes down, the mash is done.
- The Doubler

Run it, X. Thump it, XX. If you get 1.5, well, I think you can do better!
It's EASY to make good liquor. It's even EASIER to make bad liquor!