Yummy’s Gravity fed reservoir for Pump

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Yummy’s Gravity fed reservoir for Pump

Post by Yummyrum »

I recently upgraded my coolant tank from my old 1000 Litre to a 5000 Litre . I use to drop my Sump pump ( Butt Pump ) ( Submersible Pump) into it but invariably , I’d forget to remove it . So It would get all slimy and Mozzies would get into the tank as would leaves and other crap .

This time I have gone for an external trough I can pop my submergible easily when needed without risk of contaminating the tank .

The idea isn’t mine , I saw it at Saltbushbills years ago but have finally got around to it .

Basically its a float valve n a trough that is gravity feed from the tank . The trick was to find an float valve that would allow enough flow into the trough as the pump could remove .
My first version used a 1/2” float valve I found in the shed . I believe it come from the local rural store for filling cattle troughs . I thought it would work OK .
New tank setup
New tank setup
Trough
Trough
Water flow in
Water flow in
Return flow to tank
Return flow to tank
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Yummy’s Gravity fed reservoir for Pump

Post by Yummyrum »

It kind of worked as long as the tank was full , there was enough pressure to fill it but it was only just enough .
If I turned up the flow to the liebig too much , it would drain the trough faster than it would fill .

So I got a high flow low pressure 1” float valve .

It seemed to have a lot more flow .
Hi-flow float valve
Hi-flow float valve
More flow
More flow
I had to install the extension arm to get it to shut off though . So far it seems to work OK .
Short arm overflowing
Short arm overflowing
Bryan1
Swill Maker

Post by Bryan1 »

Yummy I use a 5,000 gal tank for my cooling and theres a 1" pipe that goes around the back of my shed at ground level which feeds into a 12 volt flojet pump. Then I setup using solid tubing a tap for the sink and bleed valve to empty the PC and RC and at the end of the pipe a tap for the still water supply. I put in a 3/4" pipe at shed level with a non return valve which flows back in the top of the tank.

As the flojet pump is 12 volts I just used a transformer and rectifier circuit then fed that into a feebay 12 motor speed controller which is controlled by a 5K pot. I do find I only have to run the pump at just less than 50% for cooling and all water requirements as 17 litres a minute is a tad too much to put thru a tap.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

That sounds cool Bryan . Do you have a link to that pump .
I’m just using what I all ready have but 12V pump is definitely something I could be interested in especially with all the power outages we get here .
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

There are a number of pumps which can be submerged or line fed
Dragonfly makes a good one (i use it for my pool heater system)
image.png
You can get them in ranges of 1.5 - 3.5 meter head
Simply connect it at the bottom of your tank, with a valve on the output side of the pump to throttle flow
any water not used just goes back into the tank (select the pump that pushes about 1 meter higher than the top of your tank
then there is no need for a separate controller to slow it down
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Thanks Eric . If I was going for a new Pump setup , that sounds like a great option . I just had this Submersible here that I only recently bought to replace my old one that ran for years , so I’m trying to squeeze th life out of this one .
Bryan1
Swill Maker

Post by Bryan1 »

Yummy I got that flojet pump off a job site after the boss said just bin everything and don't bother bringing anything back, that was in '06 and this pump has worked for me ever since. Only once I I have to strip it as silly me put a sludge thru it but after a good clean it was back to working nicely. I'll see if I can find this pump on a search for you.

Cheers Bryan

Edit:

https://creativepumps.com.au/products/i ... jet-pumps/

They don'y list the one I have and mine is rated for 17 litres a minute, now I use that 12 volt DC speed controller and only need to run the pump at 50% which does save on the power consumption which prevents the pump getting too hot when used for hours on end distilling
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I don't use sobbs but it's a good system. I wondered if it wasn't enough something like this for our uses https://www.amazon.com/ledgle-submersib ... ywords=12v + Pump + For + Tank & QID = 1643564111 & SPRIFIX = 12V + Pump + for + Tank% 2CAPS% 2C183 & SR = 8-10