THE LAVA ROCK USAGE POST

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: THE LAVA ROCK USAGE POST

Post by bunny »

to quote odin:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63103#p7431465

This has been just a test to determine the HETP of my scoria.

Try it on yours.
It's really not difficult. :D
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

bunny wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:29 am to quote odin
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63103#p7431465
I need to do this for the SPP I have I am betting its doing decent being larger SPP 6.5mm not going to be breaking be records I figure like 3cm but speed will be decent for sure based on first tests. 3" Boka ... 3.2 LPH @ 172.3 to 173.4 F stable till end the run with 51 to 52" of packing form 10% wash.

B
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Sorry, All due respect to odin, but that test dose not give you absolute hept, its too simple. As der woo eludes to in one of the later posts, with out measuring reflux ratio/take off rate/power used, all your proving is that you can produce X percentage of booze with that set up, not an actual measure of the packings performance.
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

RC Al wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:00 pm Sorry, All due respect to odin, but that test dose not give you absolute hept, its too simple. As der woo eludes to in one of the later posts, with out measuring reflux ratio/take off rate/power used, all your proving is that you can produce X percentage of booze with that set up, not an actual measure of the packings performance.
If you will note, odin states the shorter his stack of packing gets the more reflux he needs to reach azeo. When he can no longer take off anything at azeo he has reached the limits of the packing. The take off rate is zero. The reflux ratio is then infinity, and the hetp can be calculated.

I doubt this test is to determine absolute anything. It's good for a ball park figure and a way to compare different packings with one another.
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Had a re-read, noting I missed "steady power" for the test in a later post, had a think, so sure it works as a hept test, but for comparison to other peoples results, I still think hept without kw is not very useful, If for example 2 different stills get similar hept but with a 2mm media size difference, the one that needs less power is technically better.

This test could be a way to test that semi aqueous idea being hashed out currently though?