Could'nt find copper mesh how 'bout using this?

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shinejar
Novice

Could'nt find copper mesh how 'bout using this?

Post by shinejar »

Been putting the final touches on my new rig, got pretty tired of trying to find copper mesh.
So, at my job, I work around electricians and have gathered a vast supply of wire. Various lengths ranging from a couple inches to a few feet. I stripped all the insulation off of these copper wires and wrapped each tightly around assorted sizes of pipe, making little springs. I then folded each spring around itself shaping them into slinky-like rings of different sizes. I have now stuffed(loosely) my 3 foot column (2" copper) with these and when held up to a light bulb I cannot see light passing anywhere through the column.
I hope that makes sence, ...I need to probably figure out how to post a pic.

My question is does this sound like it should work well, or should I just try to continue this hunt for this illusive mesh.
Thanks for any input you might have regarding this.
"Indulge in that alchemy in which hard cash is transformed into a soft liquid of such potency that even the insolvent becomes dissolved!" -P.D.Q. Bach
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

I think if it was me I would ask myself is the wire pure copper ? how restricted is the column ?IMO the copper or SS mesh is really what you would want .. here is a link to some mesh replace the XX in the HTTP with T T , maybe this will help ..hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/40ft-PURE-COPPER-MESH-STRUCTURED-REFLUX-STILL-PACKING_W0QQitemZ150071200566QQihZ005QQcategoryZ38172QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
masonjar
Swill Maker

Post by masonjar »

It will probably work, but nowhere near as good as real copper mesh. I got mine here:

http://www.amphora-society.com/equip_1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
masonjar
Swill Maker

Post by masonjar »

Hey new moon, why the hxxp?
triggernum5
Bootlegger

Post by triggernum5 »

I've recently done exactly that, and am not getting any results to complain about.. It wasn't easy/quick to form it or place it in a way I was content with.. I ended ip unstranding the wire loosely (~30ft heavy-duty extension cord), then re-twisting both ends together and twisted until I was happy with the strand density along its length, then coiled/folded that up the column..
I burned/cleaned the stranded wire first just incase it had been chemicallytreated.. Personally I'm not worried about the metal components other than copper that may be present.. There is no such thing as a pure metal..
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

masonjar wrote:Hey new moon, why the hxxp?
well some forums do not allow live links outside of there site.. so instead of making the url : address live I just replaced the TT with XX in the HTPP://
It might have been fine ,Im just being precautious .Im new here and dont want to be fresh meat for any wolves...heheheheh :D :D :D
dog1976
Novice

Post by dog1976 »

If you are in the US, you can get structured copper packing from
http://www.milehidistilling.com onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow . Look under Distillers and more, parts and supplies
for $10.95 a pound.