Cleaning heavily tarnished copper

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Re: Cleaning heavily tarnished copper

Post by Rrmuf »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:07 pm Gotta try this. Is backset more effective hot than at ambient temp?
.... I have only tried it hot, but my sense is that the effectiveness does drop once it has cooled down.
-- Rrmuf
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thank you, gentlemen.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

If you want to experiment ok, I'll do it too but on a practical level no .... any acid solution will do the job (of course there is different power based on the type of acid) even lemon (read natural citric acid). After the acid passage I recommend a passage with a basic substance (for example bicarbonate) for the neutralization of residues that would produce a lot of oxide.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:48 pm
I admit those copper tri-clamps looked sexy. I just assumed they were done by an electro-plating outfit and pretty pricy.
Sure, companies will preform copper electroplating for a price. But both crystal and liquid sources of cupric sulfate can be easily found and purchased. For better quality copper electroplating of smaller items at home though, one would want to acquire some cyanide based copper plating solution. “John Q. Public” could still purchase small quantifies of cyanide solution for hobbyist, jewelry and craft applications a few years ago; probably still can – I don't know.
copper-plating.jpg
Although some (but not all) forms of cyanide are poisonous, organizations like the EPA are much more focused and restrictive of electrolytes that use chromium trioxide; which is far more environmental persistent.

cu_ft_sol.jpg
Cyanide-based solution would mainly be used for the underlying base coat, allowing the following copper acid or copper alkali layers to adhere better. Those trays and bins of new copper plumbing fittings you see in lumber or hardware stores are still relatively cheap, because they are fake copper. Just like our pennies now, those plumbing fittings are zinc alloy pieces that have been electroplated in copper-cyanide solution.
coppexternal.jpg
This little .pdf is very informative -----> https://www.nmfrc.org/pdf/p1199l.pdf
Omnia mea mecum porto
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thanks Contrahead. Very informative.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer