Cleaning Copper Mesh

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nativemt
Novice

Cleaning Copper Mesh

Post by nativemt »

Hello All,
I've found a quick way to clean copper mesh and bring it back to high brightness.

1. Remove from column, straighten it out, and roll around your hand like you'd do with toilet paper.
2. Put it in a container least twice the size of the copper and fill 1/4 - 1/3 full with white vinegar.
3. Add one scoop of Oxyclean.
4. Mix together until copper is fully submerged in the white foam.
5. Agitate the copper in the mix about every five minutes. The foam will begin turning blue.
6. The foam will turn to liquid and the liquid will turn green after the third or forth agitation.
7. Remove from mix, wash with tap water and it will be ready for another use.
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Cleaning Copper Mesh

Post by HolyBear »

That could come in handy, thanks for the info. I take mine out sometimes and spray the hell outta it with water, but I always wonder if its really clean... thanks...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
mash rookie
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by mash rookie »

Or you could pour some vinegar in your column, let sit 5 minutes and rinse. Or you could run your still more often and put it away after it has been sterilized with alcohol without rinsing.

It does not need to be shinny.
nativemt
Novice

Post by nativemt »

This cleaning method came from me trying to reproduce the "foaming gun cleaner in a can". Once I found out how well it worked for cleaning old oxidized bullets, I tried the mesh and found it worked equally as well.
RumRaider
Swill Maker

Post by RumRaider »

Throw some in the boiler during a run. It not only breaks the boil; it comes out shiny as a new penny.
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

I used oxyclean in my keg and the next run I noticed white specs in the distillate.
astronomical
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by astronomical »

I recently tried Star San and it worked great... After an hour soak it tore through even the dirtiest scrubbies...

Any reason I shouldnt be using star san?
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

I think you should be ok as long as you follow protocal, check their website for it.
astronomical
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by astronomical »

King Of Hearts wrote:I think you should be ok as long as you follow protocal, check their website for it.

I should have added that I neutralized it by rinsing then setting it in a baking soda bath for a few minutes then rinsing again before drying... My bad.... Give it a try though.. It worked way better than white vinegar..
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

RumRaider wrote:Throw some in the boiler during a run. It not only breaks the boil; it comes out shiny as a new penny.
Gona try that one next run!
"yeah? yeah? the maple flavored kind?" A dog on you tube.
astronomical
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by astronomical »

Richard7 wrote:
RumRaider wrote:Throw some in the boiler during a run. It not only breaks the boil; it comes out shiny as a new penny.

Would you drink oxyclean??? :evil: This sounds like a horrible idea.... DO NOT put oxyclean into your still charge..

I could be wrong, but, this sounds extraordinarily stupid to me...

also... "When properly dissolved, the pH of OxiClean can be as high as 11. Some items, such as carpeting, have warranty limitations or recommended pH cleaning of no more than 10."... Wont this damage copper?
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

astronomical wrote:
Richard7 wrote:

Would you drink oxyclean??? :evil: This sounds like a horrible idea.... DO NOT put oxyclean into your still charge..

I could be wrong, but, this sounds extraordinarily stupid to me...

also... "When properly dissolved, the pH of OxiClean can be as high as 11. Some items, such as carpeting, have warranty limitations or recommended pH cleaning of no more than 10."... Wont this damage copper?
He means the copper scrubby, not oxyclean.
astronomical
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by astronomical »

That makes sense... Wasn't obvious and I'd hate for someone to distill oxyclean...

"Throw THEM in the boiler during a run." would have been a much better way to word that..
RumRaider
Swill Maker

Post by RumRaider »

:D
astronomical wrote:That makes sense... Wasn't obvious and I'd hate for someone to distill oxyclean...

"Throw THEM in the boiler during a run." would have been a much better way to word that..
I think you meant "i'm sorry, i misunderstood the post. It was presumptuous of me to call someone stupid when I was the one who was mistaken".
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

My question is.

If your scrubbys need to be cleaned. Wouldn't your copper still need to ne cleaned to? So why wouldn't you just do a vinegar run in your still?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
RumRaider
Swill Maker

Post by RumRaider »

Prairiepiss wrote:My question is.

If your scrubbys need to be cleaned. Wouldn't your copper still need to ne cleaned to? So why wouldn't you just do a vinegar run in your still?
I use rolls of copper mesh in a stainless steel still. I have a few more rolls than i need in the column so, i can rotate one into the boiler for each run and keep them all clean. Plus, copper mesh is quiet as opposed to marbles or whatever else people use to break the boil. I was really just trying for a quiet run and the clean copper was an accidental bonus.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I don't know I've never felt the need to clean it.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
RumRaider
Swill Maker

Post by RumRaider »

Clean is good.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Since I quit distilling on grain and trying feed grade molasses, my copper mesh stays patina clean and the once a year heads run makes it temporarily bright.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

RumRaider wrote:Clean is good.
I would have to disagree with this statement. Due to the fact you didn't mention how clean your talking?

Rinsed off with the patiena still on it yes.
Bright and shiny no.

If you clean it to the shiny state. It will then have to build up the patiena again to the best job it can. This is one reason the subsequent runs after a vinegar run get progressively better.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
RumRaider
Swill Maker

Post by RumRaider »

So the sulphides collected on the copper mesh attract more sulphides better than straight copper mesh?
I dont scrub it, just boil it in the wash during runs. Each piece probably goes into the wash every fourth boil.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

The copper combines with the sulphur compounds to make salts which mostly fall back into the boiler. The copper very slowly gets eaten up. I imagine copper mesh will slow this process on the walls of a copper still, but with the sulphites at ppm levels or lower and the other sulphur compounds rarer that that, the copper will last a long time.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
tony2k35
Novice

Post by tony2k35 »

This is a good method for cleaning the copper mesh. But I thought that I needed to put the top on the jar is was using and it exploded :esurprised: . What a mess, but the copper mesh was clean and shiney.
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

Sorry for the old topic guys, but it's helpful. I was wondering how I would clean the copper mesh (was also thinking StarSan, as I have a lot of it), so now I know.

However, now the question - how often do you have to wash it? Certainly not every run, I would imagine?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I dont "wash" it. It doesn't need anything more than a soak in hot backset occasionally.
When or if it needs it, just drop in in the hot boiler after the run and let it soak as the still cools. Then rinse and air dry.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:48 pm I dont "wash" it. It doesn't need anything more than a soak in hot backset occasionally.
When or if it needs it, just drop in in the hot boiler after the run and let it soak as the still cools. Then rinse and air dry.
Yeah I was actually thinking of just dipping it in some old StarSan (before I dump it). What I want to know is "how often". Every 3rd run, every 10th run, etc. I have to add I have a copper column and lyne arm with a copper coil as well. I want to add the mesh purely for a bit of additional reflux.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:48 pm I dont "wash" it. It doesn't need anything more than a soak in hot backset occasionally.
Heck! I wish I had seen this thread before. :roll: :lol: Worth a shot next run!
-- Rrmuf
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

If no hot backset avail, try 5-5-1 solution:

500 mL distilled water
50 mL hydrogen peroxide
5 g acid powder (citric, tartar, blended, etc...)
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

rubberduck71 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:25 am If no hot backset avail, try 5-5-1 solution:

500 mL distilled water
50 mL hydrogen peroxide
5 g acid powder (citric, tartar, blended, etc...)
Yup. That’s what I do now; would be nice to avoid it though. I’m trying the backseats idea next!!!!! :lol:
-- Rrmuf
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Wow! Does this ever work well!!! I now have a use for backset! No prep, and no mess!

I guess you guys out west aren't all crazy after all! :lol:
-- Rrmuf