Where do I get a keg?

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bowlermj8
Novice

Where do I get a keg?

Post by bowlermj8 »

Hey, I'm just starting to build my first reflux still. I noticed that many people on this forum use 15 gallon kegs as boilers. Where do you get the keg from? Can you order them from somewhere? I was thinking about getting a keg (filled with beer) from the liqueur store down the street and just not returning it. I realize I'll loose the deposit, but will I run into any legal issues? Basically, Where the hell do I get a keg?
19Kilo
Novice

Re: Where do I get a keg?

Post by 19Kilo »

People here get touchy over the lagality of that question. I wont say how I got mine, so no one gets mad at me.... but the forums answer would be: 'contact your local distrobuter, I am sure they have some scrap kegs to sell'.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

You might try the local distributer, although they usually have a source for exchanging damaged kegs.
Google for Sabco, they sell new and used kegs, cut and uncut. Other mods are available though them as well. They aren't cheap, but they are 'legal'.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

Well, the truth of the matter is that a deposit is not enough to cover the cost of a new keg. So, if you buy a keg of beer and not return it, you're basically stealing from the brewer/distributor of the beer.

Kegs are available at many different retailers on the web and your local beer distributor should have old kegs that they are retiring for sale. Another option is to contact your local homebrew club, many brewers have kegs in their garages that they are not using and will sell off cheap just to get them out of the garage. Sometimes your favorite bar may have old kegs that have been sitting around in the back room for a long time and are not owned by their current distributors.

cheers

~bd~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
stuartashers
Novice

Post by stuartashers »

Keep your eye on ebay when a keg comes up contact seller place your bid or not. In Oz ebay can keg listings but appear not to in U.S. My first keg is a 50 L from a brewer that closed down years ago I bought from a scrappy for $ 80.00 au. I have just purchased 4 x 80 L decommissioned kegs from a ex wine maker they are worth a try especially a scrappy. hope this helps
billy_bob_95
Novice

Post by billy_bob_95 »

Several 15.5 gallon kegs for sale on Ebay as of yesterday. Also try Craigslist. I posted a want ad and got a few replies for beer kegs for sell.
2" Copper Reflux Rig
15.5 Gallon Boiler

3" Copper VM Rig
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I also posted want adds to craigs list. I would post about every 3 days or so. Took a while to finally score a keg, (like 2 months), but then within 2 weeks, I ended up with 5 full size, and 2 1/4 barrel kegs.

They are out there, you just have to keep asking. I paid $35 total for the 7 I got on CL. I had prior paid for one on ebay, and paid $15 for the keg, and $40 for shipping. Thus, all 7 on CL ended up being cheaper than the single one I got of ebay.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Wai‘ona
Novice

Post by Wai‘ona »

I was at the local recycling center on Monday looking for some 1" copper and over to the side in the stainless steel section were two half barrel (15.5 gal.) sankey kegs. I picked both of them up for $1 per pound, or $66 for both. One is AB and the other is MBC. I've got a sales receipt so no worries about who they really belong to. They are in good shape. I got after them with some (automobile) wheel cleaner and scotch brite on the outside, and am soaking the inside with a weak NaOH solution. Soon to be fermenters...

Mrs. Waiona rolled her eyes when she saw them in the back of my pickup when I got home. She claims I have a carboy (cornelius keg, sankey keg) fettish. I have a real hard time passing them up when I see them for sale.

She knew what she was getting into. We met at a brewers' convention in New Orleans...
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
bowlermj8
Novice

Post by bowlermj8 »

hey, it turns out the bar down the street has a few extra they're willing to sell me for cheap! Thanks guys!
stuartashers
Novice

Post by stuartashers »

Hay no fair I just got 8x18 Gal kegs for $31 ea. Wai'ona I'm not married and got the same trouble. I tell her when I'm up an running I'll sell her 5 of my brew for less than she can buy 2 of hers (she's not happy, alcohol over here in Australia is getting expensive (tax)) 700ml for good alcohol range from $49:00 to $89:00 +
Wai‘ona
Novice

Post by Wai‘ona »

stuartashers wrote:...alcohol over here in Australia is getting expensive (tax)) 700ml for good alcohol range from $49:00 to $89:00 +
Auwe! No wonder there are so many home distillers in Oz!

Remember the axiom:
If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
exon
Swill Maker

Post by exon »

I know nothing

There's a couple breweries in my area...
I stopped by one the other day and inquired about buying a scrap keg.
The fellow at the end of the bar (it's a brew pub) happened to have authority over such things and he was friendly enough, but kinda blunt about it...
He said, "We watch our metal closely. Periodically a "Keg Shark" comes by and buys ALL our scrap kegs and returns them to their rightful owners, (for the reward), or refurbishes them for re-sale."

So that was pretty much the end of THAT discussion ! :)

A plumber who happened to be drinking at the bar offered me his card and said he would sell me scrap copper, which he said he did so every 3 months or so.
He was also good enough to direct me to a 'Re-store'. A 'Green Business' where they offered re-cycled building materials at discount rates.
THAT place happened to be nearby and they DID have a lot of smaller copper fittings at the time for much less than store prices, yet not as good as scrapyard prices by weight.

I will NOT buy a keg unless I can get a legal bill of sale for it... just one more ugly mark that might one day appear in the newspaper article... :lol:
exon
I am a pathological liar and functional illiterate.
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I bought my kegs absolutely legit from a company that refurbishes / rebrands them for the breweries.

This is a UK based example, but there must be companies like this anywhere there are breweries. http://www.morrow-brothers.co.uk/
jimmayhugh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jimmayhugh »

You can buy one brand-new from Norcal, and have it modified. Jaybird will also do custom modifications.

Beverage Factory has a brite tank that already has a 4" ferrule and modified cap available that I use as my fermentor. I also have one that I'm adding 1.5" ferrules for a heating element and drain.

Beverage Factory also has standard sanke kegs available.

They're a little pricey, but at least you know that they're not stolen... :D
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Wow you have revived an old thread but I would second Jay at NorCal Brewing Solutions. They are in Redding California and Jay is a great guy. He also welds and makes a lot of his own stainless equipment.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Another source for new kegs

G4 kegs (aka Gopher Kegs) will sell you a new keg of just about any size/shape. You can get it w/o the spear and save $15. Shipping was $20 last time I had one shipped in state.

http://Www.Gopherkegs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

https://www.morebeer.com/products/kegme ... 3-gal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Has a 4" triclamp & is setup to ferment under pressure. All you would need is a column.

Fermenting under pressure would be good for neutrals as it kills ester formation. It would be bad for anything that you would want flavor out of - whiskey, rum, etc.
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

Search eBay and Craigs List.
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

Found these on eBay that should meet the rules.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2382821455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow