SPP Packing

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sergiolis
Swill Maker

Re: SPP Packing

Post by sergiolis »

It's your choice ;-)
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I etched one batch, a gallon with Ferric acid. It is kind of dangerous stuff. It completely eats copper, gets extremely hot on any metal and is hard to get rid of.

I did it in a milk jug, because it won't eat plastic. The jug got to hot to touch and it took tons of sodium carbonate to neutralize. Then the SPP held too much liquid during a distillation. Made the SPP very slow.

I later mixed it with non etched just to not throw it away. I would not recommend it as a standard process.

SPP is very effective without the etching. Don't bother...

I etched a batch with heat also...that was worse! It brought al the carbon to the surface and rusted.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis »

Hi Dad,
(About etching I'd rather prefer not to)

Are you using gas or electrical heating?
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

DAD300 wrote:I etched one batch, a gallon with Ferric acid. It is kind of dangerous stuff. It completely eats copper, gets extremely hot on any metal and is hard to get rid of.

I did it in a milk jug, because it won't eat plastic. The jug got to hot to touch and it took tons of sodium carbonate to neutralize. Then the SPP held too much liquid during a distillation. Made the SPP very slow.

I later mixed it with non etched just to not throw it away. I would not recommend it as a standard process.

SPP is very effective without the etching. Don't bother...

I etched a batch with heat also...that was worse! It brought al the carbon to the surface and rusted.
Good info, thank you very much. I remember a time, years ago, when people were recommending etching for optimal performance. That got stuck in my mind and I assumed it was ideal or beneficial.
Cagey Ey
Novice

Post by Cagey Ey »

Mods, feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong place.

Hello, all. Not trying to thread jack but I'm guessing there's a lot of SPP masters on this thread and it's sort of related. This thread has moved on to wider diameter columns however I am sure there are those with narrower columns following.

I'm pretty sure 4.0 x 4.0 x 0.24 mm is an ok size for a 2" 30" column, and this is the size carried by a Russian company; SELIVANENKO SPP. Having searched, I've found just one instance of this company's name on HD with no corresponding comments.

I'm hoping someone here has tried this vendor and can comment as to the integrity and/or efficacy of their product.

In short, is this vendor trustworthy and how good is their product?

https://www.selivanenko.com/Spiral-pris ... -p76854528

Thanks in advance.

~Cagey
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Well I clicked on that link and it gave me a security warning. .... so .... thats what I think .
40D882F1-370E-4D34-BA60-8F54642BC834.jpeg
Cagey Ey
Novice

Post by Cagey Ey »

Yummyrum wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:03 am Well I clicked on that link and it gave me a security warning. .... so .... thats what I think .
40D882F1-370E-4D34-BA60-8F54642BC834.jpeg
Yikes! :wtf:

I'm not getting that warning, though. And I was on a company network which is firewall'd heavily when I visited that site... Weird. Either way, if no ones done business with 'em, I'll stay away.

~Cagey
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

SELIVANENKO redirects to https://store10648178.ecwid.com . They support paypal so you may not need to provide your credit card.

HTH
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

It appears they selling stainless SPP 5x5x.4mm for $45 per liter.

On their web page they claim to etch the SPP. Well that doesn't sound good from what DAD300 has stated previously.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

It seems they cater to "demand". If "etching" is better, yes, they have it. But DAD is right. No etching needed in SPP. SPP is high performance column packing. The surface area / evaporation theory needs to be replaced by the "bullet in a fish tank" analogy. Draining downwards is essential in high performance column packings. Etching prevents that ... even though it does increase surface area ... which is only applicable in low performance column packing environments, like 800 W per 2 inch column diameter instead of 2,800 W ...

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Now that's a nugget to to give a thought too. How much is too much.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Just a thought on etching
When you get out of the shower, look to see what surface has the most moister condensed on it.
It's always the smooth surface
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

shadylane wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:50 pm Just a thought on etching
When you get out of the shower, look to see what surface has the most moister condensed on it.
On me or on the shower?

Geoff
The Baker
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

LOL
That, was funny.
My double walled boiler build: The Mashimizer. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64980
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

The Baker wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:51 pm
shadylane wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:50 pm Just a thought on etching
On me or on the shower?

Geoff
I better blame that one on the moonshine :roll:
I was thinking of the mirror, tiles and other smooth surfaces
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I’m guessing surface tension for alcohol will be a lot less than water.
Does packing behave more efficiently at the start or end of the run ?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The Baker wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:51 pm On me or on the shower?
Old farts dont have smooth surfaces.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:15 pm
The Baker wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:51 pm On me or on the shower?
Old farts don't have smooth surfaces.
Good one, Salty.

Geoff
The Baker
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I've been giving serious thought to making my own SPP, but I always keep my eye out for some place that makes larger SPP for my 3" column. So far this place makes the biggest I've seen, but not only is it etched, it's more expensive than most. It's unfortunate.
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

Dear all,

Sorry to tack this on and the end of this topic but I'm have a small issue with my SPP. I built a jig to make a small amount for my 2" column. It winds beautifully and makes nice shapes but then when it gets to the end of the Mandel it springs open loosely like this.
20201112_133112.jpg
Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've used 0.3mm wire and also 0.8mm and both do this. Tried different tensions with the same effect.

Thank you for any help you can give,
C
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

How big is your bit/mandrel ?
What kind of wire is that?
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

The mandrel is 5mm and the wire is 304 SS 0.31mm annealed wire. I've had some more success today actually. I think the feed angle was too steep, causing it to wind as a spring instead of almost perpendicular to the mandrel. Any tips greatly appreciated. Took 3 hours to make 700ml!
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

Glad to hear you're making progress. Feed angle and tension are important also. Good luck.
ginfitz
Novice

Post by ginfitz »

I just bought 2 liters of 5x5 SPP stainless packing from Doctor Gradus on ebay. How do you recommend cleaning this before the sacrificial run? Thanks
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

Soak it in vinegar for a day. Then run it with your sacrificial.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

7 Years later still not got SPP for my 3" Boka.

Wth copper blocker I can get a clean 3 to 3.5 LPH with a 40% charge and 5.33 LPH both at 95%

I see odins post of OSPP and bunch of different sized Dad300 rferfs to size C .. So what size.. Based on reading 1/10 to 1/12 the column size means about 6.5 to 7.8mm My goal is the go a bit faster than 3 LPH say 4 LPH and be rock solid whole run till done.. I can easily put about 52" - scrubbies to hold it.. but seen DAD300 only needs 30" Trying to figure out if better to buy or try making it.. Also was reading on marbles and lava rock too.. but liek the idea of SPP in stainless for easy cleaning.

B
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

bitter wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:56 pm 7 Years later still not got SPP for my 3" Boka.

Wth copper blocker I can get a clean 3 to 3.5 LPH with a 40% charge and 5.33 LPH both at 95%

I see odins post of OSPP and bunch of different sized Dad300 rferfs to size C .. So what size.. Based on reading 1/10 to 1/12 the column size means about 6.5 to 7.8mm My goal is the go a bit faster than 3 LPH say 4 LPH and be rock solid whole run till done.. I can easily put about 52" - scrubbies to hold it.. but seen DAD300 only needs 30" Trying to figure out if better to buy or try making it.. Also was reading on marbles and lava rock too.. but liek the idea of SPP in stainless for easy cleaning.

B
I recently purchased 5L of 5x5 SPP for my 3” column on eBay, which resulted in about 43” packed height. It doesn’t meet the suggested guidelines for size in a 3”, but still worked fine. Before ever using the stuff, I did A TON of reading on this forum to have a solid crack at getting good results right out the gate. I’ve probably read this thread about 8 times among others.

The stuff works, that’s for sure. I did a test run since I needed to use the alcohol to finish some cleaning of new still parts. I only had some nasty feints on hand for the run. I successfully achieved the magic aquatic environment at the top of the packing which required almost 5,000 watts for my setup. I played with the take off rate with my VM valve and was able to draw off near azeo at 3qt per hour, probably could have ran even faster with a higher ABV charge and reached full azeo. Pretty sure my watered down feints were around 20%ABV and only 5gal diluted. At 2qt per hour it was full azeo.

Since the still was basically completely clean before the run, I did sneak a tiny, diluted down taste about half way through and promptly spit it out and rinsed. Considering the nasty crap I loaded in the boiler I couldn’t believe how clean and odorless it was. Tasted and smelled like premium vodka. I was blown away.

The eBay stuff was from Dr Gradus. I can attest to its quality. One thing though… the stuff comes covered in manufacturing oil. I did several cleaning regimens, but the best one by far was putting it in the dishwasher which I should have done prior to the vinegar, water and sacrificial alcohol runs. The detergent did a fantastic job cleaning off the oil. I just used a vinyl brew bag to keep it all contained and rinsed by hand several times after to get all the remaining detergent out.

After the run I rinsed it with hot water. To keep it dry for storage, I spread it out on a large beach towel and aimed a box fan at it. Bone dry the next morning. I’ve also read you can use the oven too.

Hope this gives some confidence for the sizes available online.

I’m very excited to make some tasty vodka with it!
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Thanks Brian.. Thats what I expected.. I figure need at least 4000 if not 5000 Watts input... be really kewl if could run full 5500 and be really clean.. like anything I'm sure there is a sweet spot that over time you will fine.

As I said I can do 3.5LPH with my current setup and copper blocker but tis packed pretty tight and need to slow output down over time.

I also found download/file.php?id=61046&mode=view that is a big help.. so looks like 5x5 the biggest I want as only have 5500W

B
sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis »

Hi Guys!!!
I was reading again about SPP and found this statement:
1st version: "With an increase in the weight of one liter of SPP, the cost of the separation ability increases, and the result is the same for all the big money. In addition, the throughput decreases, which means that sooner there will be a choke and as a whole it will be necessary to work with lower productivity."
2nd version: " With the increase in the weight of one liter of the nozzle, the cost of the separating ability increases, the same result is obtained for more and more money. In addition, the throughput decreases, which means that there will be a flood earlier and, in general, you will have to work at a lower productivity."

Just wondering if I put more SPP per square inch, I mean more density, it will flood before at a given wattage? I would like to know how are related density, wattage and flooding.
I'm a bit confused, my physics knowledge is catastrophic. Thanks in advance ;-)
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:36 pm
bitter wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:56 pm 7 Years later still not got SPP for my 3" Boka.

B
I recently purchased 5L of 5x5 SPP for my 3” column on eBay, which resulted in about 43” packed height. It doesn’t meet the suggested guidelines for size in a 3”, but still worked fine. Before ever using the stuff, I did A TON of reading on this forum to have a solid crack at getting good results right out the gate. I’ve probably read this thread about 8 times among others.

The stuff works, that’s for sure. I did a test run since I needed to use the alcohol to finish some cleaning of new still parts. I only had some nasty feints on hand for the run. I successfully achieved the magic aquatic environment at the top of the packing which required almost 5,000 watts for my setup. I played with the take off rate with my VM valve and was able to draw off near azeo at 3qt per hour, probably could have ran even faster with a higher ABV charge and reached full azeo. Pretty sure my watered down feints were around 20%ABV and only 5gal diluted. At 2qt per hour it was full azeo.

Since the still was basically completely clean before the run, I did sneak a tiny, diluted down taste about half way through and promptly spit it out and rinsed. Considering the nasty crap I loaded in the boiler I couldn’t believe how clean and odorless it was. Tasted and smelled like premium vodka. I was blown away.

The eBay stuff was from Dr Gradus. I can attest to its quality. One thing though… the stuff comes covered in manufacturing oil. I did several cleaning regimens, but the best one by far was putting it in the dishwasher which I should have done prior to the vinegar, water and sacrificial alcohol runs. The detergent did a fantastic job cleaning off the oil. I just used a vinyl brew bag to keep it all contained and rinsed by hand several times after to get all the remaining detergent out.

After the run I rinsed it with hot water. To keep it dry for storage, I spread it out on a large beach towel and aimed a box fan at it. Bone dry the next morning. I’ve also read you can use the oven too.

Hope this gives some confidence for the sizes available online.

I’m very excited to make some tasty vodka with it!
The other day I emailed that Russian company asking about using their 5x5 SPP with my 3" VM still and and this was their reply.
3.5x3.5 has much more surface area, so it’s easier to get high ABV alcohol, by using SPPs. As an example, you can have look at our column Cosmo 3 inch which has 3 feet of height filled with SPP 3.5mm with power of 3000w it’s able to produce 5 quarts an hour of 96.0-96.6 ABV.

If you’re going to use 5x5 SPP and wish to have a closer result, you could heat with more power than 3kwt, because 5x5 SPP has much more space to come through and by having a height of 3 feet or 4 feet it’s going to produce 95-96 ABV with the speed of 5-6 quarts.
Now if you go to their website you'll notice that it claims their 3" still with 3.5x3.5 SPP can produce 2.5 lph (0.66 gph). Well their email claims it produces 4.7 lph (1.25 gph) that's a HUGE disparity. I don't know what to believe, but they made it clear, at least in the email they sent me, they recommend the 3.5x3.5 SPP over the 5.5x5.5. I just figured I'd post this information in case it helps anyone.

Based on traditional SPP dimensions, the 5.5x5.5 wire appears significantly undersized if I'm not mistaken. It is my understanding the wire 5x5x5 SPP traditionally use wire between 0.6-0.7 mm and theirs use 0.2 mm wire.
Last edited by Salt Must Flow on Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.