Got a visit from the BATFE last month.

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pangea

Got a visit from the BATFE last month.

Post by pangea »

This is the first time in about a month that I could access this board. Has it been down? The "MAN" came to my house last month. Actually there were two of them and they wanted to look around in my barn. It seems that they got a tip that someone here was making moonshine. They had no warrant but we let them look around anyway. Heck, we only make wine. No problem. They looked around, finding nothing, and left. I guess someone saw our winemaking setup and ratted on us. They were too stupid to know that making 15 gallons of wine is legal.

Watch out for dumbasses that think wine is moonshine!
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

Some friends you've got if they call the police on you for making wine... :o
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
Pieterpost
Swill Maker

Post by Pieterpost »

unbelievable what some people do! Must be jealous or something ....
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

No down time of the board that I know of, Pangea. That's weird you couldn't access it. Maybe the man didn't want you to tip any of us off ;-)

I was just wondering if anyone on this board had ever had a brush or scrape with the revenoors. I know we all practice the don't sell it, don't flaunt it policy, and I do believe that they have bigger fish to fry (esp. here in Va. and other SE states where there are huge operations making thousands of dollars worth). But truth be told if the BATFE wanted to come after hobbyists like us all they'd have to do is run a few IP traces on this board and they could track us down. Just don't think they're that interested in us (not that they wouldn't make an arrest in a minute if it were right in front of them).

Sorry you got the visit, Pangea glad you only make wine! Did they really not know it is legal to make your own wine? That's kind of scary if they're BATFE agents.
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.
pangea

Post by pangea »

The revenoors knew the law. The dumbass that reported me obviously didn't. We had the carboy and some buckets with air locks on the back porch. The back porch in Tennessee is the main entrance to the home. Some 'tard tried to score some brownie points with the fedrul guvment I guess. Heck it could have been the UPS guy, meter reader, Jehovas Witnesses, etc.

When the agents left they were laughing and talking about how "aunt Sally" makes wine and "uncle Maynard" makes beer.

I don't mind telling you boys, I was skeert!
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

Oh, I gotcha. Well, maybe put the buckets on the back side of the house in the future;-) Anyway, I'm sure it got yer heart rate up, I'd be afeart too! Any encounter with the law is not pleasant in my book.
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.
Blueraven
Swill Maker

Post by Blueraven »

durn,

and i got fellows asking me to sell it to em too. Well im too smart for that until i get the liscense to do it from them and the state. till then itll hafta be free i guess. just leaves more for me too. <G>
Rocky_Creek
Rumrunner

Post by Rocky_Creek »

Did they have a warrent?
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, and them's pretty good odds.
Blueraven
Swill Maker

Post by Blueraven »

just a friend and an old timer i met doing some work here at home. I dont make enough to sell anyway. too time consuming. later maybe and a license.
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

It's odd this should come up. I've been a bit on edge about getting caught, myself, lately. My landlords are showing my apartment to various prospective tenants, which means that anyone could be coming or going from my apartment on next to no notice.

Fortunately, my setup is reasonably easy to hide, and doesn't look like much more than a stock pot when not assembled. The only thing that looks suspicious is the condensor, which I have neatly hidden away, and my fermentor, which I can't exactly hide, but isn't illegal to own/use. But in cases like this, where someone sees the fermentor and alerts the BATFE about it...that's worrisome.
Blueraven
Swill Maker

Post by Blueraven »

well im gonna write my 3 legislators about makeing it legal ..its a bunch of bs for the gov to make the citizens suffer.

its really the gov knee jersk reaaction to the 30's etc.

its also the gov forcing its inefficiencies and antiquated laws on us.

email your legislatures and complain.

I'm not antigov but it is too large.

maybe this aught to be in another forum.

see ya
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

Good luck with that.
ginzo
Bootlegger

Re: Got a visit from the BATFE last month.

Post by ginzo »

As a rile of thumb, never EWVER let anyone you don't know into your home unless they have a warrant. It amazes me how many people will let a complete stranger search their home just because they have a badge and a gun.
Do not speak- unless it improves on silence.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

I think the case Holy was trying to make is "if you don't have anything to hide". I agree with Holy, if they get to look around, satisfy themselves there is nothing around that interests them and then have to be berated by you all through the visit and leave without having found anything...who would want to come back for second helpings of that?
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
ginzo
Bootlegger

Post by ginzo »

You can waive your rights if you like. My premise still holds that my rights are not negotioble. Yours might be, but mine are not.
Last edited by ginzo on Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not speak- unless it improves on silence.