Flexible tube

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Flexible tube

Post by The Baker »

Also refers to this thread:
Char from old barrel

Hi,
Suppose I wanted to connect two vessels containing spirit.

And suppose they were laying on their side.

And suppose each had a short length of stainless tube.

I know I could use ordinary clear tube pressed onto the bits of tube to join them; a look at the web says it is vinyl.
I assume that is not recommended but is there an alternative?

Geoff
Last edited by The Baker on Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Baker
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Flexible tube

Post by Ben »

Permanent or temporary connections? You could fit transfer tube, they make teflon hose that is rated for ethanol fuels that would work. If you are looking for something more permanent stainless line attached with swagelok's would be durable and serviceable.
:)
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Teflon lined hose that is rated for ethanol/methanol fuels would work. What size do you need?
:)
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Ben wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:46 am Permanent or temporary connections? You could fit transfer tube, they make teflon hose that is rated for ethanol fuels that would work. If you are looking for something more permanent stainless line attached with swagelok's would be durable and serviceable.
You said, they make teflon hose that is rated for ethanol.
Beauty! I had no idea it was available. And I looked it up on the web, it seems to be really cheap!

Semi-permanent is what you would say I want...
I was kicking around the idea of stacking the oak-topped jars I have been talking about
(with the stainless tube inserts sticking out through the oak).
( in this thread: Char from old barrel)

Two thoughts emerged.
Fitting a short length of suitable tube with a stopper in it (onto the stainless insert) would be a lot cheaper than a spigot.
One spigot instead of at least twelve...(Wait for it...!)

You could easily remove the stopper or remove the tube-and-stopper to fill or empty.
(if you had the right sized stainless funnel you could push it inside the length of teflon tube...)

And in the same stacked configuration you could connect the stainless insert of the lower bunghole of the top "barrel",
to the upper bunghole of the next lower "barrel" so that as you fill the top "barrel" each lower one is automatically filled.
Take from the lowest "barrel" and top up into the highest and you have a solera system.

The jars are little and if, as I plan to, you set them up as twos side by side, you could have two, side-by-side, soleras.
The draw-off bungholes on the lowest TWO could be joined by the special tube and a tee to a spigot...

And this would work in with setting up the "barrels".
Make a set of two.
Fill them at your leisure.
Make a second set of two, position them on top of the other set (dowels and holes).
Join up the bungholes as we said.
Fill them at your leisure.
Make up another twinset...

If you want (depending too on the amount of oak imparted by your "barrels", which would reduce with time and use)
leave your spirit in glass with oak nuggets for a while first.

Geoff
The Baker