Adhesive question

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shifty

Adhesive question

Post by Shifty »

Hi there,

Follow-up question to my first post regarding the use of the Amazing Still. What adhesives are out there for use around alcohol. My thought was to modify the version of the amazing still be affixing a funnel to the bottom of the large container in order to have the distilled liquid run down the funnel and into another container. To do so, I would need to cut a circle hole in the bottom of the large bucket and "glue" the funnel to the base. Is there any kind of bonding agent that is safe to use with alcohol, and will not break down/impart off flavors, etc???

Thanks!
Professor Duck
Novice

Post by Professor Duck »

Aquarium grade silicone should do the trick.
Image If Leonardo da Vinci had a video camera.
geurie
Novice

Adhesive ?

Post by geurie »

"SELLEYS" have a new product out called "SILICONE 401". IT IS SAID TO WITHSTAND Temp's to 205' cel. I've used outside the still. I don't know if i'd use inside. :D :)
Be kind to yourself,
rkidtech
Novice

Sealig the amazing plastic still connection

Post by rkidtech »

Hi Shifty,
Why not use a plastic tank connector that has push fit metal grab ring and a rubber sealing “O” ring on the inside, on the exit side of the tank connector for copper pipes
A connection like the one at this link http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 2&ts=61266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow This is a pretty expensive copper pipe connection (but it gives you the general idea). You can get 1 ½ “ and 1 ¾” white kitchen waste pipe size type connectors they have just a rubber “O” ring seal on the inside and no metal grab ring. If you use plenty of PTFE tape around the connection stub base, where it touches the container side, then tighten the plastic lock nut on the outside you should be ok.
Geoff
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

If i was to make a more permament version of the amazing still id be looking to use 2 metal cones where the higher proof alcohol will contact. Most of us brew our mash in a plastic bucket so with the mash been lower alcohol content, heating it in a food grade plastic bucket shouldnt cause to many concerns (id still prefer a stainless tub mysef). Now higher alcohols n plastics dont mix so well, so id be tempted to make one stainless/copper (if u can get it) cone to sit in the top of the bucket and another stainless/copper cone (with the bottom cut of) to sit in the bottom of the bucket and act as the funnel, this eliminates some of the alcohols contact to plastics, but unfortunatly it will still contact the sides of the bucket on its journy (this why id prefer stainless)

much easyer to build yourself a potstill :D but i still see the advantages with amazing still for first time use n ease of build/use