TIG copper to SS

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

level Joe
Swill Maker

TIG copper to SS

Post by level Joe »

Anyone know anything about TIG welding the copper 2" colunm (1 meter long) to the stainless steel of the boiler lid?
I'm thinking about taking a 6"pc. (1/6 meter) of the collumn and lid to the local weld shop. Is there anything special I need to tell them (argon gas only, special rod, special technique etc...) :?:
Thanks
level
allen42
Bootlegger

Post by allen42 »

IF it were me, i would get a SS coupling & have them weld THAT to the boiler & then solder male adapter to the colum , then it would be no doubts !and a damn pretty job as well !
fish
Novice

Post by fish »

I had a stainless coupling welded to the tank lid and then soldered a male threaded adapter to the column.
pangea

I don't think so.

Post by pangea »

Hey, my first post and i might actually be able to help someone! How cool is that? :D

I've been in the welding trade for over 25 years and the only way that I know of to join two metals that are as dissimilar as S/S and Copper is soldering, brazing, or friction. The first two can be done at a home shop. The third take huge resources.

Try cutting a hole that is a snug fit on your tube, stick the tube into the hole about 1/4th inch and flare it with light blows from a deadblow or ballpeen hammer. Then silver solder the flange that you formed to the S/S.

Good luck.
level Joe
Swill Maker

Post by level Joe »

Thanks but it sounds expensive in stainless. I’m having a hard time trying to find what it is you’re describing.
Is it a larger than 2” pipe w/ female threads, the female part of a SS union, something custom made… ? If it’s just a flat flange where do you find one w/ the right diameter hole w/ the right threads for the 2” male plumbing fitting? I don’t know were to look.

It does sounds very GOOD,
level
Salus populi suprema est lex. [L.] The safety of the people is the highest law.
level Joe
Swill Maker

Post by level Joe »

Sorry pangea i didnt see your post.
So first off, is TIG welding SS to copper out of the Question? It sounds as like it is.
level
Salus populi suprema est lex. [L.] The safety of the people is the highest law.
allen42
Bootlegger

Post by allen42 »

the SS fitting is a standard fitting , its just a coupling , same threads as the copper male adapter , just weld it to the top of the brolier( tig) and then solder the male adapter to the colum , then all you have to do is screw the colum onto the boiler ,, i got a friend to get mine for me from his work ,,, he cut it in 1/2 on a lathe too so it wasnt as long puls i have another 2" SS coupling when i get ready to make another !! \

where to get it from ? do you know anybody that works @ a nucelar plant ? they have em ,, also alot of plants use SS , that would be where i started at