Large scale stills, looking for info.

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

AfricaUnite
Swill Maker

Large scale stills, looking for info.

Post by AfricaUnite »

Hey all Im doing a project at school where we create our own winery. Ive decided to use left over grape skins and pressings and sugar to make a vodka in order to diversify our product line and not waste anything from the wine production. As I am the "winemaker" in the group it will also give me something to do in the offseason.

I have to do a realistic cost analysis of setting up the winery, cost of land, equiptment, ect.

What im having trouble finding is information on large (1500-3000 litre) reflux stills. If anyone has a link to a maker of such stills or any information that would be excellent.

Thanks guys.

-AU
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

Africa unite, I read a most interesting post from middle north west somewhere, just can't recall now, but like Michigan, Min. , thereabouts, that the University system, had also with, would be personal distillers, went to Europe, and contracted for several distillery units at much reduced rates. The university is produceing quality products, as an incentive to state artesian distillers.

Just a thought, on how to approach the situation in your state.

I think it was MO. that did a test on apples, peaches etc. for guidelines.
Wish I had saved the sites for you.
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
Big J
Swill Maker

Post by Big J »

Here ya go:
http://www.americandistiller.com/Manufa ... efault.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

That's not every still maker obviously but some of the major ones for commercial distilleries.

Cheers,
J
AfricaUnite
Swill Maker

Post by AfricaUnite »

Beautiful link thanks! I think I found a winner, 300 gallons, $8000 I can fit that into the budget nicely. Many thanks.
Big J
Swill Maker

Post by Big J »

Which one is that?

Cheers,
J
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

I'll bet a drink, its Revenoors 300 gal. copper still.
>habit" Aristotle
AfricaUnite
Swill Maker

Post by AfricaUnite »

You are correct mtnwalker, its the Revenoors 300gallon stainless/copper.

Come to Ontario to claim your prize.
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

That would be fun. When are your first classes going to start?

Is the reason you got such a big one, because you have that many thirsty students? You'll have rhe entire campus enrolled.
>habit" Aristotle
AfricaUnite
Swill Maker

Post by AfricaUnite »

I think you may have misunderstood me mtnwalker. I am the student, I have a project that entails me creating my own winery. The distilling will be an offshoot of the winery producing vodka from the leftover grape remnants and sugar. This will provide my fictional winery with an added product to diversify our product lineup. Plus it will allow me to keep busy in the offseason. This is all a theory project but we have to provide a detailed cost analysis of the first 5 years of operation. I was unable to find pricing for large stills, which is why I created this thread. I wish I could someday teach a class in distilling.....
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

AfricaUnite I am also a student, I am taking thermodynamics this term, and I hope to be able to mathametically model a reflux still by the time I am done with my semester.
I've not use one(reflux) yet, I've been making rums, whiskeys and other flavor-saver spirits. But some of my friends like vodka, and I like vodka or gin martinis...neutral spirits could help my cordial production to.
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
AfricaUnite
Swill Maker

Post by AfricaUnite »

Interesting Possum, I started off making vodka and im now only just getting into making Whisky and Rum. So youve only used potstill's? My current still is just a 28L stainless steel job from brewhaus. I like it because of its flexibility, I can produce 90% vodka all day or take out a column and the packing and have it in pot still mode, which I am just using for the first time making UJSM.

I have a rum wash thats been fermenting for almost 2 weeks at 80F, its at 1.020 now so hopefully within the week I can run it.

I take a winery course through college, not nearly as complicated as thermodynamics!
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

I don't know about wine being less complex thsan thermo...I'm a pretty unsophisticated wine drinker and maker. I tend to drink my wine from the lower strata..Taylor red, sweet port, reislings....fruit wines like raspberry and blackberry, along with concord grape have been my main exposures. I do have a love for well made beer.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Thermo is a great class. I enjoyed it more than any other. It's been awhile since I had the class and I never use it other than in this hobby, but if you have any questions, I'd be glad to try to help out offline in PM's.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

Thanks Grayson
Hackers
Bootlegger

Post by Hackers »

="Grayson_Stewart"Thermo is a great class. I enjoyed it more than any other. It's been awhile since I had the class and I never use it other than in this hobby, but if you have any questions, I'd be glad to try to help out offline in PM's.
Hey Grayson, what have you done wrong? I see you are back to being an apprentice. is that all part of the circle of life:

Consciously incompetent
Unconsciously incompetent
Consciously competent
Unconsciously competent :D
Never do tomorrow what you can do today because if you like what you do today you can do it AGAIN tomorrow!
shinejar
Novice

Post by shinejar »

I'm brand new to this forum, and relatively ignorant in the matters of a reflux column and "nuetral spirits". I do know 'shine though.
The thing I'm seeing more of on this forum is a concern for strong potency and little to no flavor. I never knew one could acheive a vodka spirit from grapes. (as I stated, I'm relatively new here) I have always made vodkas from a potato or beet wine and they've allways hit the mark on flavor. I thought the sugars used in the wine/beer/mashing process is what gives the liquors their flavor... i.e. ... Vodka= potato or beets, Whiskey= grains, Gin= juniper berries, Rum = cane sugars/ molasses, Tequilla= blue agave cactus, brandies= fruits.... I've found this to be true, at least in what I've made. If one makes a nuetral spirit from grape peels, would it be a vodka? ...just curious. Please, I do not mean this post to be a snooty one, I really am curiuos about this.
(wish I had $8,000 in my budget ;)
"Indulge in that alchemy in which hard cash is transformed into a soft liquid of such potency that even the insolvent becomes dissolved!" -P.D.Q. Bach
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

the revenoor 300 gallon is the still i ordered for my distillery. it should be ready very soon and i'll post a pic when i get it.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Post by hornedrhodent »

="shinejar"
Please, I do not mean this post to be a snooty one, I really am curiuos about this.
(wish I had $8,000 in my budget ;)

My guess is that this is an assignment in an educational course. I doubt A.U. is really going to spend $8000 on an illegal hobby. If he was to make it legal it'd cost a lot more than that - ask Uncle Jesse.
AfricaUnite
Swill Maker

Post by AfricaUnite »

I thought I made this clear in previous posts but hornedrhodent is correct

This is for an educational course for educational purposes, I have no intent (in the near future) to purchase any of these stills

Good choice UJ let us know how it runs! How are you running it, propane electric?