Do I need a Tri-Clamp

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

whitealchemist
Novice

Do I need a Tri-Clamp

Post by whitealchemist »

Howdy Folks,
I'm doing up a new rig now, and I'm about ready to run to the hardware plumbing supply house and could use some opinions on the Tri-Clamp.
I've used a couple of old pot stills in the past, and I do mean old. One was at least 120 years old, and the other was around 80 years old. On both of them we always used biscuit dough to seal up leaks, and got some good whiskey biscuits to munch on while we were doing our runs.
As of now, I'm building a new column still out of 2&1/2" pipe to attach to a beer keg. I'm wondering if the Tri-Clamp is necessary? Can buy something like a 2&1/2" to 1&1/2 reducer and fit it inside the keg opening, and surround it in biscuit dough? I have a nice workshop and tools and could adapt a reducer to do either. From what I've read on the board from some of the other members, is that some have to make a gasket out of silicon tape. I just don't know how I feel about silicon being involved in the process. I really want to keep it natural, but above all else I do want it to function properly.
maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Do I need a Tri-Clamp

Post by maheel »

see this thread it might give you some ideas

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=31681

but.....
a tri-clamp is like $10

those old stills you used were likley made with lead solder... and i would not worry to much about silicon if your drinking the liquor made....
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

You don't NEED a tri-clamp, but using one just makes it sooo easy to attach the still head. And a hard teflon gasket will last about forever in a tri-clamp flange.
Braz
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

I wouldn't use silicone gaskets. Lots of threads in here saying dont. I'm sure Rad will be all over it telling you not to. He might sound like he's lecturing you but I read all his posts and he gives sound advice. Some books say food grade silicone is safe but if you read the MSDS sheets it's not exactly stable when in contact with fuels. You can get a Teflon gasket with your tri clamp from McMaster Carr and other places. Sand down the bead a little will make it easier to connect. You can clamp the shit out of the hard gasket. It works good, lasts a long time and really makes the column connection rigid.
Only way to drink all day... is to start in the morning
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I have an old keg - it is actually aluminium - but don't worry I just use it to generate steam. Because it had a strange fitting I had a stainless nipple silver soldered into it.
Photo081.jpg
Photo082.jpg
I have a female adaptor that just screws onto the stainless nipple and is attached to my copper tube. There is 1 alternative option for you. :wink:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Braz wrote:You don't NEED a tri-clamp, but using one just makes it sooo easy to attach the still head. And a hard teflon gasket will last about forever in a tri-clamp flange.
+1
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
oakback
Novice

Post by oakback »

maheel wrote:see this thread it might give you some ideas

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=31681" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

but.....
a tri-clamp is like $10

those old stills you used were likley made with lead solder... and i would not worry to much about silicon if your drinking the liquor made....
And a PTFE tri-clamp gasket is less than $1.50.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Yes

BG
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

It's Memorial Day Weekend and I'm trying to relax so as long as you've already poisoned yourself using old stills made with lead based solder you might as well poison yourself more with silicone... :twisted:

But, seriously, I will refer you to Rule #8 of The Rules We Live By which pertains to acceptable materials... :thumbup:

Do you need a Tri-Clamp...??? No...!!! Do they make life easier...??? Yes...!!!